Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Music comments that don't warrant a thread

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. They were very much still a cohesive unit when Return of Saturn dropped in '99 though the signs were there. By the time Rocksteady came in '01, they were definatley "The Gwen Show co-starring...".

Gwen's romance with Gavin Rossdale didn't help things.

I'm blaming her upsurge on the decline of the band. Rings Of Saturn just didn't feel right to me. Rocksteady is straight up bad and might as well be the first Gwen solo album, anyway.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was surprised to see a couple Return of Saturn 20th Anniversary nostalgia articles earlier this year. I guess music writers get bored during pandemic too. "New" might be my favorite No Doubt song though. Either that or "Spiderwebs".

Only other mildly distinct personality is the drummer who likes classic rock and getting naked and he just stole that persona from RHCP. I honestly don't know if I could identify their guitar player in a police lineup.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Ex-Girlfriend is probably my favorite No Doubt song. ROS is a pretty decent record, honestly.

The video for "Bathwater" was a telling sign of "Yeah, this girl and this girl only is going places".

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
None of you would make it as a A&R executives. Why the hell would you want to give more focus to the three undescript dudes in No Doubt? Gwen Stefani was obviously the star. It's not like they had ripping kickass solos.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What are you talking about, the pretty lady with the unique voice wasn't the star. It was this guy, look at how kooky he is

cf5c00df0830043ca185d9ff8170250a.jpg

s-l300.jpg

drummer-adrian-young-of-no-doubt-backstage-during-day-2-of-sunset-picture-id175703192

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
No one is saying she shouldn't have broke out on her own, me and Vale were trying to pinpoint when exactly it was clear that she would. I even said on the last page that I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner!

Valeyard

Reaction score
She was going to break out anyway, naturally. My comment is the quality of No Doubt in general suffered because not only was she bigger than the band but stopped giving as much of a shit when it came to No Doubt projects. It all wound up Gwen pop records instead of the more ska stuff, and I much prefer that era of essentially her. But the video for "It's My Life" really sums it up, literally her killing them one by one and being the sole focus of the video.

And I thought you and I were mostly on the same page with '80s SNL. I will throw down if I have to, like the mighty Ebersole.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Friend is on social media looking on tips to reach a celebrity to grant a dying person's wish. I sent a few things I've done in the past with wrestlers and actors that have responded to me. Essentially, if Batman isn't answering, Tweet Robin. If it's someone that catches a lot of negativity, send something positive that'll stand out.

She just PM'd me the specifics, her friend is a caregiver for a terminally ill Metallica fan and they're trying to get the members of Metallica to send something to the fan, outside of Cameo type settings. The biggest thing that's keeping them pessimistic is that the patient's an adult and not a child "feel good" situation (their words). I said Lars can't be TOO hard to reach, just send him something positive, ANYTHING positive that'll stand out against all the angry 43 year olds still bitching about Napster. "Hi, Lars, big fan, but I know an even bigger fan that could use some encouragement from you and the guys..." could go a long way.

I'm welcoming any ideas y'all can throw this way for me to pass along. As of right now they're trying to get in touch with the booking agent for the band. My friend and her spouse both have some show biz connections but Metallica is a little bigger than their usual dealings.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would just say keep it simple and succinct. If they read it and that story doesn't get them, it's a problem with their schedule or their soul. I think good thing is metal stars seem more accessible than mainstream rock & pop or hip hop. Metallica is a strong reach but hey maybe, you'll be able to get it to them by playing "telephone telephone, tell someone on Twitter"

Reactions: SFH

Valeyard

Reaction score

One of my best friends told me to watch reaction videos. I'm lukewarm. Then this popped up and made me realize I've been doing this kind of thing to people for 20 years with this very song.

• Haha
Reactions: Laz

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Lost in Vegas is a great reaction video channel. They give a lot of styles a chance and it's always fun to see two guys who've never heard Black Sabbath turn it in and have their jaws drop.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The aspect of these videos I really appreciate is that when it works it gives you that feeling of hearing a song you've known and played forever feel kinda like you're hearing it again for the first time. That jealousy of not being able to hear it for the first time again. He sent me a bunch of Johnny Cash "Hurt" reaction vids and it's insane seeing people react to that for the first time.

The Sabbath ones prove what everyone knows: everyone really likes "Paranoid."

Laz

Reaction score
Shit. Tye has some insane shoes to fill, given his dad is still active and considered one of the better bassists in rock/metal.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I think that could be its own thread. Between Paris Jackson putting a record out and this, there's enough to justify some second generation discussion, even if it just becomes the Wallflowers thread.

Laz

Reaction score
Jimmy Fallon summarizes the shit of modern society as a whole

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I was out at a bar celebrating a friend's birthday (remember when that was a thing? lololol) back in January and I saw a flyer that the bar was hosting a Dolly lookalike contest. Didn't enter but I did send it on a group chat so hopefully someone I know did.

Laz

Reaction score
Megan Trainor is proof that Nantucket must be destroyed.

Valeyard

Reaction score
As a huge Wings fan I have romanticized Nantucket.

Unrelated post: I have never had a positive experience with anyone in a Hatebreed shirt. It's always Hatebreed, too.

Reactions: Laz