Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random EC F'N W Bullshit

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
He's also a genuinely nice guy, and is more influential to the modern era than most will give him credit for, on account of being the head trainer for a lot of the indy spotmonkeys in the 00s that led to the X-Division, which is how we got our GO-GO-GO sprint style of today.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
He's also a genuinely nice guy, and is more influential to the modern era than most will give him credit for, on account of being the head trainer for a lot of the indy spotmonkeys in the 00s that led to the X-Division, which is how we got our GO-GO-GO sprint style of today.
I don't wish to stop blaming Shawn Michaels for this. I need all the reasons I can muster to hate him.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
As per his radio show, Tommy Dreamer confirmed today that in light of recent events, he will no longer be known as the "Innovator of Violence".

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Crosspost with Cards That I Find on Cagematch/Old School Observations threads.

TIL that SMW ran a joint card with NWA in Philadelphia in Fall of '94, presumably to try and gain some measure of revenge on ECW? I had no idea that Scotty Flamingo had a short run in SMW right before he transformed into Raven. Bizarre.

(checks Raven's Wikipedia)

TIL Raven unsuccessfully pitched the gimmick to Jim Cornette before he pitched it to Paul Heyman.

Also the Jim Cornette Vs Kowabunga match probably will make @BruiserBrody chuckle.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Why has no company since figured out that ECW actually knew how to do the 3-way-dance the proper way? They should almost always be elimination style. Why? Because it eliminates that awkward period in most 3 way matches now where one person has to be taken out of the action on the floor. If it's elimination style the odd person out has every reason to just watch the other two go at it, or watch someone eat the pin.

Last edited:

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My guess is that [insert company here] sees triple threats as more exciting to watch than a three-way dance elimination match because they're unpredictable and the pins can be broken up and blah, blah, blah. Personally, I have always preferred the three-way dance approach as done in ECW as well.

Pretty sure Terry Funk said that he actually preferred triple threats over three-way dances in his autobiography for the aforementioned reasons.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
On paper, the Triple Threat/Triangle is more exciting. One fall to a finish always increases the risk of who could win, and it does away with long-term teamwork.

In action, though, the 3-Way Dance is the superior booking tool. Look no further than Anarchy Rulz '99.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Whipreck trained Trent, Hawkins and Ryder. Hawkins trained MJF, Kris Statlander and the Acclaimed.

Welcome to 2022.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

I was randomly thinking about this segment yesterday and thankfully, it's been preserved in the annals of the internet.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
This was the moment that introduced me to ECW thanks to random airings of Hardcore TV on either The Sunshine Network or New York's local station on the tail end of Verizon way back in 1998.

The Dudleys break Beulah's neck (and blow 12/13 year old HQ's mind!)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I forgot Sabu was an NWA World Champion during his post ECW/pre TNA wilderness years.

I wondered why Sabu didn't go to XPW after he finally permanently burned his bridge with Paul E and wasn't able to go back to WCW.

Except he did!

I wonder how XPW drew at the LA Sports Arena. Wrestling was probably popular enough in '00 that it might have been OK but even if it's 3,000-4,000, it'll still look awfully empty in a 16,000 seat arena.

It's also incredible that the LA Sports Arena's booking agent managed to find something worse to fill the void left by the LA Clippers.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
Sabu used a Danzig song as entrance music, because Josh Lazie (who was part of the XPW office) was also the bassist for Danzig around that time.

That's literally the highlight of his XPW run.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How big were 900 hotlines in 2002? I feel like even WCW didn't do it after '98 or so and shifted their focus to the stupid WCW.com radio show.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
How big were 900 hotlines in 2002? I feel like even WCW didn't do it after '98 or so and shifted their focus to the stupid WCW.com radio show.
One would think the internet ruined Mean Gene's scam. Gone were the days when THAT BALD HEADED LITTLE OAF could make $$ off Jerry Blackwell's death by implying Ric Flair croaked.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I still want to see that show. I was sure they'd make it. And again, Bagwell in the ECW Arena is just what it's all about.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Why would anyone think Johnny Polo as a grunge cult leader would get over?

Also Rotundos look better with beards by a wide margin.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why would anyone think Johnny Polo as a grunge cult leader would get over?
Smart fans had a lot strongly held feelings and preconceptions about Bagwell in '01 than they did about Polo in '94. Not to mention there were 100x more smart fans in '01 than '94.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Buff was also legit one of the biggest names available at the time.