Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA Playoffs 2024

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Celtics sweep the Pacers by coming back again with a late 7-0 run. Good to see their mental toughness but it'd be nice if the Celtics wouldn't have to do this in the Finals.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That was as tough of a series as a sweep can get. Honestly, it is very easy to imagine Indiana being up 3-1 rn. Pacers fans should still feel p. good about their future.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn, I've been dreading the day that Barkley retires. Luckily, there's hours and hours of classic bits on Youtube to keep us entertained. One of the funniest and most entertaining athletes to ever transition into broadcasting. The guy is a national treasure and good luck on him to whatever he decides to do next.

I don't think we'll get another athlete analyst that is as selfless, and is willing to be the butt of the joke as much as Barkley.

That said, every episode of Inside The NBA next season is going to be appointment viewing. I bet Chuck goes all out.

Last edited:

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is 50-50 at best. I feel like if Charles gets the wheelbarrow full of money brought to the golf course he would have a hard time saying no.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
it’s not like he’s gonna go Carson and never be in public again.

He’s probably right to end the show in the same place, it would never feel or be the same if it was on Peacock or anywhere else.

I’ll be happier if they leave us wanting more than wishing they hadn’t overstayed their welcome.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
You kinda knew this was coming with Turner losing the NBA rights. The show wasn’t gonna be the same on another network, especially without Ernie.

Staff member
Reaction score
There’s really only two ways this can go for Doncic.

He can get in shape, drop 30 pounds, and absolutely dominate.

or

he can just keep doing the same shit and dominate until things get tough

The thing is, he has about equally as good a chance of winning a title by doing either of those things. Dominating or producing while being overweight isn’t going to be what wins them a title. Dallas needs third fourth fifth scorers, that’s out of his control. They don’t need Doncic to give them more. And it’s goddamn hard to win a title anyway. He might not win one!

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
The thing is, he has about equally as good a chance of winning a title by doing either of those things. Dominating or producing while being overweight isn’t going to be what wins them a title. Dallas needs third fourth fifth scorers, that’s out of his control. They don’t need Doncic to give them more. And it’s goddamn hard to win a title anyway. He might not win one!
I think having depth tends to get lost in the annals of most great NBA Championship teams. For all the winning teams that had superstars like MJ & Pippen, Bird, Magic & Kareem, Steph Curry & Klay, Lebron & D-Wade they all had at least a 3rd scorer that could give you around 15 and usually had a 4th or 5th player that could chip in with 10+ if they got hot in the right games.

The 96 Bulls series had Kukoc & Longley combining for 25 points a game. The 97 Bulls series had 3 players combining for 22 PPG. The 98 Bulls series had Kukoc averaging 15.2 PPG right behind Pippen's 15.7.

Even this series, Jrue & Derrick White both averaged 14 PPG and were a key reason why the Celtics were able to just run away on the Mavs in all of their victories.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Congrats to Celtics fans on here, damn good team!

I tend to agree with 909 about Luka, and I think the last part is the real truth, winning a title is hard and their path to get back is going to be very hard. I give them a lot of credit on bailing on Grant Williams as soon as they realized it wasn’t a good fit, but they also gave up a lot of assets to get Washington and Gafford so I think a lot of their moves will be on the margins.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Despite having a strong feeling that they would win it all since they got Jrue Holiday in October and a ludicrously easy playoff path (I actually thought the toughest and scariest series was the sweep against Indiana), I am in stunned disbelief.

There have been so many almost, could’ve, should’ve, would’ve moments in the past six years (and honestly, we can include the post ‘08 KG/Paul Pierce/Ray Allen/Rondo teams as well) that the biggest surprise is how little drama there was.

Derrick White getting his face smashed into the floor seemed like a classic New England sports “we’re doomed!” moment but he just popped up, nailed a three and smashed a hockey player smile.

Really really happy with this team. It is too early to call but I wouldn’t be surprised if they go down as the 2nd GOAT Celtics team behind ‘85-‘86. And the most exciting thing is we have a chance to run it back next year with everyone back and become the first Celtics team to repeat as champs since Bill Russell’s last two seasons.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Horford had played 185 playoff games before finally winning a championship, which was just 8 games shy of the record held by Karl Malone. James Harden is now atop this list among active players with 166 games played.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Celtics are really good and deserve this title. Their players aren’t assholes, they seem to be good guys. Especially happy for Horford, he deserves a title.

That being said, it’s still Boston. Fuck them.
Tatum is corny but I like Brown/Jrue/Horford. It's still fuck the Celtics though. I do think they were the best team but it can also be true that the playoff field was a bit compromised. Teams were injured (Clippers, much of the East), inexperienced (Thunder, T'Wolves, Mavs to an extent) or inexplicably folding (Nuggets). The playoffs also had a rock-paper-scissors thing where match-ups seemed to matter even more than they already did.

I should also mention that Brad Stevens killed the game in acquiring the final pieces. Boston has an idealized modern NBA team chock full of two-way players who can shoot.

Last edited:

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Minnesota or Denver were way scarier. OKC too. This was just a case of the right (or I guess wrong in terms of casual NBA fans) matchups at the right time.

If Denver beats Minnie though, I bet they’d beat Dallas in the Conference Finals.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I was never really that scared of OKC. I was mildly surprised that they lost to Dallas, but they were definitely one of the lamer 1 seeds to me. But I wouldn't put them with the 2015 Hawks or 2021 Jazz, because I definitely don't think they're a one-year wonder, either.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
All due respect to Minny and OKC, but Denver was the only team of ALL the playoffs teams that I was worried about Boston losing to. Without Porzingis that series would have been rough.

I'm incredibly happy they finally got one. Brad Stevens deserves a ton of credit too. Moving Smart was not a very popular move among the fans base but it was the best thing they could have done to open up Derrick White. Getting Porzingis was a massive gamble no matter how talented he is because that injury history is a very major concern. Lastly, thank you SO much to the Bucks for downgrading their team to bring in Lillard over Jrue. Jrue is such a massive part of this team's success, love that dude.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder how much In Season Tournament effected the number of injuries and amount of fatigue we saw in the playoffs.

And if you thought this year was bad, imagine next season after the IST and an Olympics year