Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The BIGLY Discussion of Anime/Manga Thread

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So as usual I have bad insomnia and when I can't sleep I've been rewatching DBZ on crunchyroll. I'm FFing a lot of filler stuff although not everything. They don't have Kai only the original and they don't have the awesome original score (watching in Dub because it makes it easy to burn through it) which sucks. I'm up to the start of the Cell Games now and got a few observations:

Chi-Chi is DBZ is insufferable. How did she go from being all about fighting to loathing fighters? People talk about how Krillin (more later) or Gohan and others get messed up in this show but I think Chi-Chi is the worst when you consider how annoying she is. Plus her refusal to let Gohan learn anything probably can be blamed for a lot of issues.

Krillin is utterly useless. All he does is stand around cowering and doubting Goku. He exists to die or get his ass kicked so Goku/Gohan can power up. in DB he was a lot more interesting. Super makes him more interesting again.

Vegeta is way way more of a prick than I remember him being for a lot longer which is great. Almost zero fucking regard for Bulma/Trunks even in the Android Saga. You see a few small hints but still just a utter callous douche. The show also does a much better job than I remembered explaining WHY he is this way.

The Freiza fight is way too long. I love it but man its too long. Found it hilarious his Xenomorph transformation got almost no time.

Goku and Piccolo learning to drive is the greatest filler episode of any anime series ever. FIGHT ME.

Trunks is the best character in the show. Badass debut, his characterization, his growth, just all of it is great.

Goku and Gohan training in the Time Chamber is great because it shows that Goku is actually a fantastic dad which blows up all the memes. Still a shitty husband but I don't blame him on that one.

Nothing about the Androids and how strong they are or how they work makes sense. at all.

maxresdefault.jpg

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

also I didn't know about this OVA, I have to track it down. Vegeta has a living brother and the whole thing sounds really amusing.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finished rewatching, although I didn't watch the Buu stuff because I watched the Kai version of it fairly recently. I stopped with Vegeta sacrificing himself which is alltime GOAT moment.

Thoughts from the start of android stuff:

16, 17, and 18 are fun characters. 19 and 20 never really come across as a threat.

Goku getting taken down by the Virus just feels like a big time waster and excuse to get him out of the way. Really starts to get old at this point to have him show up late to help everyone.

Vegeta thinking he's going to own everyone only to get completely wrecked is always fantastic and we get it a couple times in this. It's especially great when Trunks refuses to help him to save his WARRIOR PRIDE.

Trunks is just great the whole way. the only Z Warrior with any sense. Always tries to win the fight. Hates when the others fuck around. Wants his dad's approval and understands his motivations, just really solid characterization.

Cell is my favourite villain (not counting vegeta). Each stage of his transformation gives a slightly different personality and vibe.

Gohan coming into his own is so great. His refusal to reach his full potential because of his fears all makes sense given his backstory and then when he breaks through to true SS2 and he absolutely WRECKS the Cell Jrs and Cell in the best fight in the show,...superb. Even how he shows arrogance like all Saiyans do. If only they didn't have him backtrack after...

"Trunk I haven't held you since you were a baby have I? Come here son." ah shit I got something in my eye. Vegeta is so great.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought about rewatching Super but I watched it so recently I'm not going to yet. I did rewatch the Frieza movie though. Golden Frieza is a great look.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

fuck yeaaaah. Hopefully they start up another anime adaption quickly for this too.

Speaking of anime Bleach is supposed to be back in the fall and DBZ and One Piece have movies coming out in the next while. One Piece is really interesting one because finally getting something based around Shanks who has been looming over the entire story from the start.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah i can't say that's a good idea at all.

In other big news they announced today that the next One Piece "saga" will be the final one. Of court the current saga has been going for about 5 years. There's still a ton of stuff to get to so that sort of goal would make sense.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Love Mob Psycho. With that and Bleach (and who knows what else) the fall anime schedule is going to be insane.

