Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Super market music

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Heard this HAM jam at the grocery store the other night and I can't believe it's taken this many pages to get mentioned ITT
Looked it up after I got home and saw that Boy Meets Girl were the songwriters that wrote "How Will I Know" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" for Whitney Houston. They wanted Whitney to do this one but she and Belinda Carlisle rejected it. It's too bad cause now I'm just stewing about how much better this song would have been if it was sung by Whitney. Oh well.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Trader Joe's was blasting Hootie's "Only Wanna Be With You," while work has spent weeks now blasting the Post Malone cover. I'm just worn down.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I always confuse that with David Bowie's "Blue Jean" cause of the somewhat similar music videos and fact that they were in similar maligned stages in their career (and right around the same time they did that awful "Dancin' in the Street" cover/video!). Difference is "Just Another Night" has Rae Dawn Chong in it and "Blue Jean" has duelling Bowies (and is actually a pretty good song/video).

I feel like Mick Jagger's solo career is marginally underrated though. Not cause it's great but just the way Keith slags it makes everyone assume that it's friggin horrible. It's really not that much worse than your average post Tattoo You Stones stuff...or Keith's solo albums for that matter. Keith is just smart that he didn't try to be super contemporary like Mick's solo stuff (or Undercover and Dirty Work).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also the line in the pre chorus "Just Another Night" where Mick sings about how he's freezing in a $100 hotel room has always inexplicably confounded me. If it's meant to mean it's a cheap hotel, he's woefully out of touch but I think it's meant to mean a super expensive which also doesn't make sense. Adjusted for inflation, that's $268, which would get a nice hotel but not anywhere near what'd get you a hotel the Rolling Stones would hang out at. Were hotels just a lot cheaper in 1985? These stupid things keep me up at night and Walter Yetnikoff's plan to make Mick Jagger the next Michael Jackson was doomed from the start!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Song's legit. Better than most of the Stones singles after, for sure.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm reading an article about Bruce Springsteen getting onstage to do a few songs with Coldplay during Coldplay's show at MetLife Stadium. In the article, it's revealed that Chris Martin has a tattoo with the lyrics of "Working on a Dream" on his forearm and that's why Boss felt inspired to jump onstage (and perform that song with them).

It really says something about Chris Martin's personality that of all the Springsteen lyrics you can get tattooed, he picks the title track from one of his worst late era albums.

(rubs Lucky Town forearm tat)

Valeyard

Reaction score
Olivia Rodrigo is terrible and far too whiny for a place like Trader Joe's. They gotta rock harder. Give us some motherfuckin Owl City.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Goddamn, the whole world is obsessed with that Kate Bush song now. Heard it in two different stores this week. Thanks, Stanger Things.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's in the Top 5 now and there's a very real possibility that Kate Bush will have a #1 US hit in the year of our lord 2022.

Valeyard

Reaction score
She's blisteringly attractive though.

Also I don't go in the food folder but if you ever see that jalapeno limeade shit at Trader Joe's, don't get it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TIL that Bad English had a #1 Billboard hit but Journey did not.

There's just something about John Waite, Vale.

Valeyard

Reaction score

Just made me feel old, little stop-n-rob on the corner.

Valeyard

Reaction score
She's still beautiful.

Besides it ain't like she beat him with a phone for 20 minutes.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was in Target this afternoon and "Puttin' on the Ritz" was playing. I've been humming the song for the last few hours. Including all through dinner.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did a river boat tour on Saturday and towards the beginning the captain played Kid Rock's cover of "Drift Away" and I thought assuredly that'd be the worst '00s cover of an '70s classic on the trip. In a last second upset, as we were getting off the boat, he played Counting Crows and Vanessa Carlton's version of "Big Yellow Taxi".

I think that might be my current least favorite song of all time. Not even a Counting Crows hater or a big Joni Mitchell fan but jeez, they desecrated that damn song. As horrible as Kid Rock's "Drift Away" was (and that weird mid '00s phase of him insisting that he could actually sing well), at least he gave Dobie Gray a decent paycheck in his final years and let him sing half of the cover.

FAKE EDIT- I forgot that "Drift Away" cover was Uncle Kracker not Kid Rock. BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Not only did we get Kid Rock insisting he was an OK singer but we were supposed to accept his sidekick was an OK singer too! The '00s friggin sucked.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I love "Drift Away" on the grounds it's totally a hymn. Covers of it bug me significantly less when I think of it like that.

Worst cover is Limp Bizkit's version of "Behind Blue Eyes" and I can't be swayed.

Also hearing Better Than Ezra at Trader Joe's is oddly satisfying.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was confusing Uncle Kracker's cover of "Drift Away" with Kid Rock's blasphemous cover of Bad Company's "Feel Like Makin' Love", which is almost as bad as Limp Bizkit's "Behind Blue Eyes".

'03 was the year Limp Bizkit really tested our patience and we finally decided to tell them to frig off until late '90s/early '00s nostalgia became a thing a few years ago. Not only did they crap all over one of the iconic classic rock anthems of all time but Fred Durst made out with Halle Barry in the video. How did he think he could get away with that!?

Also that was around same time they got booed off stage at the Summer Sanitarium tour. 2003 was just a crappy year all around for mainstream entertainment, huh?

Valeyard

Reaction score
I was pretty indifferent to "Feel Like Makin' Love" but it's bad. It was on the heels of Madonna's version of "American Pie," though, which is another one that's way up there. "Behind Blue Eyes" made me genuinely angry.