Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Major League Baseball 2024

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Boring World Series prediction: Dodgers over Astros in five
Spicy World Series prediction: Mariners over Marlins in 7. Fox contemplates canceling the World Series for more episodes of The Masked Singer

Home team predictions: Idk. We’ll probably finish 78-84 for the third straight season in a row. Kind of stuck in the worst place you can be as a franchise where you’re not good enough to be a playoff contender but not bad enough to bottom out and force a massive retooling.

Last edited:

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd be ecstatic if we made it to the World Series this year, but I feel like we're either losing a competitive ALCS or get absolutely waxed in the divisional.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No one really stands out as an obvious favorite in the AL to me so that’s why the Astros are my safe pick cause they’ve won it most frequently in recent years.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Normally I'd say they were saving Yu Darvish since he only threw 3 IP but considering that starters are not being forced to even go 5-6 IP I no longer know if that was true or if it was just a normal outing for him.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
If they found out Ohtani bet on games Pete Rose would be unbanned from baseball about 10 minutes later
Yeah, a friend of mine said Ohtani should get Pete Rose'd and I responded with "Manfred cares more about ratings than the integrity of the game, no way Ohtani so much as gets suspended over it."

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Worst case scenario, Ohtani bet on baseball including his own team's games at the moment. Result, my guess, of that worst case: no consequences for Ohtani, no change for Rose, and MLB sues the American Heart Association (Joe Jackson's charity).

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
White Sox released veterans Mike Moutsakas and Kevin Pillar. Nationals released Zach Davies. Hyped prospect Jackson Chourio has made the Brewers roster. Wyatt Langford has made the Rangers roster so this could make for a fun ROY season to watch.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jackson Chourio getting this chance helps salve the bummer that's been Milwaukee's offseason (and the past several years in general).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There might be a day where I am willing to look past Curt Schilling’s off the field/post retirement activities and reappraise his HOF worthiness but it is not going to be within a year of Tim Wakefield’s death!

Although, and @alkeiper can correct me if I’m wrong, but there is probably not a precedent for HOF candidates revealing their teammate’s fatal illness against the teammate and his family’s wishes!

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
No one has kicked Ric Flair out of a Hall of Fame as far as I know.

I'll say this about Schilling's candidacy. He topped out at 71.1%. I'm not sure if anyone except Bonds and Clemens got over 60% who isn't in. If Schilling could keep his mouth shut and play nice he would get inducted easily.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe starting these seasons in late March is a bad idea (especially for East Coast and Midwestern teams).

As horrible it is for me and any other Boston fan with a day job, it’s nice that the Red Sox are starting their season with a West Coast road trip.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Angels/Orioles is now the earliest game, 3:05pm ET. Reds kick off at four along with seven other games.

Looks like MLB Network has a 4pm game and 10pm game. ESPN has the Cubs/Rangers game at 7, the only game in that window.

I don’t have a specific matchup I’m psyched for, but I’m curious what the A’s draw in their home opener.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All they had to do was put that Mets/Brewers opener in Milwaukee. Etc. Knowing the weather patterns in certain cities or whether stadiums have roofs is some kind of impossible voodoo maths for these people.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
As someone who despises the trend of having an off-day after your season opener, I'm a-ok with the Braves opener being postponed as it just eliminates that bullshit. Suck my ass MLB.

Staff member
Reaction score
All they had to do was put that Mets/Brewers opener in Milwaukee. Etc. Knowing the weather patterns in certain cities or whether stadiums have roofs is some kind of impossible voodoo maths for these people.
Yeah I really don't get it. Have the entire opening week in stadiums with roofs or in warmer locales. Problem solved.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Fifty years ago, opening day starters included Hall of Famers Jim Palmer, Catfish Hunter, Nolan Ryan, Bert Blyleven and Bob Gibson. How many of today’s starters will end up in Cooperstown?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just read an interesting stat that Alex Cora is 0-5 on Opening Day.

I guess it is good I won’t be able to stay up late and watch these games.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Fifty years ago, opening day starters included Hall of Famers Jim Palmer, Catfish Hunter, Nolan Ryan, Bert Blyleven and Bob Gibson. How many of today’s starters will end up in Cooperstown?
This question was prompted by noticing the starters today (and tomorrow in a couple cases) seem to be an uninspired bunch. But taking a closer look, here's the top eight in active Wins Above Replacement.

1. Yu Darvish

Doesn't seem like a great candidate, but add in his NPB totals and you're looking at 196 career wins. Would need another great season at least to have any kind of case.

2. Jose Quintana

.500 pitcher, only once making the Cy voting. No real shot.

3. Zack Wheeler

Actively building his case. What will future Hall voters do about low win totals and low innings pitched totals? At some point they're not going to put a pitcher in for ten years and need to reassess.

4. Luis Castillo

Meh

5. Nathan Eovaldi

Only 79 wins at the age of 34, but he went 5-0 in the 2023 postseason.

6. Kyle Freeland

Underrated pitcher in Colorado but his win/loss record is underwater.

7. Shane Bieber

60-32, he's only 28 and he's won a Cy Young award.

8. Zac Gallen

If he repeats 2023 a few times you've got something.

All that said, the top 10 in active WAR are Verlander, Kershaw, Scherzer, Sale, deGrom, Cole, Nola, Darvish, Lynn and Sonny Gray. Only one of them are in an opening day lineup. Most are hurt. It says something about the active state of starting pitching. Also how underappreciated Aaron Nola seems to be.