Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Shameless and other Showtime Shows

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Right now, Showtime has one of the best lineups in recent memory with Shameless, Californication and Episodes. Quite frankly, as far as original programing goes, it's quite possibly the best cable network right now. Let's talk about the greatness that is Shameless and the network as a whole.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Love the show. Emmy Rossum is smoking and she's amazing in the show. Macy is great, and the supporting cast is great. I've never watched Californication since I didn't have Showtime until mid last year. Episodes is great and a huge surprise how much I love it.

foleyfanforever88

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't have Showtime, but I started downloading Shameless because of Emmy Rossum. It's already one of my favorite shows on TV. I might start going over my friend's house to watch it, so I'll probably watch Episodes too while I'm there.

atticus Chaos

(atticus Chaos) drag racing with Vince
Reaction score
I miss Masters of Horror. The network tv version was wretched.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bear Hugger213 said:
Love the show. Emmy Rossum is smoking and she's amazing in the show. Macy is great, and the supporting cast is great. I've never watched Californication since I didn't have Showtime until mid last year. Episodes is great and a huge surprise how much I love it.

If you love Shameless, then you'll really enjoy Californication. It'd be pretty quick to catch up with the show given how short the seasons are, it's well worth the effort.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Hawk 34 said:
Bear Hugger213 said:

If you love Shameless, then you'll really enjoy Californication. It'd be pretty quick to catch up with the show given how short the seasons are, it's well worth the effort.

I'll have to find time since I have Six Feet Under from season 2, The Wire the whole series and a few others to catch up on. But I will catch up on this one as well.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Six posts in, and nobody's yet mentioned Dexter? Admittedly this last season was a bit of a step down from the greatness that was season 4, but still, the show fuckin' rules.

Fans of Shameless, Californication, and Episodes: sell me on those shows. Tell me what they're about, and why people should watch them. Aside from "naked Emmy Rossum", which has already been mentioned and totally sells itself.

foleyfanforever88

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Naked other girls.

I don't know, Shameless is just so easy to watch. The characters are great (Emmy Rossum can actually act, her nude scenes are just a bonus) and the situations they get into are crazy and hilarious. It's not all comedy though -- this family has real problems and there's a good amount of drama that comes out of them. Try watching the first episode; I knew after 20 minutes that I was going to love this show.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Episodes: A British couple with a popular show over in Brittan is approached by an American studio to remake their popular show for American audiences. The studio wants to use the show to bring Matt LeBlanc back after having miss after miss after Friends went off the air. It's basically making fun of the American studios that continue to rush overseas to find remakes instead of coming up with fresh ideas. I know the idea of Matt LeBlanc scares most people away, but he's totally hamming up the part. I don't know what he's like in real life, but it seems to be making fun of himself. He's an asshole on the show and it's very funny. He has great chemistry with the British couple, who are great.

Shameless: A poor family of 6 kids and their drunkard father (played wonderfully by William H. Macy). It's basically about their life, but the writing is fantastic. The acting is just as good. Also, look out for Joan Cusack who plays the mother of on of the son's girlfriend's mother. She's a germaphobe who is afraid to go outside.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
What I really like about Shameless is that it's a definite ensemble drama/comedy. Almost every single character introduced is involved in some sort of familial plot line, nevermind whatever individual plot lines they may be going through.

As was mentioned earlier, the kid actors easily stand up to their adult counterparts and the poverty/broke mentality hanging over the series makes the events even more hilarious.

Also William H. Macy fucking rules it hard as an alcoholic deadbeat father who uses his disability checks for alcohol. If he can't get you into the show, you probably just won't get into it, period.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Harley, I didn't catch it at the beginning of the first episode as I was busy on my computer at the same time, why does Frank (Macy) have a black kid?

Also, If you're going to get into the show, Jingus, you need to watch the episode where they steal the old lady to pass off as their aunt. It's just comedy gold.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Bear Hugger213 said:
Harley, I didn't catch it at the beginning of the first episode as I was busy on my computer at the same time, why does Frank (Macy) have a black kid?

I can't remember, sorry.

foleyfanforever88

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Bear Hugger213 said:

I can't remember, sorry.

The kid's only half black. I don't remember if they said so specifically, but I think we're supposed to assume that Frank's kids have more than one mother and he's stuck taking care of (well, theoretically) all of them.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
foleyfanforever88 said:
Harley Quinn said:
Bear Hugger213 said:

I can't remember, sorry.

The kid's only half black. I don't remember if they said so specifically, but I think we're supposed to assume that Frank's kids have more than one mother and he's stuck taking care of (well, theoretically) all of them.

Ok, I figured they might have explained it before episode 1 when they were explain the characters. I wonder if he knocked up the hot black neighbor?

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Californication had me rolling from the time the monkey started throwing shit until the end of the episode.

Probably the best the show has ever been.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bear Hugger213 said:
foleyfanforever88 said:
Harley Quinn said:
Bear Hugger213 said:

I can't remember, sorry.

Ok, I figured they might have explained it before episode 1 when they were explain the characters. I wonder if he knocked up the hot black neighbor?

Actually, all the kids are Frank's expect the black kid. From what Frank said during a drunken rant in the first episode, their mother slept with another guy and left the family shortly after that. Although that doesn't fit with what Fiona saying she's been raising her siblings for years, unless we are to assume that their mother was just like Frank and totally irresponsible, which is highly probable.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bear Hugger213 said:
Ok, that makes more sense, about Liam being the mom's kid but not Frank's.

Personally, I can't wait to find out who the mother is because a female version of Frank would just be awesome.

Also, what happened to Mandy? I'm hoping she joins Karen in the under aged and nude party.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The little black kid is the son of the mother and Macy's parole officer. He said it when they were introducing the kids.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
HSJ said:
The little black kid is the son of the mother and Macy's parole officer. He said it when they were introducing the kids.

Thanks. I knew I missed something. I thought they would begin each episode with a similar opening and deleted the episode off my DVR after watching it.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Amy Smart has joined Shameless, the show managed to get even more awesome.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hawk 34 said:
Amy Smart has joined Shameless, the show managed to get even more awesome.

I can't wait to see her and Emmy pull off the white trash hotness.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For some reason I didn't think I would like Episodes, so I didn't see any of them until the most recent show Sunday night. It was actually a lot better than I expected and I've gone back and watched all of them now. I thought it was pretty weird that LeBlanc basically isn't even in the first episode. He's in that opening part for about 10 seconds (I don't think he even has any lines) and that's it.

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
I just watched all of Episodes as well. Love it. Matt pretty much goofing around and all the British sarcasm is awesome. Also this:

picture-2-e1295893732219.jpg

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Mik said:
I just watched all of Episodes as well. Love it. Matt pretty much goofing around and all the British sarcasm is awesome. Also this:

picture-2-e1295893732219.jpg

That character right there is one of the best on TV. Her deadpanning the lines is fantastic. "Yeah, that was funny."

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
How closely is Shameless following the original British series, because so far Shameless is just fucking awesome. It seems to get better every episode so far.

Oh and I think maybe Dexter didn't get mentioned in this thread for so long because it already has it's own thread, so does Weeds.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Tomorrow People", Kev continues to slowly become my favorite character on this show and that's pretty much an impossible task because the whole cast is brilliant. I hope we get more Marty in the future because the idea of Marty and Frank together is fascinating.