Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Legends Passing Away

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Sal Bando passed over the weekend. His bWAR of 61.5 makes him a sometime cause of statheads for the Hall. But that aside, he finished 2nd, 4th and 5th in MVP voting for teams that won division titles, two of them which won World Championships.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a big fan of him but always enjoyed him in the booth. RIP

alkeiper

Reaction score
That one hurts. I grew up listening to Tim call Met games for 15 years or so.

RIP
Ditto. I'm from the Poconos and I actually liked Ozzie Smith as a kid. The Phillies were on premium channel PRISM, so I have more childhood memories of McCarver, Ralph Kiner and company than Harry and Whitey. McCarver had a 21 year career as an above average catcher, he caught Gibson's 17 K World Series game as well as all the Cards' World Series games in the '60s. He was the Phillies' backup catcher when the team got really good in the '70s, he was in the booth when the team broke through and won the '80 pennant.

I remember expressing extreme annoyance at his work with Fox in the postseason and honestly, I probably wouldn't have the same reaction today.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Him and Joe Buck were an annoying team tbh but him correctly sort of predicting the how the walkoff of Game 7 of the ‘01 World Series would go right before it happened was a cool moment.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Willis Reed is infamously known for his postseason but he actually was a HC with the Knicks ('77-'78) and an assistant coach with the Hawks ('85-'87), Kings ('87-88), and HC of the Nets in '88-89. He also served as the Nets GM from '89-96 so you can thank him for the guys that came on those teams then.

RIP

alkeiper

Reaction score
Roger Craig, aged 93. As a player Craig pitched for three World Series winners but saw his most prominent role as “ace” for the 1962-63 New York Mets. After his career he became a manager and coach. He was the pitching coach for the ‘84 Tigers and managed the ‘89 Giants to the World Series.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Had to stop for a minute after I saw Lombardi cause I was like “no man this dude been dead”

Updating a death thread to merely commemorate an already dead persons hypothetical 110th birthday isn’t good behavior.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Former MLB reliever Dick Hall passed away last week. Always loved his stat lines because of his insane control. In the last nine years of his career Hall pitched a total of 661 innings and issued 44 unintentional walks. Over nine years Hall issue more intentional than unintentional walks.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Gil Brandt died at 91 :( The main architect of the 1970s Dallas Cowboys teams and the Godfather to modern-day scouting as far as computers, grading numerical systems, and lower-level talent evaluation.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Brooks Robinson. 23 seasons with the Baltimore Orioles. Two world championships, four pennants, an MVP. While Cal was probably their greatest player Brooks always seemed like the soul of their franchise and probably one of the most universally liked players in baseball.