We need another season of One Punch Man but only if the animation is like season 1. The studio who took over season 2 butchered it.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I see that Bastard is coming to Netflix in a couple of days. It might be worth checking out. It's one of Shonen Jump's most popular series. It started in '88 and technically hasn't ended yet, but never got an anime adaptation outside of an OVA in the 90's.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finished up Spy x Family and started S2 of Devil is a Part-Timer. Also now have 6 episodes left of Demon Slayer, hoping to knock that out tomorrow.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
seasons a couple episodes in on most shows although there's a couple netflix ones that haven't started yet I think. I also haven't started Made In Abyss s2 as I want to refresh on s1. Here's what I'm watching atm:

Shine on! Bakumatsu Bad Boys: The Shinsengumi are dead and replaced by reformed(?) criminals to hunt down the killers and there's magic swords and shit? looks like it could be ok.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! season 2: Fuck yeah. Almost 10 year wait for this. gives me hope for every other one season show out there.

Classroom of the Elite 2: everyone has secrets and each arc is about revealing more layers and the main character solving what ever test the school has thrown at them. There's plenty of shows like this but watching the ultra-genius manipulate things is generally fun.

My Stepmom's Daughter Is My Ex: Two kids dated in middle school, broke up and then just before high school find out their parents are getting married and move in together. Of course they keep this totally secret from their parents (who apparently never knew) and everyone else. lots of misunderstandings and hijinks~

Orient 2: Magic swords! Demons! Flying Castles! Motorcycles?

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer: The most original of the shows. There's a giant hammer hanging over the earth (that only a few people can see) and a few chosen people are supposed to stop it and the demons working for it. One of them is a dude with a Lizard familiar and another is a girl who wants to save the world just so she can destroy it herself.

Overlord IV: The most interesting thing about this show is that it's an isekai where the "protaganist" is evil or at least heavily leans that way.

Black Summoner: Another Isekai because there has to be several every season. Guy trades his memories of his old world for more starting powers. The goddess who greeted him also tags along for some reason. This actually seems like it's pretty good so far and is trying to do a few different things compared to most Isekai.

My Isekai Life: I Gained a Second Character Class and Became the Strongest Sage in the World: More Isekai! This one feels more boilerplate. Incredibly OP guy who just wants to be left alone god damnit. Emotionless, blah blah. Feels like the show I might drop soon.

There's a couple others I'm trying but nothing worth mentioning. Compared to last season this is a much less eventful season. Next season has a ton of big shows though.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

this is on netflix. This is a pretty funny parody of all the Isekai stuff that's been crowding the market the last several years. The Uncle wakes up after being in a coma for years and can do magic and was in another world. So his nephew takes him in and uses it to make videos online and make money. The subverting of all the isekai tropes is pretty amusing.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed this. This is very very much a Gohan/Piccolo movie.
Goku and Vegeta are barely in it.

This felt like much more of an actual movie with a real story arc than almost any other DB movies. It also moves the series several years forward.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok now that've watched at least one episode of most things, here's waht I'm watching this season:

Bleach 1000-Year Blood War: Looks amazing visually and since everything is finished they won't suffer from Bleach's biggest flaw of filler crap.

Blue Lock: Japan wants to develop the ULTIMATE STRIKER so they can win the World Cup! So they create an insane program full of basically psychopath teenage players and the whole thing is hilarious. Great shit.

Chainsaw Man: HE HAS A CHAINSAW FOR A HEAD AND CHAINSAWS FOR ARMS! This is so fucking good. @Brooklyn Zoo if this isn't on your watchlist add it!

Mob Psycho III: More adventures with our OP psychic. This show is just good fun.

Spy X Family: Letting it pile up but amazing show

My Hero Academia: same as Spy X Family

The Eminence In Shadow: Truck-kun strikes! A guy obsessed with training to fight evil gets reincarnated and basically convinces some people that there's a secret evil group just because he's weird but he doesn't realize it actually exists and so hijinks! seems amusing so far.

