Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Punk Rock Thread: Second Generation

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome stuff as you're finally hitting the early 1990s. My "Punk" knowledge basically went up to around 1987-1988 so I don't know a whole lot about the early to mid 1990s (1990-1996 range) above and beyond the mainstream groups which got signed and had varied success.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Stoked that you like them. You might be interested to know that there are five more playlists on the way that will cover everything up to 2004.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bay Area punk playlist #7 mostly covers bands who made their Gilman Street debut between 1993-1995, as well as some bands who never played there at all. 32 bands. These are the Years that East Bay Punk Broke. Green Day signed to a major label and blew up big with videos on MTV and their appearance at Woodstock '94. Rancid also broke into the mainstream when they released ...And Out Come the Wolves in 1995. I was just starting to go to local shows during these years and it was an odd time in the underground scene. New punks were eyed suspiciously and questioned for things like possible mainstream affiliation. Nazi skinheads were a thing of the past at punk shows, so lots of in-fighting went on between groups of friends instead. Dividing lines were drawn over East Bay vs. West Bay, PC vs. anti-PC, spiky-haired drunk punks vs. dreadlocked crustys, etc. I was in a minority that didn't care about any of this stuff and just wanted to have fun. Fights and general hostility were expected, with a few shows I attended ending in near-riots. Venues ended almost as soon as they started due to the chaos. That said, there were still a lot of good bands popping up at the time of varying styles. Garage punk was well represented by the Rip Off Records sect who expertly mined the field. Slap a Ham Records started to document the rise of hardcore's harsher side that was dubbed 'power violence' by one of its main practitioners. They also hosted an annual two-day event called the Fiesta Grande, which brought all the best grindcore, sludge, and power violence bands together on the Gilman stage. Hardcore, both of the punk and 'tough-guy' variety, was starting to make a little bit of noise as well. Pop punk and emo bands who did not aspire for Green Day or Fugazi's fame were always around. Lookout Records was still around, making more money than they ever thought possible from Green Day's pre-major label catalog. What was their next step to continue being the East Bay's best punk rock record label?

Bands: Tilt, Naked Aggression, Raooul, the Ne'er Do Wells, Spazz, Bumblescrump, Dead and Gone, the Rip Offs, Hickey, Screw 32, Oppressed Logic, AFI, Multi-Facet, Blackfork, A Minor Forest, Subincision, Shotwell Coho, No Less, ETO, the Criminals, Pansy Division, Strychnine, Link 80, Eldopa, Ragady Anne, Redemption 87, Utter Bastard, Apeface, Hot Rod Shopping Cart, Torches to Rome, the Loudmouths, Tina Age 13.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvVH7k5Rcq7KSZjN0XLOizYiwpK152MP2

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Re: NOFX
Nothing says punk rock like crying over insensitive comments.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're saying that people shouldn't be offended by their comments or not, but fuck NOFX. Being "punk rock" isn't being a complete piece of shit and waste of space and making comments that make light of innocent people losing their lives, regardless of what kind of concert they were attending.

Laz

Reaction score
One could argue there is nothing more punk than being an insensitive prick, actually. I'm not saying people shouldn't be offended just that it's hilarious to me how low the offensive bar has fallen.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You could, in certain circles for sure. Punk scenes are definitely more inclusive these days though, in my experience at least. I just feel it was a really low blow and a dumb thing for them to say. Like if that shit comes out of your mouth that easily, you should probably take a few moments to think before you speak.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't find the comment particularly offensive; it is exactly what someone involved with the early '80s LA/Orange County hardcore scene would say. He's coming from the standpoint of someone at a club like the Cuckoo's Nest where punks frequently had crazy street fights with rednecks from the country bar across the street. ("Urban Struggle" and "The Legend of Pat Brown" by the Vandals are about Cuckoo's Nest incidents.) That said, I expect comments like that from teenagers and immature young adults with barely any life experience. Someone who is Mike's age knows better, but is too drunk and too full of their own shit to truly care.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
35162158_10156261571229627_1249802300218671104_n.jpg

I've spent about three years (no shit) searching for my box of cassettes in my storage spot. Finally found them by chance yesterday and shelved them today. Lots of good '80s crossover, thrash, and rap plus a number of local punk demos and some family items. Agnostic Front, Asbestos Death, Cryptic Slaughter, DRI, His Hero is Gone, Ludichrist, Mission of Burma, Municipal Waste, Neurosis, Plutocracy, Raw Power, RKL, Samhain, and Sick of it All but a few in these stacks. Stoked to finally have 'em unpacked and in order!

