Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

News That Doesn't Warrant a Thread 2024

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Every Friday I look for some interesting/weird stories and I thought I'd start sharing some of them ITT:

The Teacher’s Protection Act, filed by Rep. Dan Flynn (R-Van), would protect teachers from prosecution for killing students they believe are a threat to other students or anyone else on school grounds.

On Monday, officials at Gustine Elementary rounded up 24 students, and divided them up by gender. Then the kids were ordered to pull down their pants far enough so educators could see if there were any tell-tale fecal stains.

UK Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron says that ISPs and phone companies should be required to store records of every click you make, every conversation you have, and every place you physically move through. He says that communications companies should be required to make it impossible to keep your communications from being eavesdropped in, with mandatory back-doors.

He says we need this law because "TV crime dramas illustrated the value of monitoring mobile data."

Freshman state Rep. Molly White, R-Belton, is not in Austin today to celebrate Texas Muslim Capitol Day. But she left instructions for the staff in her Capitol office on how to handle visitors who are, including asking them to declare allegiance to the United States.

“What I tell people is, if you look like me and you hop out of your truck, you shouldn’t be getting a disability check. Over half of the people on disability are either anxious or their back hurts — join the club. Who doesn’t get a little anxious for work and their back hurts?

From letting teachers shoot children to Rand Paul being Rand Paul.

Last edited:

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Re: News That Doesn't Warrant a Thread 2015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9xven0CcC4

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Yeah I joke with my wife all the time (we have this sense of humor) that she can say no all she wants, spousal rape isn't a legal term in this state. "You can't rape your spouse."

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score

Saints_Fan_H monster status confirmed.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score

Saints_Fan_H said:
Yeah I joke with my wife all the time...that she can say no all she wants, spousal rape isn't a legal term in this state. "You can't rape your spouse."
Photoon5-27-14at403PM_zps2d909782.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The joke works if the intended audience laughs.

Clearly the shit in Utah is insanity.

I guess I should say in context, with the shit I have to deal with on a daily basis at work, if I DON'T make inappropriate jokes like this I'd go fucking insane.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

http://ktla.com/2015/02/05/family-stages-violent-kidnapping-of-6-year-old-to-teach-him-about-stranger-danger/
A 6-year-old boy in Missouri endured an emotional four-hour staged kidnapping because his family thought he was being too nice to people he didn’t know, police said Thursday. During his reported ordeal the boy was lured into a pickup after getting off his school bus, tied up, threatened with a gun, taken to a basement where his pants were removed, and told he could be sold into sex slavery, police said.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/05/thai-crown-prince-pet-poodle-air-chief-marshal-foo-foo-cremated
Air Chief Marshal Foo Foo, the pet poodle of Thailand’s crown prince, has been cremated after four days of Buddhist funeral rites, prompting a surge of coded social media comments in the troubled kingdom, where it is illegal to openly discuss the looming royal succession.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/west-virginia-republican-says-rape-can-be-beautiful-if-it-produces-a-child/
According to Huffington Post, Charleston Gazette reporter David Gutman was on the scene when Delegate Brian Kurcaba (R) said, “Obviously rape is awful,” but “What is beautiful is the child that could come from this.”

Air Marshal Foo Foo is my favourite.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score

This guy always looked like a smug cocksucker to me.

Brian Williams, the embattled NBC news anchor whose credibility plummeted after he acknowledged exaggerating his role in a helicopter episode in Iraq, has been suspended for six months without pay, the network said on Tuesday night.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/11/business/media/brian-williams-suspended-by-nbc-news-for-six-months.html?_r=0

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score

American journalist lies about something. Shocking news.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

So apparently there was a video posted of some University of Oklahoma SAE members performing a racist chant on a charter bus. The national chapter has already disbanded the OU chapter and they're being forcibly removed from the house.
There's already a protest going on at the school against them and the president is moving switfly to kick some asses out.

http://newsok.com/update-ou-president-boren-students-rally-on-campus-in-protest-of-school-fraternitys-racist-video/article/5399781

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I saw on Twitter that Bob Stoops joined the protest. Good on him.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Saints_Fan_H said:
I saw on Twitter that Bob Stoops joined the protest. Good on him.

So did Lon Kruger and Mike Stoops.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Damaramu said:
So apparently there was a video posted of some University of Oklahoma SAE members performing a racist chant on a charter bus. The national chapter has already disbanded the OU chapter and they're being forcibly removed from the house.
There's already a protest going on at the school against them and the president is moving switfly to kick some asses out.

http://newsok.com/update-ou-president-boren-students-rally-on-campus-in-protest-of-school-fraternitys-racist-video/article/5399781

Pretty sure that is the state song of Vermont.