Reincarnated as a Sword: A different spin on the Isekai stuff, this time the character comes back as (shock here) a sword!

I Somehow Got Strong By Raising My Skills Related to Farming: Says it all on the tin. I don't know some of these concepts feel like they are just throwing shit at the wall. This is probably a drop but the first ep was amusing just for him throwing a carrot at a dragon and causing it to explode.

The Daily Life of the Immortal King 3: This is a Chinese anime about the most insanely OP "cultivator" (which I really don't understand what that is but sort of a magic/philosopher guy?) who because of that can't show his emotions right and he goes to school and of course the school is full of wacky people etc. It's a weird little show and it's never great but it's fine and I like seeing China's take on this kind of thing.

Uzaki-Chan Wants to Hang-out: second season of afun college show. The guy is a loner and the girl is a huge extrovert who constantly tries to bring him out of his shell. Obviously they both have feelings for each otehr but neither realize/can admit it. lots of comedy and fun.

Beast Tamer: a party of "heroes" kick out the member they consider to be useless not realizing he actually does the most essential work. He then goes on a bunch of adventures with his new friends while they continue to fail miserably and become more and more douchey. This is alright but nothing amazing. I like the premise but it was already done better.

I'm the Villianess...: haven't started this but it's another show where a girl wakes up in a worl;d based on a dating sim and realizes she's now the villianess and sets out to reverse things. I'd expect to see a lot more of these based on how popular the first couple have been

Reaction score
Ok now that've watched at least one episode of most things, here's waht I'm watching this season:

Bleach 1000-Year Blood War: Looks amazing visually and since everything is finished they won't suffer from Bleach's biggest flaw of filler crap.

Blue Lock: Japan wants to develop the ULTIMATE STRIKER so they can win the World Cup! So they create an insane program full of basically psychopath teenage players and the whole thing is hilarious. Great shit.

Chainsaw Man: HE HAS A CHAINSAW FOR A HEAD AND CHAINSAWS FOR ARMS! This is so fucking good. @Brooklyn Zoo if this isn't on your watchlist add it!

Mob Psycho III: More adventures with our OP psychic. This show is just good fun.

Spy X Family: Letting it pile up but amazing show

My Hero Academia: same as Spy X Family

The Eminence In Shadow: Truck-kun strikes! A guy obsessed with training to fight evil gets reincarnated and basically convinces some people that there's a secret evil group just because he's weird but he doesn't realize it actually exists and so hijinks! seems amusing so far.

Reincarnated as a Sword: A different spin on the Isekai stuff, this time the character comes back as (shock here) a sword!

I Somehow Got Strong By Raising My Skills Related to Farming: Says it all on the tin. I don't know some of these concepts feel like they are just throwing shit at the wall. This is probably a drop but the first ep was amusing just for him throwing a carrot at a dragon and causing it to explode.

The Daily Life of the Immortal King 3: This is a Chinese anime about the most insanely OP "cultivator" (which I really don't understand what that is but sort of a magic/philosopher guy?) who because of that can't show his emotions right and he goes to school and of course the school is full of wacky people etc. It's a weird little show and it's never great but it's fine and I like seeing China's take on this kind of thing.

Uzaki-Chan Wants to Hang-out: second season of afun college show. The guy is a loner and the girl is a huge extrovert who constantly tries to bring him out of his shell. Obviously they both have feelings for each otehr but neither realize/can admit it. lots of comedy and fun.

Beast Tamer: a party of "heroes" kick out the member they consider to be useless not realizing he actually does the most essential work. He then goes on a bunch of adventures with his new friends while they continue to fail miserably and become more and more douchey. This is alright but nothing amazing. I like the premise but it was already done better.

I'm the Villianess...: haven't started this but it's another show where a girl wakes up in a worl;d based on a dating sim and realizes she's now the villianess and sets out to reverse things. I'd expect to see a lot more of these based on how popular the first couple have been

Started Chainsaw Man. Like it so far. The animation looks nice, I think more so when there's no action.