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
We really do need a Like button.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
http://www.getalternative.com/album-premiere-interview-dollar-signs-breakdown/

This is a preview of Dollar Signs new record. I think Dollar Signs is the most under the radar excellent punk band around right now. Their earnestness and sense of humor make them so, so listenable. "I'm the Usain Bolt of running from my problems." This shit's great. Recommended.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/books/discos-out-murders-in/

Posted a review of the book Disco's Out...Murder's In the other day. Read about the rise and fall of an early '80s punk gang wreaking havoc in the LA scene.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am also totally open to suggestions for more review material of this nature. I have plenty of books on the shelves and records in the crates!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I knew Punks gang roots/ties were extensive but Bad Religion wasn't one I was expecting!

My favorite punk show of all time took place in 1996 when Japanese hardcore legends Gauze played several shows in the US. I was lucky to see them at Gilman and they were incredible.

How about an article about these shows/Gauze?

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
My favorite punk show of all time took place in 1996 when Japanese hardcore legends Gauze played several shows in the US. I was lucky to see them at Gilman and they were incredible.

How about an article about these shows/Gauze?

That's a really good idea. Gauze finally reissued their entire back catalog on vinyl this year, which was huge news to anyone who didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars buying the original pressings. I can put together a discography breakdown.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm gonna take some time and work on a Gauze article for the site. Here's really early footage of them playing in their practice space circa 1982.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0byzThUoog

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/etc/books/gimme-something-better/

Here's my review of Gimme Something Better, the oral history of Bay Area punk that starts with "White Punks on Dope" and ends with Green Day and Rancid's ascension to the mainstream.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/music/924-gilman-the-story-so-far/

Here's my review of 924 Gilman: The Story So Far, which chronicles the first 18 years of Berkeley's longtime all-ages volunteer-run punk club that spawned the likes of Green Day, Rancid, Operation Ivy, and many more.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I volunteered there for about 10 years. I haven't been to Gilman in a long time though; working there became too big a part of my life and identity to where I have weird anxiety issues whenever I go there.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Awesome stuff. Your stuff, both in playlist and article form, is by far some of my favorite on the site. I really wish I'd been old enough to have been part of the bay area scene.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Glad you like the stuff I'm posting; I plan on a few more book reviews before diving into specific records. I'm also slowly working on a Gauze article for the site, but am waiting to hear back from reliable sources about some factual info.

Book reviews are stalled because I'm currently reading The White Nationalist Skinhead Movement, which was released by Feral House a year or two ago. I've always been interested in reading more about that side of the skinhead subculture, but it sounds dull as dirty dishwater in the authors' hands. This isn't quite as dry as Tim Hornbaker's NWA book, but it's pretty damn close. I have about 450 pages to go and I'm probably going to give up before long. Who knew Nazi skinheads were so damn boring?

Laz

Reaction score
Most of us. It takes a lot of stupid to go into a scene built on anarchy and equality while being gung ho about fascism and racial purity.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm actually amused at how tedious of a read it is, especially after years of stories about Nazi skins essentially portrayed as the Boogie Man of the punk scene.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/music/crate-digger/

I tapped out on the boring Nazi book because life is too short. Here's my review of Bob Suren's book Crate Digger. Bob sang for the Florida hardcore bands Failure Face and Murder-Suicide Pact while also running the Sound Idea record store and mailorder distro. His hobby becomes an all-consuming obsession costing him what matters the most.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bob was a real nice guy when I met him at the reading. We have a few mutual friends who essentially grew up at his record store. I own every Failure Face record and always saw him as one of the people dedicated to keeping things going the way they should. Hearing him talk about feeling like that dedication had been a waste of time hit really close to home. I was not in a good place in life when I went to the reading either; it sucked having to tell Bob that I couldn't afford his book or dinner due to my circumstances.

I've been hitting the record stores and Discogs a little bit lately and added a nice stack of 7-inches to the collection. Noteworthy bands include Christ on Parade, Citizen's Arrest, Crimpshrine, Damad (pre-Kylesa), Dead Kennedys, Econochrist, His Hero is Gone, PHC, and Rupture. Completed my Capitalist Casualties 7-inches, at least of what I wanted to own. Also found DRI's Dealing With It (now owned on all three formats!), the first Buzzov-en album, and a reissue of the Bad Posture 12-inch.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/music/notes-from-the-nest/

Here's my review of DRI vocalist Kurt Brecht's book Notes from the Nest. Read about Kurt living in a tree in Golden Gate Park and opening for Slayer in LA. Then you can go spend $150 to buy your own copy, heh.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/music/violence-girl/

Here is my review of Alice Bag's autobiography Violence Girl. This isn't another story about a white guy from the suburbs discovering punk and acting like a bozo; it's about a Chicana growing up in East LA and finding herself while immersed in the early Hollywood scene. Although every self-respecting punk rocker should read Violence Girl, it is most relevant to women and POC in the scene.