Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

OAO Black Sabbath/Ozzy Thread

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
That riff on "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" is what stock footage of volcaonos sound like. I love it.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I posted about this at the time, but when I saw him in 2018, he was performing "Mama I'm Coming Home" (second to last song of the night) and he spaced on the lyrics during the second verse. Just sang "lost and found and turned around by the fire in your eyes" but with the same melody and inflection that he does later in the song after the solo, and then stopped. Zakk went over to him and whispered something to him and he picked up singng again "I could be right, I could be wrong" but totally off key like he didn't know his place in the song. So clearly he thought they were on the last chorus when they were barely a minute into the song. Not a great sign! From there he finished the song without incident but after that he announced he wanted to do the song over again, and did, this time without mistakes.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Glad they were able to patch things up. I think one last show with Bill Ward would be the perfect sendoff.

Gary

I'll do a drive by to Andre 3000s flute album
Reaction score
All the Tony Martin albums are on streaming, and I listened to them all. Thoughts, with pros and cons

The Eternal Idol

Pros: RIFFS! Iommi sounds pretty inspired, and the songs (The title track-which is like a darker version of "Born Again"-"Ancient Warrior" and "Hard Life to Live" are highlights) can be pretty catchy

Cons: Martin's voice-which isn't bad-hasn't found it's place. Also, as an album it's fine, but it feels like somethings missing-Iommi's great, but everyone else sometimes feels like a work for hire (which they are TBH)

Headless Cross

Pros: Uh, this is actually really good-hell, at times great. Everyone's finally found their groove, Martin is clearly more comfortable (he sounds like the singer for an Epic Doom or early Power Metal band) and truth be told, there isn't a weak song here. Also, the title song is great, and the record at times sounds as influenced by a few bands they inspired (stuff like Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus and St Vitus for example)

Cons: Synths occasionally don't feel necessary. Otherwise not many.

Tyr

Pros: Most of the songs here are good to great-"Anno Mundi" in particular deserves to be considered a Doom classic, and vocals wise this might be Martin's best moment with the band. The man really sings his heart out.

Cons: the Power Ballad "Feels Good to Me" is a bit too schmaltzy for me, and feels like it belongs on a different album.

Cross Purposes

Pros: This has a negative reputation among some fans? Because it largely feels inspired. Butler returning clearly has Iommi giving a hell of an effort, and there's some great riffs here-especially on "Virtual Death" and "Evil Eye"

Cons: Martin's performance isn't bad, but he feels-less inspired I guess (considering he was let go for "Dehumanizer" and then was asked back probably doesn't help). Here he just sounds like a metal frontman.

Forbidden

Pros: One of the biggest complaints about this album has always been the mix, which was muddy and unappealing. Iommi's remix of this (and the prior records) is a minor miracle in that you can actually hear the band better and it's much clearer. "Get a Grip" and "Kiss of Death" are actually good.

Cons: It's still "Forbidden". This means that it's the "Never Say Die" of this era, where the band sounds at odds with one another and don't seem to want to be making the album. I still don't know why Ice T is there other than Body Count.