Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA: A place to discuss and debate pizza.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think I saw some standalone Sbarro's when I was last in NYC but that's the only place I've seen them. Who the hell would go there with all of those options besides Michael Scott?

It's perfectly fine chain pizza but not at $4 a slice. I'd be much more agreeable if it cost half of that much.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No idea how widespread they are but the only pizza place I'll order from around here is Snappy Tomato's. Now, if we're talking homemade, I've recently found using sliced mozzarella from a deli to be a better alternative to shredded cheese.

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Best chain-type place around here is Donatos, which isn't national but has locations all over Ohio and a few in Indiana. Thin crust (which isn't what I prefer, but it works okay here), good sauce, great cheese, and fantastic sausage. There really isn't even a point in ordering any other topping, it's that good.

Best independent shop is the Flying Pizza, which serves a decent imitation of New York style. Only problem is that the better of the two locations is smack dab in the middle of campus, so even if I wanted to brave the bro hordes to try and get a slice I'd have to search for a parking spot for twenty minutes to do so.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Devo you live in Dayton? Just wondering because my class is eating at Flying Pizza downtown next week?

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Jebus said:
I live in Los Angeles.
That's all you need to know about the "quality" of our pizzas.
In fact, if it ain't Mexican or Seafood, it sucks balls here.

LA has plenty of good pizza. There's Joe Peeps and Fire Pit in the Valley, and Strawberry Cone for weird Japanese-style pizza with seaweed n stuff. There's really no excuse not to find a decent place.

Jebus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I disagree about PLENTY of good pizza. I hear enough complaining about it and I'm inclined to agree.
But, of course, there's gotta be someplace in this vast land that knows what they're doing.
I appreciate the suggestions and Joe Peeps seems to be well-liked enough. I'll definitely try it next time I'm nearby.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
To call Los Angeles, one of the most highly regarded towns for food in the country, devoid of anything outside of Mexican or seafood is nothing short of mind-numbingly ignorant and reeks of someone who hasn't gone enough out of their comfort zone to actually see what's around. FFS, I don't know how many celebrity chefs have restaurants in L.A. (including Gordon Ramsay's London in West Hollywood) to say nothing of the rest of the restaurants in Beverly Hills, Santa Monia, WeHo, etc... Just seriously, wow.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm surprised he mentioned seafood as L.A's second prominent cuisine. They've got some of the best Asian food in the country by most accounts.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think he may be referring to sushi in particular, but all sorts of American cuisine is awesome there as well. Not to mention L.A. pretty much invented the chili burger (Tommies ftw) and IN N FUCKIN OUT. And chicken and waffles.

Staff member
Reaction score
I had chicken & waffles at a little hole in the wall last week. Given that this country is so enamoured with fried food, I'm surprised as hell that a dish like this isn't universally beloved. We have great food here, but the bad thing is that I live in the IE and so I am not all that blessed with culinary choices that aren't chain dominated.

Jebus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vitamin X said:
To call Los Angeles, one of the most highly regarded towns for food in the country, devoid of anything outside of Mexican or seafood is nothing short of mind-numbingly ignorant and reeks of someone who hasn't gone enough out of their comfort zone to actually see what's around. FFS, I don't know how many celebrity chefs have restaurants in L.A. (including Gordon Ramsay's London in West Hollywood) to say nothing of the rest of the restaurants in Beverly Hills, Santa Monia, WeHo, etc... Just seriously, wow.

Okay, I'm not counting things ANY city can do. I enjoy my steakhouses, pasta, burgers, fast food and desserts here (I know...what else is there, right?).
What does L.A. EXCEL at? To me, like I had mentioned, if I had friends visiting I'd say "You gotta try the Mexican or the Seafood here".

Also, I eat in Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and WeHo all the time. That's my neighborhood.
Sorry but I haven't been overly impressed. Not for "one of the most highly regarded towns for food in the country". Admittedly, I'm not dining at Gordon Ramsey's place but still...

Kung Kamala said:
I'm surprised he mentioned seafood as L.A's second prominent cuisine. They've got some of the best Asian food in the country by most accounts.

I really like the fish here so I thought I'd give that a shoutout.
I liked some Asian places I've went to but I guess I'm still looking for a place as good as my favorite Chinese places from where I used to live before moving to L.A.

Vitamin X said:
I think he may be referring to sushi in particular, but all sorts of American cuisine is awesome there as well. Not to mention L.A. pretty much invented the chili burger (Tommies ftw) and IN N FUCKIN OUT. And chicken and waffles.

I won't complain about the fast food in L.A., it's reigns supreme over here. However, outside a few chains, I hate most fast food restaurants and I don't want In N Out every day...as good as it may be.

