Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random TNA Bullshit Vol. 2

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
When they became The National Network and just had the vague "we like pop culture" thing it was my favorite. Miami Vice or Star Trek TNG reruns as lead-ins for Raw was the best.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Listening to the My World on the 1-4-2010 episode of Impactand they replayed Hogan's debut segment in full and mannnnnn. I'm not sure what was the worse idea. Having Hulk Hogan debut as an altruistic, do gooder babyface authority figure or having a drunk ass Sean Waltman and Scott Hall interrupt the promo and ask where the party is at. I did get a good laugh out of Scott Hall seemingly just realizing NASH had been in TNA for a couple years (Hall was with him for at least two stints and had at least one stint without him at the inception of the company)! Poor Eric Bischoff had to get out there and try to make chicken salad out of chicken poop.

THIS is how you start combatting WWE!? It's funny that the Monday Night Wars: Crappy 2010 sequel edition started with retreads of what made the Monday Night Wars great only older and crappier (Bret Hart's stupid jean shorts, HBK in DX Babies gear with the stupid cowboy hat).

Valeyard

Reaction score
Hogan's response to "WE WANT SIX SIDES" is another low-key company-ruining moment.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that would've been better or worse if Sting was in position. Probably worse because Joe could've fractured his skull vs just being an idiot.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
13 years later, I'm still baffled as to why a worker as great as Joe would even entertain idea of doing a spot as dumb as that let alone actually doing it.

Not that he hasn't had a share of great moments in the decade and a third since but he really was never quite the same after that, yeah?

Valeyard

Reaction score
He worked smarter, from what I remember. I'd need to rewatch a lot but I think he toned things down back to just being a 1995 Vader.

I was looking up Joe and the ninjas and found this, though

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We all get why Angle went over Joe in this feud but in retrospect, knowing how much of a crazy ass team player Angle is (and fact that he is an insane person prevented him from being the mainstream star that'd get TNA to the next level), they could and maybe should've put Joe over.

It'd have made the Lockdown 2008 match different though so suppose it's all for the best.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It was just him beating Joe the first time out I had a problem with. Just classic TNA where you build this huge homegrown star and have a former WWE guy beat him in his debut, and at the time people were legit worried he could drop dead. I know it's Kurt Angle, THE biggest signing TNA ever made, but it all felt so off. That's a match you save.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think anyone would have cared if Joe lost the 2nd and 3rd match if he won the first.

Idk why so many bookers don't get that first match in a series is usually only one people really remember.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can't help but wonder what it'd have been like if Jericho chose to return to wrestling in TNA instead of WWE in late '07. I don't think he ever really wanted to go to TNA though, if his second (or maybe it was his third) book is any indication. Even if he did have a good initial run which is a big if considering how hit or miss late '00s TNA was, he would have been one of the guys lost in the shuffle when Hogan/Bischoff came in.

Valeyard

Reaction score
What I have always thought is that you keep them separate but just kinda simmering, like the Steiner/Joe feud. Give Angle some time to get acclimated with new styles and a new ring, let Joe keep steamrolling, all while giving each other shit. Give one of them the title to make it even bigger. Me? I'd get cute with time limit draws or something, then iron man/two out of three falls just because Joe taking a fall after being a monster for some long would be HUGE and it wouldn't even end the match.

TNA from probably the FSN Impact days until Dixie's final form had a deceptively deep roster, consistently, so it isn't like they ever had a shortage of guys to feed either of them for a few months.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I absolutely think TNA blew their wad by putting Joe with Angle right away but I also kind of get why they did that way./ Problem is if not Joe as Angle's first opponent then who? Everybody would be rightfully very annoyed if its Jarrett, Sting would be a mismatch for first match out too, and if you do AJ Styles or Christian, then you get the same "TOO SOON!" complains (plus Christian had that undefeated streak of his own although it's less important than Joe's).

Weirdly, I think Scott Steiner could have been good but he had just put over Joe so Idk if he'd be too amenable to two high profile jobs in a 5 month span even to two top guys.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Jarrett probably makes the most sense. Steiner would've been great because yeah Joe beat him, but Steiner was on such a roll that it would've worked. Tied him directly to Jarrett too if I'm remembering right. The only one that would've pissed people off is Christian, honestly. Keep him away from WWE signings as long as possible.

I'd have dug Styles and I think others would've too. It just would've made sense and a loss wouldn't hurt AJ at all while all Angle had to do was hang with the face of the company, and again instant cred to go for Jarrett right after. Sting you have to build up because it's Angle/Sting.

Valeyard

Reaction score
D-Lo got a great run, it's just too bad he left. Literally any time he and AJ were within four feet of each other something awesome happened.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Most of the veteran stuff from those days holds up. There were WAY too many but looking back a lot of their involvement lead to something, nonsensical as it could be.

Except Nikita. That was a waste of time. Moondog Spot did more when he showed up.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I mean it isn't like Hacksaw Jim Duggan could've cut any other promo at the time.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was watching Impact p. religiously (and even briefly reviewing it on CXF) during this era and even I can't remember the name of Drew McIntyre's righteous babyface stable with Tanga Loa and Eli Drake off the top of my head.

Fake edit- HAH! "I was like it was something dumb and generic like 'The Rising' but that can't be it. That was the name of Bruce Springsteen & The Street Band's post 9-11 comeback album." And the name of that stable WAS The Rising. I had many a "Lonsesome Day"s watching worst era of Impact in the mid 2010s.