Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Legends Passing Away

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cowboys Hall of Fame tackle Rayfield Wright passed away at 76. Despite being a 7th-round pick, he ended up playing in five Super Bowls for Dallas, winning two of them.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Daryle Lamonica, the Oakland Mad Bomber (low-key GOAT nickname), also passed away at age 80 :(

RIP to both.

Staff member
Reaction score

I knew this guy wouldn't live very long because of his weight, so I'm gonna say something I've been wanting to say because some large people have been dying lately and it's eating at me. If anyone here is overweight to the extent he was, please get that shit under control for the good of your family. I would say almost everyone on this board is 35 or older. That's not that far away from 55. That's less time left than you already lived, and you're gone. We aren't bullet proof you guys.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
This one feels shocking becuase he seemed so mentally healthy in recent years. Without the NFL workout schedule he probably couldn’t burn off all the shit he was eating.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
This one feels shocking becuase he seemed so mentally healthy in recent years. Without the NFL workout schedule he probably couldn’t burn off all the shit he was eating.
Leroy Butler has said in our local media circles that his eating habits was the biggest thing he had to change after he retired. He had consumed mass calories to support his elite workout schedule, and suddenly he was at home/radio station and fat.
--
Last 2 posts hit home as I'm turning 40 this month, carrying 300 lbs and have one kidney.
It's been a good run.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Very underappreciated QB in terms of the importance of what he did in that Super Bowl win over the Minnesota Vikings. KC making it to Super Bowl I also tends to get glossed over because of Lombardi and the Packers legacy that ensued.

Those Chiefs teams usually weren't very good outside of a few seasons but he made 2 SB appearances and was ahead of his time in the 1960s.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Super Bowl IV is one of those games that my dad brought up an inexplicable amount since he had no rooting interest in either team. I think he must've placed a class room bet on it.

Anyway that and '90s/early '00s Inside the NFL are my Len Dawson memories.

1661452777065.png
I was wondering if he was the last Super Bowl winning QB to rip butts but a Google search tells me that John Elway might have been a cigarette smoker during his career. WTH?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Super Bowl IV is one of those games that my dad brought up an inexplicable amount since he had no rooting interest in either team. I think he must've placed a class room bet on it.

Anyway that and '90s/early '00s Inside the NFL are my Len Dawson memories.

View attachment 1453
I was wondering if he was the last Super Bowl winning QB to rip butts but a Google search tells me that John Elway might have been a cigarette smoker during his career. WTH?
Zero chance Big Ben wasn’t ripping darts in between Big Macs and his Tuesday night Rape session.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Earnie Shavers, 78.

26 year boxing career with wins over Ken Norton, and Jimmy Ellis.
I mentioned a boxing podcast in another thread about punchers. Shavers' power was legendary. The Ken Norton fight was cold hearted destruction.

Also check out this moment from the second Holmes/Shavers fight. Shavers lands a punch that could be heard in the back row. Holmes somehow gets up.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
RIP Maury Wills. Basestealer. The most stolen bases in a single season from 1920-61 (the live ball era) was 63. Wills in 1962 stole 104 bases. He changed the game, forcing teams to put more of a premium on catchers' defense.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
RIP Maury Wills. Basestealer. The most stolen bases in a single season from 1920-61 (the live ball era) was 63. Wills in 1962 stole 104 bases. He changed the game, forcing teams to put more of a premium on catchers' defense.
He's one of the very few along with guys like Rickey Henderson that I associate with stealing bases as a legitimate offensive weapon. I feel like the phrase, "Give him a single/walk and he's turning that into a double or triple," was coined for.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Heaven needed a boxing referee.

He was so damn ubiquitous in late '90s pop culture (complete with judge show and cameo in late era WCW). Can't forget Celebrity Deathmatch Ngl though I could've swore he passed 10-15 years ago. I guess he retired from public life after suffering a debilitating stroke in 2002 so I guess that's an easy mistake to make. RIP!

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Famed tennis instructor/coach Nick Bolletieri has died at age 91. He trained most of the biggest tennis stars from the 70s/80s/90s.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hell of an interesting career. Three time NBA Champion (two with Celtics and one with Sonics), helped Celtics win their first championships post Bill Russell), LeBron's first NBA coach, and coached the worst team in NBA history (the 2011-12 Charlotte Bobcats). RIP!