Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Shameless and other Showtime Shows

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
You're probably right. I didn't watch The Sopranos, either, mostly because mobster movies/shows don't appeal to me on any level. I think I may have watched a few episodes in the first season, only because of Lorraine Bracco.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
They showed him in the last scene of the S4 finale. I agree that it was a bitch move, though; he should have died on that damned boat.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
So sick of him. I audibly groaned out loud when he showed up.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I love the show, but why does every character have to have such a horrible ending. The coworker who was going to get her baby back, this whole V and Kev story, pretty much everything for the Gallagher. Can't anyone ever have a happy ending?

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
Yeah the Kev & V thing makes no sense to me at all. Also, the co-worker who was about to get her baby back.....did I miss something or did they explain why she shot up hours before the hearing? I suppose Fionna's boss attempted to explain it with his monologue, but I mean heroin? really? Wow.

Steve returning, yeah I agree it was a bit groan inducing. Hell, even Lip proving "how southside he was" got an eye-roll.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I think it was done to show how easy it is to screw up and go back on the stuff. Her boss mentioned that even with how long he's been clean how tempted he was to see how much was left in the needle.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
The show's characters seem to get more deplorable as the show goes on. Even the ones who are seeming to try and better themselves just can't help going down the wrong path.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
NoCalMike said:
Steve returning, yeah I agree it was a bit groan inducing. Hell, even Lip proving "how southside he was" got an eye-roll.

I think the show's format is somewhat limiting in its ability to illustrate Lip's conflict between wanting to stay "true" to his "roots" and wanting to evolve into something better. There are too many moving parts on the show to be able to dedicate any significant time to that subplot, and I'm honestly not sure how many people besides me are interested in seeing it, anyway.

I'm kinda pissed that they had Steve surviving what should have been certain death, but I don't object to the idea of Steve being back in Fiona's life. I mean, was he ever really bad for her? It seems to me that the only time she was sane and/or a likeable character was when she was with him. Maybe his return will signal the start of Fiona coming out of her crazy spiral?

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Well, hasn't Steve disappeared out of the blue twice now? Even if part of Fionna still loves him, it would likely be better for her in the big picture to move on from him, because his leaving and coming back is likely contributing to her breakdowns.

Also, with Lip, I understand why maybe as a high school senior, and even as a freshman in college he might have felt conflicted about getting out/staying true, but by now he should see the opportunity he has in front of him, especially now that he is in with his "girlfriend's" dad, and how it could help his family.

Debbie, I can get with her character somewhat, she seems like a normal girl going through young womanhood for the most part.

Carl, I dunno, I feel like his character is just so over the top at this point that he's merely being written for the LULZ of "wouldn't it be so funny for a 12 year old to be so bad"

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
I'm subject to give Lip a little more benefit of the doubt. If he's still going through all this after his second year of college, though, I'll wash my hands of him.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Mickey, out of everyone, seems to be growing the most. From him finally saying he loves Ian to wanting to get him better. But then he does stuff like last night.

Debbie, as mentioned seems the most normal, but she always really has.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
The teaser for next week showed Ian talking to someone while he was incarcerated. If it was Mandy (who I think was blonde, when we last saw her), Sammi is one dead bitch.

I'm having difficulty remembering my UCMJ: exactly how severely can Ian be punished for deserting, if his enlistment was unlawful to begin with?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't tell if I actually like this show anymore because no character is likeable anymore. The closest likeable relationship is, amazingly, Frank/Bianca and I'm counting down the minutes until the writers manage to ruin that/fuck it up somehow.

EDIT: Well... guess I should've meant that literally. UGH.

Skywarp!

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On the subject of Showtime, I just finished the 2nd season of Masters of Sex.

...And now I have a schoolboy crush on Lizzy Caplan. Late to that party, I know.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
The writers seemed to do their best by the end of Season 5 to make every character on the show unlikable except the two that were scummy from the start; Frank & Mickey. Those two have actually had some redemption.

I just finished the finale and wow....nothing looks to be getting better going into next season.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I tapped out after season three. I was hate-watching it and needed to stop. There's no one to like. Just a bunch of low life scumbag petty criminals. But family blah blah blah.

I also think actors are given too much credit for playing alchaholics. And the little ginger wasn't a good enough actress for the emotional scenes they kept giving her.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
This show almost has the same trajectory as Weeds, as to where when it started out, the petty crime to get through life was cute, but the storylines have been so exaggerated and overdone that there is little way of redeeming any character.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
New season started up last night. Anyone watch? Every character is as absurd as ever besides Lip.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I discontinued my Showtime subscription but after last season I'm not exactly sorry I'll be missing this.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
This show has become an absurd cartoon. Every single character transformed into such a caricature that it's hard for me not to watch. It's great!

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've never hoped for an abortion in my life (I'm more of a "do what works for you" kind of person in that regard) but God Damned would someone please just push Debbie down the stairs?

(I do not advocate pushing pregnant teenagers down the stairs in real life, just sassy fictional ones)

Though she did sort of own Fiona in the kitchen.

Also, laughed a little too hard at, "The F Word" song. It was entirely predictable where he was going with that when he gave that set up, but yeah. Knowing all the musicians I know who write sappy shit for their "in the audience girl" and this "angry shit for a girl that'll never hear it" this worked.

NoCalMike

Reaction score
Yeah the "F Word" song was a nice break from the usual "every dude in the world loves Fionna" pace.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This last episode of Shameless was all sorts of "what the fuck?!"

All of the subplots.

And it just dawned on me that Queenie is Sherilyn Fenn.