Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The BIGLY Discussion of Anime/Manga Thread

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Damn that sucks. Such an incredible influence on the medium.

It's crazy that a masterpiece that's been running for 30 years is just over.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally knocked out I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job and it was decent for what it was. I still liked Devil Is a Part-Timer more in terms of the similar story aspect. Started up Zombie Land Saga: Revenge finally and its as great as I remember S1 being.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is actually kind of a new trend with huge manga btw. Demon Slayer also just ended and it only had a fairly short run and was the most popular manga of alltime sales wise. It could have run forever if it wanted but the writer decided to end it on a high which is a really cool decision IMO

Reaction score
This is actually kind of a new trend with huge manga btw. Demon Slayer also just ended and it only had a fairly short run and was the most popular manga of alltime sales wise. It could have run forever if it wanted but the writer decided to end it on a high which is a really cool decision IMO

Damn, interesting. How many seasons do you think they can get out of it?

We are almost up to season 4 of Naruto.
Great so far. No SPILLERZ, but Rock Lee is my favorite character.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure because I'm not reading the manga but at a geuss at least two more. Probably depends on how long the arc is.

I watched all of Naruto and the first season or two of Shippudon before losing track. I liked it a lot when it wasn't bogged down with filler arcs. I liked Bleach more of the big two shonen shows of that anime personally though. Rock Lee and Kakashi were definetly the best characters.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Season 2 is kicking off. Fuck Yeah!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@HarleyQuinn asked me to post a list of recommendations because it would be easier to remember if I posted them in here. I'm just going to post everything I think he and @Brooklyn Zoo should watch (leaving off stuff I'm really sure they have seen) from the top part of my list. And if you guys ever manage to get through all of this I'll add more. Obviously anyone else can try this stuff too.

And I'm going to break it into a couple parts because it's a lot! I'm going to try and break it into genre/theme that can be hard. This stuff is more Shonen/action (where I feel like it add comments), also this isn't in order:

Gintama- Super long and only in Japanese. The combo of comedy, drama and action is the best in anime IMO.
Black Lagoon
Gurrenn Lagann
Darker Than Black
Hunter X Hunter (2011 version)-
Kill la Kill- total over the top crazyness
Sidonia No Kishi (Knights of Sidonia)- good scifi
Rokka no Yuusha (Braves of the 6 Flowers)- Chosen heroes come together...but one of them is a FAKE! They have to figure out who before the fake kills them all!
One Punch Man
Mob Psycho 100- This could go in comedy too. It's by the 1PunchMan crew and does for Psychics what they did before for Superman.
Black Clover- starts a little slow but really picks up.
Vinland Saga
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (either version is good but this version is more true to the source and I like it more)
Fairy Tail
Kekkaishi (this is a cut below a lot of the stuff tbh but it's one of my personal fav shows anyway. and the OP is killer)

Wacky Comedies (aka a lot of HQ stuff):
Azumanga Daioh- the best slice of life/school comedy ever.
FLCL- Amazing music and the visuals and concept are great. It's a much watch. The latter additional eps are a letdown.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- I think you guys saw this but in case you didn't!
Lucky Star- Somewhat similiar to Daioh.
Mitsudomoe
Ben-To- Late at night people gather in stores to fight over halfpriced Bento's. It's a wacky concept and really fun.
D-Frag
World Conquest Zvezda Plot- a group of crazy people are plotting to take over the world led by a little girl
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.- like Mob Psycho but pure comedy.
The Devil is a Part-Timer- He's the devil and hes trapped on earth working parttime.
Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time- These are all about 10 minutes and it's just a girl watching a boy doing totally crazy shit at his desk. Super simple but really funny.
Kaguya-sama: Love is War- Two super-competitive people are secretly in love and are trying to force the other to admit it through crazy hijinks.

I'll have the rest later. Some movies! Dramas! Romance! Others!

Reaction score
Great list. Like 7 of those you mentioned in the Shonen list are in my top 15 favs (Hunter Hunter and FMA in my top 5). For which ones do you strongly recommend sub over dub? Like I love the One Punch Man sub but I think the Hunter Hunter, Mob Psycho and FMA dubs are pretty good.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
modern dubs are generally really high quality so I don't think it really makes a huge difference. I personally prefer subs whenever possible just because it brings it closer to the intent of the creators but sometimes it is easier to use a dub and they can be just as good.

That said I do really love the Azumanga Daioh dub and it is impossible for me to hear Osaka as anything other than a Texan.

There is one show on the next list where I will be saying you GOTTA use the subs though!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
@HarleyQuinn asked me to post a list of recommendations because it would be easier to remember if I posted them in here. I'm just going to post everything I think he and @Brooklyn Zoo should watch (leaving off stuff I'm really sure they have seen) from the top part of my list. And if you guys ever manage to get through all of this I'll add more. Obviously anyone else can try this stuff too.

