Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Puroresu Love & Resources V3

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I find Ospreay incredibly boring and his style is everything I've hated about wrestling since like 2007. I don't love Jay as an in-ring worker, but he presents a much better overall package and I'd at least be into his promos and shenanigans during the run.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They've got great chemistry but there's other people they can feud with.

Me finding silver linings in mid card bullshit- I'm excited we're getting a NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team title defense to close one of the Korakuen Hall shows. Maybe YOSHI HASHI will get a big win over Bullet Club!

Or he'll get humiliated or KENTA will steal his big dumb stick forever. Win win either way IMO.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's why I'm more or less fine with it (even though I'll continuously point out he's a human piece of garbage). He'll hold the title for six weeks maximum* then probably/hopefully never get it again.

*at risk of CWM calling me a fool, I think Ospreay will almost definitely go over Shingo but I feel Shingo's chances of a upset are not zero. Honestly, even though it'd probably piss off some puro nerds, I feel like a '97 WWF-esque constant title swapping and Okada trying to avenge his New Japan Cup loss would be more exciting than "will Okada beat Ospreay again?". Almost definitely not going to happen but it's definitely not not going to happen!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean it's not zero and it would be more exciting but I would consider them even further devaluing the belt like that to be a poor tradeoff. I don't think becoming WWE is really something they should aim for. They've booked themselves into a terrible corner with all the title changes they have done and how stale the main event scene is. Unless they're willing to finally break up more of the units and alignments that isn't going to change.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't the average lifespan for a booker's prime like 2 or 3 years at absolute max? Gedo's been booking since like 2010-11. His prime lasted a lot longer than most but nothing lasts forever. Everyone just seems so burned out so I can't place ALL of NJPW's woes on him but he's the guy who decided EVIL should be a top guy so...

The bigger problem wasn't making EVIL a top guy it was the refusal to deviate from the 30+ main event formula. EVIL had the look and potentially the fan support to be a main eventer but he isn't the type of guy who should be going more than 15-20 minutes. That isn't a knock even it just isn't his style. He can be very entertaining in the right format but forcing him to work long epic Naito/Okada matches just exposed his flaws.

Gedo needed to book to his workers strengths not Gedo's strengths.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean it's not zero and it would be more exciting but I would consider them even further devaluing the belt like that to be a poor tradeoff.
Counter argument for this and again, it would probably annoy most longtime puro fans is that the IWGP World Heavyweight Title isn't the IWGP Heavyweight Title (or Intercontinental Title) with completely different dynamics and traditions.

But like you said, it could easily turn into NJPW turning into modern WWE which no one really wants.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I seriously might be out on NJPW because of that horrible belt. You change a belt, it defines an era, and this era is godawful. The last one was one of my favorite belts ever, so I'm biased.

When is the next big Dragon Gate show?

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Counter argument for this and again, it would probably annoy most longtime puro fans is that the IWGP World Heavyweight Title isn't the IWGP Heavyweight Title (or Intercontinental Title) with completely different dynamics and traditions.
I will believe this only if Ospreay successfully defends against Shingo, then against Okada at the dome and continues this reign thru the summertime

If the second reign of this new belt is another heel-two-month-with-one-defense reign before losing to THE ACE, then this title is just "old shit new sheen"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
I've been very on the fence with NOAH. I loved them so much, fell out when Misawa died or thereabouts, and now it's dark comedy. I am a Fujita mark, though.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well. I'll leave room on the bandwagon for you guys when beefy boy Masa Kitamiya wins the GHC title at the end of the month.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They might be my last best hope for a revenge match with Onita and Tenryu.

Slayer

Reaction score
I had been meaning to post more about DG and DDT, especially since both had some good matches in March, but personal life and admittedly being a slave to my writing style (possibly to be explained later to keep this post shorter) leads to lack of posting about those

When is the next big Dragon Gate show?
To answer that I'll give a quick and dirty rundown of the typical DG annual schedule.

