Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

KISS Dorks

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't see you cover this but any thoughts on Hard to Believe: A KISS Covers Compilation released around 1987-1988?

Just curious since it features covers done by several of the "grunge" era bands (Skin Yard, Melvins, Coffin Breakers, and Nirvana).

Track Listing
-Side A: 1. Detroit Rock City by Bullet LaVolta 2. Parasite by Smelly Tongues 3. Snowblind by Skin Yard 4. Deuce by Hellmen 5. Christine 16 by All 6. Dr. Love by Hullabaloo
- Side B: 1. God of Thunder by Melvins 2. Beth by Coffin Break 3. Rip It Out by Chemical People 4. I Want You by King Snake Roost 5. Do You Love Me? by Nirvana 6. Lick It Up by Hard Ons

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I actually haven't heard that one, outside of Nirvana's cover. Melvins cover of "Goin' Blind" nearly made KISS My Ass but Gene Simmons chose Dinosaur Jr's version inste

FroGG_NeaL

WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
Reaction score
This is an awesome thread, Kamala. You still gonna finish it?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Eventually. I'm honestly busy watching/reviewing all of the WrestleManias. So a combination of that and my lack of interest in the current lineup of KISS are gonna hold it back a bit. Should be up at some point.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kiss is gonna get inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Rawk on Kamala.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
Tears Are Falling is one of their best songs. Probably top five with Strutter, Love Gun, Black Diamond and I.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1475908_10151816612457036_1579763528_n.jpg

I'm so psyched that it sounds like the original lineup will play one last time at the ceremony.

I honestly wouldn't care if they never got inducted since I think the concept of the R&R HOF is inherently flawed but at the same time, it's nice that they got in and finally got a nod of recognition from those old timer mainstream music critics that have always ignored them at best and usually demeaned them.

Retiring after the induction ceremony would be a fitting sendoff but knowing Gene, he'll milk a few more tours out of this, probably with the bastardized lineup. I think it's best for all parties involved that the original four don't play together on a regular basis anymore.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Metallica going in before KISS was wrong, and I'm saying that as somebody who still considers the first three Metallica albums to be three of the best albums ever written.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean the fact that KISS got inducted in the same class as Nirvana, a band who said KISS was a big influence on them and came out 15 years after KISS, really demonstrates my point of how nonsensical the concept of a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's just a tourist attraction. The only reason I think they let KISS get inducted is because there just aren't that many acts that are critically respectable but commercially successful to induct.

I'm as excited about this as I would be if Universal Studios announced that they were going to have a KISS World section of the park or something. And don't doubt that Gene Simmons is trying to make something like that happen.

BurningPirateShipSex

BurningPirateShipSex
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
I mean the fact that KISS got inducted in the same class as Nirvana, a band who said KISS was a big influence on them and came out 15 years after KISS, really demonstrates my point of how nonsensical the concept of a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is.

You forgot Hall and Oates.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Zimmerman Lynched My Skittles said:
Tears Are Falling is a great song, but I don't recall saying it was the best KISS song ever.
Zimmerman Lynched My Skittles said:
Tears Are Falling is one of their best songs. Probably top five with Strutter, Love Gun, Black Diamond and I.
WTH?

And Hall & Oates getting inducted is long, long overdue. They're the most successful duo in pop music history (at least charts-wise). It's baffling that they weren't even nominated before this year.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Tears Are Falling" might be the best non-makeup era song. At least in the Top Three for me with "Heaven's On Fire" and "Unholy".

Also my write ups on Sonic Boom and Monster...they're not very good. Although Sonic Boom is marginally better than you'd expect a KISS album released in 2009 to be. Monster isn't one of KISS worst albums but it's probably in the Bottom Five. Which is too bad because the first single, "Hell or Hallelujah" was probably the best KISS song of the past twenty years. Faint praise I know but it combined what I like about '70s KISS and '80s KISS in one song.

I also saw KISS in August at Meadowbrook Farms, this smallish by KISS standards (6,500 seats) outdoor ampitheatre in bumfuck New Hampshire and it was fantastic. Surprisingly, just my second time seeing them. Way better than the first.

1146580_10101148178348239_1451325174_n.jpg

Greatest night of my life.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
KISS experimented with hip-hop once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWOYT3n06x0

Seriously, is there ANYTHING KISS didn't try to do?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"All Hell's Breakin' Loose" would also be in my Top 5 list of Favorite Non Make Up era KISS songs.

I don't think KISS has ever experimented with electronica/techno stuff but that's pretty much the ONLY major musical trend of the past forty years off the top of my head that I don't think KISS has experimented with. Knowing Gene Simmons, there will probably be a dubstep song on the next KISS album.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Also my write ups on Sonic Boom and Monster...they're not very good.

Speaking of these two, do you think you can do (or redo if you're not happy with them) within the next 12 weeks? ;)

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't gotten any but I could whip something up (while also mentioning all of the members solo "comeback" albums in the '00s and the various versions of Alive IV/Alive Symphony). Honestly, I'd have to listen to each again. I've listened to Monster once all the way through and Sonic Boom one or two more than that.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you could, that would be awesome. As it stands right now, those would be Part 13 so you've got a lot of time. I also did a pretty sweet cover image for it and want to use it. ;)

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nature Boy said:
King Kamala said:
"Uh! All Night"

uhhh this song ruels bro
King Kamala said:
I actually enjoy the song but it's dumb as fuck even by KISS standards. And it's really baffling that it took three people to write those lyrics!
I just listened to Revenge in its entirety for the first time in a few years and "Take It Off" makes "Uh! All Night" look like "Ballad of a Thin Man" in comparison.

The live version is great if you're a fan of Paul Stanley overcompensating in refuting gay rumors. "HOW MANY GUYS OUT THERE LIKE LOOKIN' AT NAKED WOMEN, LET ME HERE YOU!!?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFUwwUX_r14

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While we celebrate the life of Martin Luther King, one of the greatest Americans who helped make the world a better place. Let's not forget that today is the birthday of another great American who, in his own way, has made the world a little bit better!
426604_2624722456903_1803739358_n.jpg

Happy Birthday to "The Starchild" Paul Stanley

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
A story he would breathlessly recount a few years later with his solo band, Frehley's Comet in the unintentional comedy classic "Rock Soldiers"

Hey man, I earnestly like this song and think it rules. It also got me to check out a bunch of Kiss and re-read this thread. Awesome stuff, worth bumping.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq2jtzOe1Bw

have you heard of this spoken word 'album'? Most if not all seems to be on YouTube. Today this would be like an extended mini-podcast series or something, but I ctrl-f'd 'aucoin' and '13 classic' and found nothing.

I haven't listened to this yet myself but I imagine a lot of it will be covered by what you've written in here. I'm just curious as to the credibility of this guy.

During the recording sessions for the song, Criss was the only Kiss member in the studio, making it the only Kiss song that features no instrumental performances by any member of the band.

I find this really funny considering Beth was also their biggest hit.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't listened to Aucoin's spoken word album but I think he is fairly credible due to the fact that he managed KISS during their first decade.

I only say fairly cause he was apparently a Keith Moon-esque party animal during that time. He also managed Billy Idol during his heyday. Too bad he died before he could write an autobiography because he's got a hell of a story.