And I'm going to break it into a couple parts because it's a lot! I'm going to try and break it into genre/theme that can be hard. This stuff is more Shonen/action (where I feel like it add comments), also this isn't in order:

Gintama- Super long and only in Japanese. The combo of comedy, drama and action is the best in anime IMO.
Black Lagoon
Gurrenn Lagann
Darker Than Black
Hunter X Hunter (2011 version)-
Kill la Kill- total over the top crazyness
Sidonia No Kishi (Knights of Sidonia)- good scifi
Rokka no Yuusha (Braves of the 6 Flowers)- Chosen heroes come together...but one of them is a FAKE! They have to figure out who before the fake kills them all!
One Punch Man
Mob Psycho 100- This could go in comedy too. It's by the 1PunchMan crew and does for Psychics what they did before for Superman.
Black Clover- starts a little slow but really picks up.
Vinland Saga
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (either version is good but this version is more true to the source and I like it more)
Fairy Tail
Kekkaishi (this is a cut below a lot of the stuff tbh but it's one of my personal fav shows anyway. and the OP is killer)

Wacky Comedies (aka a lot of HQ stuff):
Azumanga Daioh- the best slice of life/school comedy ever.
FLCL- Amazing music and the visuals and concept are great. It's a much watch. The latter additional eps are a letdown.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya- I think you guys saw this but in case you didn't!
Lucky Star- Somewhat similiar to Daioh.
Mitsudomoe
Ben-To- Late at night people gather in stores to fight over halfpriced Bento's. It's a wacky concept and really fun.
D-Frag
World Conquest Zvezda Plot- a group of crazy people are plotting to take over the world led by a little girl
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.- like Mob Psycho but pure comedy.
The Devil is a Part-Timer- He's the devil and hes trapped on earth working parttime.
Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time- These are all about 10 minutes and it's just a girl watching a boy doing totally crazy shit at his desk. Super simple but really funny.
Kaguya-sama: Love is War- Two super-competitive people are secretly in love and are trying to force the other to admit it through crazy hijinks.

I'll have the rest later. Some movies! Dramas! Romance! Others!
Loved several of the ones you listed under the Wacky Comedies banner: Daioh, FLCL, Ben-To, D-Frag, and Devil is a Part-Timer. Some of them I've tried and just never really got hooked into e.g. Black Clover, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Love is War though.

Ben-To was the most pleasant surprise of that grouping. It seems really stupid when you read the synopsis but is surprisingly enjoyable/funny.

Thanks for the list :)

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rom-Coms, Dramas, and Sob-stories~
Toradora- Could have gone in wacky comedy but it's a great rom-com.
Your Lie in April- A rare 10/10 from me! I don't usually go shows so heavily into classical music or FEELINGS but this is just great stuff.
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad- All about the rock baby. One of my favourite ops. I WANNA HIT IN THE USA~
Erased: A double time-travel murder mystery. Really good stuff.
Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day- Another one I really loved. Guy starts seeing the ghost of a childhood friend who died under mysterious (to the viewer at least) circumstances and gets all his old friends together.
Kokoro Connect: Friends start switching bodies and instead of just focusing on the comedy there's also DRAMA~

SciFi and Other
Bokura No (eng: Bokurano): 15 kids all gain control of a giant robot and are told they gotta stop 15 alien invasions. Each will get a turn to pilot the robot. It's some dark shit in this and I love it.
From the New World: Psychic kids living in a utopia start coming to grips with the dark secrets hidden from them.
Higurashi When They Cry (make sure to watch it in the right order unlike HQ)- It's a horror show!
Mushishi- All about Japanese folktales. Great animation and music. Love this.
XXXholic- A guy can see supernatural beings and ends up working in a store that grants wishes. really crazy art style.
Mirai Nikki (Future Diary)- The show that MUST BE WATCHED WITH SUBS! The single greatest voice acting performance ever! You will believe she is a psycho girlfriend out to murder you!

A few Movies (studio ghibli is not included because you should have already watched them all as an anime fan)
Sword of The Stranger
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
A Silent Voice
Your Name (I'm sure you both saw this but just in case)
Evangalion 1.0 (and then the other movies. the final movie will be streaming in August)

@King Kamala should watch one of these movies (or shows!)

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
we're a good ways into the season now so here's what I'm watching.

Remake our Life!
Battle Game in 5 Seconds
D_Cide Traumerei the Animation
How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom
The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace
The Dungeon of Black Company
Night Head 2041
Peach Boy Riverside
Scarlet Nexus
Spirit Chronicles
Sonny Boy- interesting mystery.
The Detective is Already Dead- This is really good so far.
The Case Study of Vanitas- probably dropping this

Sequels
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2 Part 2 -
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! 2- @HarleyQuinn would love this show
I’m Standing on a Million Lives Season 2-

continued from last season
My Hero Academia 5
Tokyo Revengers I think @Brooklyn Zoo would like this.
Edens Zero- this is just fairy tail in space so HQ will love this.

