Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Shameless and other Showtime Shows

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Is it a foregone conclusion Karen's dad won't somehow get rescued? It isn't likely as he was all alone out there, but wow, that could wreck Karen, even further.

Lip peeing on Frank, and Frank accepting the humiliation was a cool moment in a sick way, haha.

Will be interesting to see if Fionna learns more about Steve's shady past next season because the other girl, red-headed one, was cut off before she confess to Fionna everything she actually knew.

Great show.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bear Hugger213 said:
Deb going to Steve/Jimmy's mom and ratting him out was great. Deb has grown into one of my favorite characters on the show.
This.

Deb reminds me of me as a kid. Nosy as hell!

The actress that portrays Karen is very much of legal age, so I feel no guilt in saying this: I wish I coulda been Frank in that video. She's hot with the black hair and the whole "dark" angle she's working, and I'm typically not into that.

Ian coming out to Fiona is probably very typical as sisters just know that stuff.

Fiona, in my mind, made the right decision not going to Costa Rica.

Glad to Sheila is making progress outside. Where was she when frank nailed Karen? Pacing the sidewalk I am guessing.

I hope Season 2 episode 1 is a Rossum/Smart HLA scene.

And I don't know, maybe a crossover episode, Carl hops a bus to Miami and meets up with Dexter Morgan. Just a thought.

OH and I love Tony promising his supervisor season tickets for the Bears including "post season."

Boy talk about a work of fiction. ;D

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
That part with Sheila was adorable. Frank wakes up, "You're outside." "I'm taking steps, this is 13." Then she stands up and does a little jump. Joan Cusack is so underrated. She's always lived in her brother's shadow, but she's a wonderful actress.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hated how Tony totally got one over on Steve. He bails them out of trouble by bribing the detective with those season tickets, then comes across Steve, who doesn't even know the kids got bailed out (maybe if he CHECKED HIS FUCKING VOICEMAILS!) who offers him that house. I was really hoping to see Fiona run away with Steve (would've been a great cliffhanger, even if she would've come back in the second episode next year) and then having Tony show up at the Gallaghers only to find the Fiona left the country. lol

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I'm 5 episodes into Shamless. I found myself hating the first 2, but I'm starting to come around to almost liking it. I figure by season's end I'll like it.

I just get annoyed way too easily by the characters. Fiona going around looking for Frank and telling everyone "It's the third Friday of the month." As her "duh" statement got on my nerves. As the viewing audience we get that it's his check day. But otherwise she's just telling people about it being a certain Friday and they should just know her family business, when it would be just quicker to goddamn say why you're looking for him. And despite her hotness I got it in my head that Fiona's not worth the trouble. Despite giving it up very easily.

The broad next door bugs me just thinking it's no big deal to loan everything to the criminals next door and it being cool despite the fact that it usually seems like it's not her stuff to loan out.

I also think actors are given far too much credit for successfully playing drunks.

The writers seem to like to put the redheaded kid in overly emotional scenes that while the actress is doing her best, it doesn't come off that great to me.

Like I said. It's growing on me, but didn't love the beginning.

And I'm halfway through season 3 of Californication. and I think it's the longest I've ever stuck with a show that I find myself not caring even a little bit about.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Bumping this since I've been watching The Borgias and it's been fantastic so far. Anyone else watching this? Jeremy Irons has been so fucking amazing so far.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
first ep of next seasons Californication is leaked out there as well, looks like Meagan Good is going to be playing the chick Hank will be chasing/banging this season.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Spoilers for the S2x01 Episode of Shameless

Nice to see the progress made in terms of the outdoor walks. Also interesting yet unsurprising developments on Ian's part and Frank is Frank. Curious to see what happens to the whole pot plot, if it's picked up again at a later date. And yay for more Amy Smart. I can see her pushing her interest in Fiona more until they finally do something together as a result.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Reminder that tonight is the season premiere for Shameless.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
Reminder that tonight is the season premiere for Shameless.

As well as Californication as well as the new Don Cheadle show, House of Lies. Lies looks tremendous.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Californication is a show I keep watching, despite not liking. I think I just keep hoping it will get good.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
The return of Shameless was pretty great. It didn't miss a beat from last season. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for next Sunday to come along already.

House of Lies was pretty good as well. I'm going to stick with it for the season to see where it goes, but it looks like Showtime has another winner.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched House of Lies and thought it was a decent pilot to start off although I'm unsure if the half hour format benefits it or hurts it at the moment. Cheadle/Bell seem like the obvious strongest in the show but I'm not big on the Unresolved Sexual Tension they're already throwing in. I'll probably stick with this for a few more episodes.

HaVoC

Vanity is my Favorite Sin
Reaction score
Detective Ventriloquist said:
The return of Shameless was pretty great. It didn't miss a beat from last season. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for next Sunday to come along already.

And Steve Howey (Kevin) looks like he hasn't missed a meal since last season. I'm not sure I've ever seen an actor let themselves go that much between seasons.