First thing to note before that is aside from the major shows, DG also runs one show in Korakuen every month; after the Big Five, those Korakuen shows are where you see the main storyline progressions, then there's a few mid-level shows (think New Beginning/Dontaku/Destruction) scattered throughout

Jan thru Apr - "Downtime" to start the year, only Korakuens and mid-level shows
Early May (5/3 this year) - Dead or Alive, first of the Big Five shows
Late May/early June - King of Gate, singles round-robin a la G1, though they often do four smaller blocks with the winners then randomly paired into a four-man single-elim bracket
Late July (7/31 + 8/1 this year) - Kobe World. The main show, DG's equivalent of WK/WM. Like the latter, this year DG has expanded it to two nights which given how those others have turned out has me mildly concerned...
Late September - Dangerous Gate
Early November - Memorial Gate
Around Christmastime - Final Gate, plus a second Korakuen before New Years closes out the year and back to the "downtime"

Slayer

Reaction score
belated thoughts on SG (well really just the title match itself) since I finally watched it this morning. The actual match was good enough but the bar set by their prior matches was so high that comparatively it was a disappointment, even before factoring in the story aspect

Admittedly knowing the end ahead of time made this stick out more while I watched, but holy crap Kevin Kelly was laying it on thick (and not thicc like @King Kamala's boy Kitamiya, just regular thick) during the match about how big a failure Ibushi would be if he went thru all that unification business only to lose in his first defense. Felt like really blatant foreshadowing, and then Kelly continued to pile on that point after the match

Bumping around Reddit/Twitter and something I hadn't considered was comparing this to his time in DDT. Adding in the "previous" belt, Ibushi's overall reign from this year fits in line with his KOD title "runs" which were all in the ballpark of about three months with 1-2 defenses. He seems to be in that category of wrestlers who fans love when he's a title-chaser or off doing his own thing but once they win the big belt, fans turn tepid. Behind the scenes too I imagine his well-documented flaky space-cadet personality might not go over well with the corporate heads

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Will Ospreay challenged Drew McIntyre and CM Punk in his first press conference as IWGP Heavyweight Champion.

Punk's not going to come out of retirement for you, Ospreay, you dork.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
IRT to @Slayer 's comment. Kevin Kelly seems like he's REALLY been laying on the foreshadowing really thick lately. I still think he's one of the best North American PBP guys but it's worst tic. Whenever I watch a show and he mentions a match length record, you just know that it's going to be a super long fucking match. Which I mean it's a New Japan main event what do you expect but still. It's one of those little things that annoy me about the current product. I

I haven't watched SG yet (which is saying something RE: New Japan fatigue since I'm probably second biggest fan of current product behind @Big Beard Booty Daddy ) but plan on watching it tomorrow.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
IRT to @Slayer 's comment. Kevin Kelly seems like he's REALLY been laying on the foreshadowing really thick lately. I still think he's one of the best North American PBP guys but it's worst tic. Whenever I watch a show and he mentions a match length record, you just know that it's going to be a super long fucking match. Which I mean it's a New Japan main event what do you expect but still. It's one of those little things that annoy me about the current product. I

I haven't watched SG yet (which is saying something RE: New Japan fatigue since I'm probably second biggest fan of current product behind @Big Beard Booty Daddy ) but plan on watching it tomorrow.

The show is solid. The undercard tag matches are good, and they set up stories goin forward. The main matches, Junior Tag, and World Title, are very good with the World Title being great.

Hiromu opens the show to hype up the crowd, and he's fantastic. He was a riot. I can't wait for him to be back already.

Slayer

Reaction score
IRT to @Slayer 's comment. Kevin Kelly seems like he's REALLY been laying on the foreshadowing really thick lately.
Good to know. While I have warmed up to the NJ English crew I'm still fairly haphazard and capricious w/r/t when I feel like watching with Japanese or English commentary, and I don't watch Road To or other minor shows, so I wouldn't pick up that sort of pattern

You did remark earlier about similar signaling with the Henare heel turn, are there any other major examples of note lately?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Other one that sticks out to men is repeatedly talking about record for longest WK main event during Ibushi/Jay White. It's not enough to ruin the match but enough to slightly irritate.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
Kevin Kelly sucks outside of this BS. I know people like him; I hate him. His vocal tone annoys me and his old school style is outdated. I can't stand the English commentary on New Japan shows.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lost in all of the hubbub recently RE: the new IWGP World Heavyweight title is how bad Roppongi 3K's new theme music. It sounds like one of the alarm settings for my iPhone.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Lost in all of the hubbub recently RE: the new IWGP World Heavyweight title is how bad Roppongi 3K's new theme music. It sounds like one of the alarm settings for my iPhone.

It's going to take some getting used to. I thought they did a fancy prelude and then the real theme would start. It fit better after the match, but holy shit, did was it jarring.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looks like Kikutaro got deported back to Japan for visa issues. Maybe Speedball Mike Bailey can replace him on cards now that his visa issues are sorted out.