Reaction score
we're a good ways into the season now so here's what I'm watching.

Remake our Life!
Battle Game in 5 Seconds
D_Cide Traumerei the Animation
How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom
The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace
The Dungeon of Black Company
Night Head 2041
Peach Boy Riverside
Scarlet Nexus
Spirit Chronicles
Sonny Boy- interesting mystery.
The Detective is Already Dead- This is really good so far.
The Case Study of Vanitas- probably dropping this

Sequels
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2 Part 2 -
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! 2- @HarleyQuinn would love this show
I’m Standing on a Million Lives Season 2-

continued from last season
My Hero Academia 5
Tokyo Revengers I think @Brooklyn Zoo would like this.
Edens Zero- this is just fairy tail in space so HQ will love this.

Tokyo Revengers looks good and I know it’s not a swastika but I don’t how I feel watching that show with those symbols and their dyed blonde hair. I know they’re not Nazis but damn couldn’t they pick another symbol

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
lol! I didn't even think of the blonde hair tiein because i'm so used to the blonde gangster thing in japan. it's totally innocent though thankfully. There's a lot of anime with weird Nazi tieins but this isn't one of them!

so far.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

also worth mentioning is this. It's a couple years old but is really good. Each episode is about 50 minutes and is almost like a mini-movie. The show is about the hunt for 12 cursed swords and the un-armed sword style of the guy chosen to go after them. Really cool art style and like I said each episode feels like it's own little movie so it is easy to just watch one own its own at a time if you want or keep going.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched the 4 Evangelion films (1.11, 2.22, 3.33, and 3.0+1.0) via Amazon Prime. Great stuff overall with the finale being the best IMO. Shinji was actually pretty tolerable and Asuka was a badass.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Watched the first ep of that and it looks really good. Excited to see where it goes.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
the first episode of Platinum End dropped which is by the writer of Death Note. It seems to be a mix of DN and Future Diary. Which means it should be amazing.
I thought this was pretty fun. Didn't like how the last scene made it look like it's going to be a battle anime. But we'll see.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@tekcop the battle aspect is where I got the future diary vibes. I'm hoping that he combines the more psychological aspects of Death Note with the better parts of Future Diary.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Knocked out the 2nd seasons of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Zombieland Saga (Revenge). Enjoyed both a ton although I missed the death metal OP in the latter show.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Banged out High Rise Invasion and started up Eden's Zero. Former was fine in a far lesser Tower of God manner. The latter is very, very influenced by Fairy Tail's art style to the point that I'm just fanoning that it's part of the Fairy Tail universe.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Eden's Zero S2 will be coming to Netflix on 11/24.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I meant to update on the shows I've been watching this season earlier but I've been out of it the last week or so.
I've got a ton of shows going this season although a number of them I'm kinda letting pile up to go through once they're done.

The Standouts (so far)
Blue Period- a bored teen discovers his love of art and tries to get into the most difficult public art school in japan. this is really one of the most interesting shows in a while. I'm not an art guy at all but it's really a fun drama and it makes the art easy to understand.

Komi Can't Communicate- Class Idol is actually so scared of people she can't speak to them and wants to learn how to make friends. Extremely funny and touching and the animation is top notch.

86 Part 2- second season of a great show. a nation forces a minority group to do the fighting for them in mechs against robots and pretends they basically don't exist (the 86d get it!). lots of drama and fighting and oddly touching.

Platinum End- only watched the first ep as I'm saving it but it looks great;

The Faraway Paladin- guy is reborn into a dead city and raised by three undead heroes. I don't want to give too many details but this is a really fun and again touching show. honestly this is a good season for shows.

Good so far but could go either way!
The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat- just read the title! he has to kill the world's hero by a certain date because the hero goes EVIL!

Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside- This is the closest to being on the top list. The guy leaves the hero's party due to feeling useless but he actually served a key purpose. We see small scenes of the party floundering without him set against the happy life he's starting. it's a interesting buy slow paced show so far. I don't know if it's setting up for a dark turn but I sure hope so!

Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu- Altworld Cold War space race with vampire!

World Trigger 3rd Season- If you like shonen shows with world building and teams fighting this is fun. its easy to burn through but it isnt a top show.

Sakugan- father and daughter live underground in a big city andtake agiant mech to explore the undergound world.only watched the first two eps but this feels like a show @HarleyQuinn would like a lot.

some other stuff (barely started or only ok)
Deep Insanity: The Lost Child- exploring a lost world with guns and powers type shit)

The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated! (comedic demon looking to rebuild her power and always failing)

Mieruko-chan- teen who sees the dead and tries to pretend she can't

Tesla Note- searching for Tesla's lost inventions that are causing crazy shit.