HaVoC

Reaction score
Ian is by far the best gay character on TV. He's "normal" and isn't the typical flamboyant stereotype. If Cameron Monaghan was a little older he could have just as easily have played Lip (who is my favorite character on Shameless).

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
HaVoC said:
Detective Ventriloquist said:

And Steve Howey (Kevin) looks like he hasn't missed a meal since last season. I'm not sure I've ever seen an actor let themselves go that much between seasons.

I thought the implied message was that Kevin had been taking advantage of his adopted daughter's ability as a housewife including cooking skills, which is something V has always lacked.

HaVoC

Reaction score
That's a good and creative way to write his fatness into the show. I wanted Steve Howey to get a bigger role this season, but come on now.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Shameless Episode 3 Thoughts...
- Frank manages to find new ways to be really, really scummy.
- The acting continues to be really solid, William H. Macy shined this week (especially at the bar post Dottie's death).
- Not surprised to see Steve phone call wise although I have to admit to not being excited to see him again either.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Steve just aggravates me for some unknown reason though I thought it was funny him being on the phone while getting head.

As far as Frank goes, I was torn between being appalled and amused by the whole situation with Dottie.

Incidentally, I never really thought of that actress to be BAD looking (not hot, but not FUGLY) and props to the Shameless crew for making her as ugly as they did.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Fionna is doing her part to become somewhat of an unlikable person in Season 2.

Amy Smart's character. Jesus. For some reason last season when she was explaining her sugar daddy thing, I thought she was just kind of accompanying these guys on outings and stuff, but she is actually sleeping with them, behind her husbands back. Only a matter of time before she probably is caught, kicked out and becomes an honorary member of the Gallagher household for a little while.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
I kept thinking the roll of Mandy Milkovich was being played by someone else, and it turns out it is. At first I kept second guessing myself that maybe she had just had a new hair color and grown a little, but I couldn't get over the fact that her voice sounded so different.

Was Jane Levy now it is Emma Greenwell.

Oh also, what are the odds that....

Karen's baby turns out to be Frank's? Karen is certainly enough of a slut that it could be someone's who hasn't even shown up in the show yet?

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
I kept thinking the roll of Mandy Milkovich was being played by someone else, and it turns out it is. At first I kept second guessing myself that maybe she had just had a new hair color and grown a little, but I couldn't get over the fact that her voice sounded so different.

Was Jane Levy now it is Emma Greenwell.

Oh also, what are the odds that....

Karen's baby turns out to be Frank's? Karen is certainly enough of a slut that it could be someone's who hasn't even shown up in the show yet?

I didn't recognize Mandy at first, at least looking the same, much like you. I don't know if I like the new girl that much, as she hasn't had a lot fo speaking time, but when she has, hasn't come off great.

I love your idea about the spoiler though. That would be a pretty awesome twist.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
Fionna is doing her part to become somewhat of an unlikable person in Season 2.

I thought she established this in the beginning of the series. When Steve was calling her on the phone, talking about the first time he noticed her "you were dancing with your friend." And her response is pretty much "WELL WHY DON'T YOU JUST FUCK HER THEN!" Goddammit, what a cunt.

And also her "We don't need your handout." Without adding, "we'd rather commit crimes"

Lip's an asshole. I don't like anyone on the show. But I still think it's ok

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the latest episode...
- Don't care about Fiona at all and
Steve
showing up has made me even less enthused.
- Does anything good ever happen to any of these characters? Vi's jumping to Kevin cheating on her just irked me as it seemed overreactive for the plot sake as opposed to character growth wise. Not sure how much longer I'll keep up with this show because it seems like every decent thing takes 2 steps backward, almost every character is just unlikeable or turned unlikeable, and the great acting can only do so much.
- The only characters I don't mind much are Ian and that's because his story is the least negative one and yet now we have the whole Lip recruitment stuff and Kevin because he doesn't seem to have much negative plots to him.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it sad that I now find Kevin & Vi to be the most interesting couple and people on the show?

Christ... Shameless is just nuclearing EVERY decent relationship & character it seems (and I still hate Steve/Fiona). The somewhat interesting Jasmine/Fiona relationship seems to have suddenly come to a head and seems to be moving towards some fucked up Fiona/Jasmine/Steve triangle where everybody is gonna be unhappy it seems. The Lip/Karen relationship is getting back to interesting which makes the entire relationship with what's his face completely worthless and just fucked up a decent storyline for no real reason (although I'm concerned that it's leading to an "Oh My God... it was really the sex addict's baby!" moment).

Also Ian, the one character I've liked from the start, has largely had nothing to do. His one storyline (joining the military) promptly got yanked from him and hasn't even gotten much of a resolve yet so I'm hoping something happens resolution wise there.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I was watching this weeks episode today, and I echo the statement about Kevin and Vi. They really are great characters. I still love the show, but I see what you're saying about the relationships of the characters.