-----

Perhaps, I'm just an East Coast guy who misses his pizza, bagels & cheesesteaks...oh, and Cracker Barrel!
Also, if someone knows a good Greek place that serves pork (that's rare here for some reason), I'd appreciate it.

hyperchord24

Integral Poster
Reaction score
bps21 said:
I don't like pizza from anywhere but here. I've had Chicago and NYC pizza and it's just not my taste. Even going up to my mother's in Syracuse (which is only 2 hours away) they don't have anything decent going on. It's like the French Onion Dip conundrum.
A lot of people from Buffalo say that. I don't understand it. I lived there for 3 years and the pizza you get there is absolute crap. Most of the people who have had pizza from Buffalo and are not from the area agree with me.

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
The only cuisine that is good to come out of Buffalo are Chicken Wings, Ted's Hot Dogs and Mighty Taco.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The only good pizza in buffalo is the stuff you get from the little italian bakeries. Cristiano's seriously had the best pizza ever.

Edit: Oh, and uhm....from the pizza place my uncle owns. Of course. Obviously I meant that too.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Youth N Asia said:
For cheap Pizza I kinda like the Cici's buffet.

Yeah, I don't really see how you can beat a six dollar all you can eat pizza buffet. The Buffalo Chicken pizza is one of my all-time faves as I usually dish half the pan onto my plate when I go.

Reaction score
So, this is probably a stupid question (but it is pizza related) but is it true that they don't have garlic fingers in the states?

I read the other day (on Wiki or something maybe?) that garlic fingers are from the Maritime provinces, and rare outside of them. Is this true? Do you people just not have garlic fingers out wherever you might be?

As far as pizza I like goes, I honestly think I like pizza I make myself the best, because I'm picky about what I eat and can have it exactly the way I want. Outside of that, the corner store up from my childhood home makes, in my opinion, the best pizza.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hmm, garlic fingers sounds remarkably similar to something that New England fast food Italian chain Amato's and various other small pizza places in Maine serves called pazzo bread. Basically pizza dough with garlic, cheese, and melted butter on top cut into finger slices with marinara dipping sauce.

Pizza place that my big brother was a deliveryman for back when we were in high school did a delicious variation on it that was thin strips of pizza dough with garlic, cheese, melted butter, and pesto.

Makes me wish I could have some. But I think you're right. Probably isn't served outside of Northern New England/Canadian Maritimes.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
AboveAverage484 said:
Youth N Asia said:
For cheap Pizza I kinda like the Cici's buffet.

Yeah, I don't really see how you can beat a six dollar all you can eat pizza buffet. The Buffalo Chicken pizza is one of my all-time faves as I usually dish half the pan onto my plate when I go.

I can never make my mind up if I like the buffalo chicken or not...but every time I go I have a couple slices.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maniac, I used to work at a Little Caesars and we had Italian Cheese Bread which was almost exactly what Kamala described. Basically pizza dough made in a square with cheese and then butter and this parmesan and oregano shit sprinkled on top. Dip it in some marinara sauce and it was probably the best thing on the menu.

Also, Little Caesars didn't use real pepperonis - they used salami, which is a lot cheaper.

Reaction score
Yeah, those are what we'd call garlic fingers - except they come with donair sauce around here. Had to ask; I found it hard to believe that other places hadn't thought of it.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Here's a nice LA Times article about the multiple cultures offering their takes on pizza: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/15/food/la-fo-pizza-20100415
It's definitely not what you're looking for if you want a traditional pizza, but it shouldn't offend you unless you're really serious about the usual deep dish slop or New York style whatever pizza that people seem to want.

I'm tired of people complaining about LA. If you're an east coast transplant who comes here just to whine about how everything is different from back home, and you feel the need to remind everybody that you're from New Jersey or whatever whenever you talk to people, you should be flogged.

Staff member
Reaction score
Star Ocean 2 said:
Here's a nice LA Times article about the multiple cultures offering their takes on pizza: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/15/food/la-fo-pizza-20100415
It's definitely not what you're looking for if you want a traditional pizza, but it shouldn't offend you unless you're really serious about the usual deep dish slop or New York style whatever pizza that people seem to want.

I'm tired of people complaining about LA. If you're an east coast transplant who comes here just to whine about how everything is different from back home, and you feel the need to remind everybody that you're from New Jersey or whatever whenever you talk to people, you should be flogged.

The people that complain about the lack of Dunkin' Donuts are the fuckin' worst.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
As an East Coaster I complain about the ubiquitousness of Dunkin' Donuts. They're ok, but I certainly wouldn't miss them

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
The local Metro (formerly A&P) grocery mart now makes wood oven pizzas on order. It's not a blow away pizza by any means but it's $9, comes with a 2L of Coke, and tastes good (the crust is very good).

The idea is you place the order when you start shopping then pick it up on your way out.

RavishingRickRudo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Casa Di Mama's Hawaiian pizza is by far the best frozen pizza I have ever had. I would legit choose it over all but 3 pizza places. The crust is like a fucking croissant. The only problem is it can easily be downed in one sitting.

Loaded Glove

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Been to New York a few times, but live in California. So while I'm not an "East Coaster", I can say that I've spent my fair share of time on the East Coast.

With that said, Valentino's Pizza in Manhattan Beach, CA is as good as any pizza I've had in New York