My Hero off to a solid start, but I kind of what to let it pile up before binging.

Gonna get started on Spy Family soon. We enjoyed the first season. The main character reminds me of Alain Delon in "Le Samourai."

We are conflicted about Mob Psycho cause we love it, but also love the dubs and they replaced the dude who does Mob's voice cause he wanted his new contract to be under a union contract. So that sucks. We'll watch it eventually.

I'll check out some of the other stuff you mentioned. Have also been watching "Ranking of Kings." Chill show. Got some light Game of Thrones vibes

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally saw the Demon Slayer: Mugen Train movie (CrunchyRoll bafflingly did not make it easy to find the Sub version which was listed as like 37 - TitleScrollHere. Liked it a lot.

Also caught up on MHA, which continues to be a great show. Still have 4 episodes of Devil is a Part-Timer S2 to bang out to finish that.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are a TON of shows this season. Might be one of the busiest seasons yet for pure quantity of shows. Not counting stuff that's cotinuining like One Piece, Eminence in Shadow, Blue Luck etc, there's still around 20 shows I'm watching and I haven't even started Vinland Shadow or a couple others. Crazy times.

Second seasons and remakes:
Don't Toy with Me Miss Nagatoro 2nd Attack-this is amusing enough but its been done better.

Bofori: I don't want to get Hurt... 2- theres so many of these people playing rpg games shows.

Misfit of Demon king Academy 2- the ultimate overpowered reborn anime that everyone is remaking. Amusing in just how insanely OP he is and silly it gets. It has to be a parody right?

Tokyo Revengers Christmas Showdown- I love this show. Just great stuff.

Trigun Stampede- The CGI actually looks fantastic! They're going a very different route with this than the first anime. Way less comedy and...no Millie?! It's still feeling very true to the spirit of the original though and I'm enjoying it.

Comedy!
Tomo-chan Is a Girl!- Tomboy Tomo wants her best friend to fall for her but he seemingly can't seem to accept she is a girl. This is actually much funnier than the premise sounds.

Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible- Another of those teasing schoolmate shows. funny so far.

Buddy Daddies- 2 assassins adopt a little kid and hijinks. has a spy x family vibe so far. @HarleyQuinn will like this i think.

Shows that somehow got made that aren't isekei or near-isekei
High Card- 52 cards all with different powers and everyone is out to get them.

NieR:Automata Ver1.1a- based on the video game

Kaina of the Great Snow Sea- this looks interesting based on one ep. people live on top of some kind of sky dome and also on a frozen planet and it seems like its earth. sort of a Nausicaa vibe.

Giant Beasts of Ars- big monsters, people turn into weapons, its whatever.

Revenger- set in feudal japan they go aroudn killing people who need killing while looking cool. nothing special and might drop it.

Isekei or might as well be
Handyman Saitou in another world- what it says on the tin. He uses his handyman skills to help his party do shit. it's not bad.

Reborn to Master the Blade: From Hero-King to Extraordinary Squire- Heroking is reborn as a girl long after he's forgotten and sets out to live a new life. seems fun so far but we've all seen this many times.

The Reincarnation Of The Strongest Exorcist In Another World- again says it all in the name. japan really loves the insanely OP'd characters that never struggle.

The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World- he's super strong and all he wants to do is go to school for some reason and not have anyone know he's awesome so they all treat him like shit. sounds great.

Chillin' in My 30s after Getting Fired from the Demon King's Army- he gets fired because they all think he's a loser and turns out he's not! its alright but we've seen it before.

Ningen Fushin: Adventurers Who Don't Believe in Humanity Will Save the World- they all get betrayed in some way by their former comrades so they join together and start learning to work together slowly. This one is actually pretty good so far.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

high reccomend to this. I don't know how I missed it when it came out but its really worth watching. it's on Croll in english as well. I think you;ll like this @Brooklyn Zoo

I also reccomend Summertime Rendering. It's on Disney Plus in english if you have it