Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB 2022 Regular Season Thread

The Thread Killer

Get off my damn lawn
Reaction score
I find it odd that the Jays traded for Whit Merrifield. He was one of the four members of the Kansas City roster who did not make the recent road trip to Toronto because he has refused to be vaccinated and couldn’t cross the border. I assume either he has changed his mind or they have obtained an exemption of some kind.

The Thread Killer

Get off my damn lawn
Reaction score
I find it odd that the Jays traded for Whit Merrifield. He was one of the four members of the Kansas City roster who did not make the recent road trip to Toronto because he has refused to be vaccinated and couldn’t cross the border. I assume either he has changed his mind or they have obtained an exemption of some kind.
Just saw him interviewed. He claims he has gotten the vaccine and will be cleared to come to Toronto as soon as this road trip is over. Rumour has it he actually had it written into his contract that he would only get the vaccine if he got traded to a contending team.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
The Mets just finished taking 4 of 5 from the Braves, extending their NL East lead to 6.5 games.

This is especially great since a few weeks ago Buster Olney was celebrating the Braves taking over first when they were still 0.5 games back. Last week he said that the Yankees, Astros, and Dodgers will be fighting it out for first place in MLB by the end of the season. I asked him what about the Mets, since they were the only other team with a winning percentage over .600. He tried to say he only listed the top 3 teams, but he wasn't a Twitter character limit. One week later, their lead is 6.5 games, and they are currently tied for second.

The Thread Killer

Get off my damn lawn
Reaction score
So long (again) JBJ!
Welp…for some reason the Jays decided JBJ was needed in T.O. because apparently we’re collecting outfielders now. We have Gurriel, Springer, Hernandez, Tapia, Zimmer, Whitfield and now JBJ. I know Springer is hurt, but that still seems excessive to me.

Mind you, the Jays made a play for Bradley before he signed with the Brewers a couple years back. And now they finally got him. So…yay us, I guess?

Last edited:

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’d probably have to ask Al, but I‘m pretty sure that the Yankees were the first team ever in MLB history to have two straight innings with only two at-bats in their 1-0 loss in 13 innings to the Mariners last night.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Haha nice, it was pretty crazy to see a game that went 4 innings after the ninth that didn't have any runs scored until the game ended. It's kept me up wait too late, especially considering all the crazy ways the Yankees ran themselves out of the innings.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
With the new extra innings rule where a runner starts on second, we could see that a little more often. Probably not a lot, but it'll probably happen again. Ground into a double play to start, then the next guy gets out.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Tigers finally showed Al Avila the door. But not before he could shit the team up a little more.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Miami Marlins have now gone 15 consecutive games scoring 3 runs or less.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Milwaukee's struggles since the trade deadline continue. Taylor Rogers, acquired for Josh Hader, blew the game yesterday. The other major league arm coming back on that deal, Dinelson Lamet, was let go shortly after the trade, picked up by Colorado, and has been awesome for them. Near-season long offensive struggles also continue after the team refused to acquire any bats, not for the lineup nor bench, at the deadline. They had a 3 game lead before the Hader trade and immediately lost that. Crept back up after the two game Rays sweep. But they're back to second after losing the St Louis series and only a few more games against them left. Wild card won't be an option.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd be kind of shocked if King Felix made it to the HOF. Idk if his chances would be a lot better if he played the vast majority of his career on a winning team but spending it on a dumpy team like the '00s/'10s Mariners certainly doesn't help.

A few fun facts related to that perfect game I just found out. While we haven't had a perfect game since this one, the 2012 season was the first to feature THREE perfect games, two of which happened at SafeCo Field.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hey remember a month ago when people were talking about the Yankees challenging for the all time regular season wins record?

(You know it's a mediocre BoSox season when I'm mostly celebrating the Yankees not being historically great!)

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Buck Showalter will not stop pitching Joely Rodriguez in high leverage situations. He gets burnt nearly every time.

Love Buck but his bullpen management scares the shit out of me

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
As a lover of crappy sports, I'm surprised Patrick Corbin being on pace to being the first 20 game loser since Mike Maroth hasn't been brought to my attention until rn.
Corbin had a ten day break and I figured he lost his spot as bad starters will. But the Nats keep pitching him and he lost his 17th on Sunday.

The Nats' roster has Corbin, Josiah Gray and Erick Fedde as regular starters. Also on the roster are Paolo Espino (13 starts, 0-5), Anibal Sanchez (7 starts, 0-5) and Cory Abbott (4 starts, 0-2). The only other pitcher currently on the 40 man to get regular starts is Joan Adon. He was sent down after going 1-12.

The upshot of this is besides pitching Corbin, the Nats either need to call up Cade Cavalli, pitch someone else who is going to lose anyway, or burn a 40 man roster spot on some retread who will probably lose anyway. It looks like the Nats skipped at least one Corbin spot this month and teams are loathe to let a pitcher lose 20. But the crunch of trying to get enough innings from the staff will probably force the Nats to use Corbin if he's healthy. On a regular rotation Corbin has about seven starts to lose three, so I like his chances.

Edited to add: Nationals' starting pitchers. 23-67, 5.93 ERA. The next worse team in the majors is the Rockies, 5.27.

Last edited:

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Nationals ticket office needs something to advertise for September games and I guess bad history would be better than nothing.

It's hard to believe that they won a World Series three years ago.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
WTH happened with that team and Corbin? They fell off hard since winning it all. And I know he's not some HOF pitcher, but how did he get so bad to possibly lose 20 games? That's just insane.