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Well, two students were just expelled over the chants. More disciplining to follow.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/university-oklahoma-expels-two-students-tied-racist-chant-video-n320831

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score

From all accounts of Dama and friends that have toured OK for their band, it's a pretty racist state, like mine, so I'm not surprised this happened. I'd be more surprised if it was coming out of UC Berkley, for instance. So I have to ask, did JC Watts only get elected (and reelected) because he played football for the Sooners? A case of, "OH he's black but he's one of the good ones..."??

(YES I have heard racists around here use the "good ones" line before)

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Yes. My grandpa once said to me (with a straight face): "there's black people and then there's niggers." I had no words. I was pretty upset by it and my mom tried the "Well he's from a different generation" excuse on me but that shit just doesn't fly. You're old enough to know better now.

It's a racist, homophobic, islamophobic, christian state so in other words: it's a normal flyover/southern state. I'm sure we do things worse than other states and I'm sure there's other states that do things worse than us.

What I've learned is that SAE fraternity has a history of problems and racism. There's a few stories coming out about other incidents around the country with this fraternity. So I think this is something taught at that fraternity.

Also funny story here in relation to the whole thing:

http://www.thelostogle.com/2015/03/09/the-sae-house-mom-likes-to-rap-the-n-word/

It just cracks me up because after an incident like this a lot of people come out and say stuff like "Well it was an isolated incident" or "It was just a few bad eggs" when in reality it's a culture with the whole fraternity as we're seeing from the above-referenced link.

And all the stories about the SAE fraternity being racist around the country makes it funnier and sadder that their national organization is acting like this is an isolated incident.

And of course I read the Facebook comments on local news stories and got to see gems like:

"So what? Freedom of speech! They can be racist if they want!"

"Nobody says anything when black people are racist. If this was a black kid chanting "kill whitey" nobody would bat an eye!"

"When's Jesse Jackson coming?"

"Black people just need to rise above that word. If you don't get offended by it then it has no power. It's their fault for giving it power."

"I wonder if they'll start rioting and looting like Ferguson."

"They use that word all the time in rap songs. Why can they say it?"

"Black people are more racist than white people. I know plenty of black racists."

I don't know why I do this to myself reading those racist trolls.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Gary said:
Then don't. Unfriend them or something.

They're not my friends. I'm reading random commenters on a news story.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score

So either move or start doing something about it. I don't think I've ever seen somebody unleash such a consistent string of vitriol against their current locale without doing something to resolve the issue.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score

It's not easy to just leave a state with so many great things such as Oklahoma.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score

He'd probably have to execute 90% of white people over the age of 40 to change things.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score

Dama likes his home state. He just gets annoyed by the excess of racist douchebags. TSM's a venting ground for him. We've already discussed this, guys.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

On top of that I have a child and a custody arrangement.
What do you want me to do Laz? Just leave him? That sounds like a wonderful idea. Leave my child without his father because I'm annoyed by some rednecks.
And do something about it? Like what? Start shooting rednecks for fun? Burn the entire state down?

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score

Quit Facebook or something. Whatever gets you to stop telling us about every racist comment you read and hear.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

It fit with the context of what I was discussing with SFH and the SAE situation. Get off my case. Jesus.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score

My alma mater had a chapter of SAE towards the end of my degree program. One of my long time friends joined it (which was weird b/c he was a music major and the music fraternity was harassing us to join every semester). Wife and I are racking our brains on if we knew of any black people in the SAE chapter here and can't think of any. I'm the only one with yearbooks from my college career (we're 6 years apart) and there's none from the two years they were on campus when I was there.

Been monitoring his FB to see if he comments, but so far, no comments.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Honestly I can't remember any black frat guye in college except my friend Kelton but he was in a historically black fraternity at a different college. At OU though? None I met. I'm sure they existed, but were rare.

bigolsmitty

stares Trick Daddily
Reaction score

Yes. My grandpa once said to me (with a straight face): "there's black people and then there's niggers."

I remember my mom's (then) husband telling me something like this when I was a kid. I knew it wasn't right, but probably wasn't sophisticated enough to articulate why yet at that point in my life.

"So what? Freedom of speech! They can be racist if they want!"

I'm sure the person who posted this is an asshole, but I don't think they're wrong. I think being expelled from a public university for singing a racist song probably is a 1st Amendment violation. I know asshats now claim their freedom of speech is being violated anytime anyone criticizes them nowadays (i.e. Sarah Palin), but I think these asshats' freedom of speech actually is being violated.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score

Not if there's a clause in the student handbook, or whatever they may have, on what is and is not appropriate behavior.