Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Crow - A retrospective

2GOLD

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was he super religious? Because I'm confused why someone who was super religious would be a) anywhere near a Hell train and b) petting a hound of hell.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Not that I could tell. He seemed more into spirituality than anything else.

I almost want a Crow: Dead Time adaptation. It was another O'Barr story, and I thought the plot itself was better than the original Crow comic, even if it lacked the mood and emotion of the original.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Laz said:
I may be in the minority here, but the movie is so much better than the original comic that it's ridiculous. There were maybe only one or two aspects of the comic I preferred (the "dream sequence" parts with the skeleton cowboy and the horse, and the "can I have my shoes now" revenge), and the movie just nailed it out of the park by being faithful to its source but straying from it only to enhance the story.
They're so utterly different in tone that, despite being the exact same story, they're... well, not the same story. Like, compare King Lear with Kurosawa's Ran. Despite remaining surprisingly faithful to the general story of the source material, the adaptation runs off into very different territory. The book was certainly way more nihilistic than the movie, which seemed to at least hold out some sort of hope for happiness beyond the oblivious peace of the grave. The book was a hell of a lot more nasty with its violence and the generally scummy feeling of the setting, too.

If they went female, I'd probably want somebody with some better range than Summer, though. It may just be me, but she does absolutely nothing for me.
I wish I could make a snarling sound exactly like Cujo right now.

2GOLD said:
Eric finds out he has no reflection in the mirror so he paints his face so he can see it.
That's actually kind of a cool idea. Kind of. If it weren't buried in a pile of bad ideas, which it certainly is.

I have no idea how close any of that is to the graphic novel
It ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport.

2GOLD said:
Was he super religious?
Not even remotely. He was more of a literary guy than anything, he was constantly making references or allusions to various semi-obscure philosophical texts.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Just wanted to bump this to say that it looks like the remake is all but dead. Jason Momoa was confirmed for Eric Draven for the longest time and seemed excited about it. He even talked it up in interviews and did a little pre-production but there was too much inactivity so he walked. Colin Hardy (The Nun) is out as director as well.

I'm fine with this never been made.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am too. The first movie is fantastic and totally holds up, but it's so entrenched in the 90's that I can't see a modern version of The Crow working at all.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Project has been resurrected.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought that was implied. That's not a trailer for the remake (the 2022 should have tipped everyone off).

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Bill Skarsgard has that new b-grade actionfest coming out soon, Boy Kills World (w/ Famke Jansen and Sharlto Copley), so it'll be interesting to see how he hangs as a BAMF leading into this.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Wow, this looks like shit. Has a really Hollywood gloss about it which is just wrong. None of the darkness, grit, and atmosphere of the original. And the makeup is horrible and probably the worst of the series because of how lazy it is. I get that everyone has bad haircuts now, but they could've given Bill Skarsgaard a cooler haircut or let him grow it out.

And this is a criticism of the trailer more than the film, but they used a Post Malone song lol. Sums it all up. The original soundtrack had NIN, The Cure, STP, Pantera, RATM, Helmet, etc. Just awesome stuff.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm 50/50. I think Skarsgard's presence and charisma can carry this thing. It doesn't look great but it already looks better than most of the sequels.

I do appreciate how they recycled the trope of "all the villains unloading every single clip into him before revealing it had no effect" that they did in EVERY SINGLE film.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it looks worse than the sequels. It looks like a run of the mill movie, and it's lit like John Wick just like every action movie is these days. The sequels at least retained the look of the original. And Wicked Prayer is so bad it's good. I bet Iggy Pop's performance from The Crow: City Of Angels is better than anything in this movie.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it looks worse than the sequels. It looks like a run of the mill movie, and it's lit like John Wick just like every action movie is these days. The sequels at least retained the look of the original. And Wicked Prayer is so bad it's good. I bet Iggy Pop's performance from The Crow: City Of Angels is better than anything in this movie.
Eh, outside of a scene with Danny Trejo, I find "Wicked Prayer" to be so bad it's bad. It's also the only one that doesn't have it's own soundtrack (as in a lot of various artists contributing) and was only made so the Weinstein's could hold on to the rights. "City of Angels" I won't defend, but was also the result of Harvey Weinstein editing it to the point of barely being coherent, and "Salvation" is the most Nu Metal feeling one-the soundtrack, look of the film and Eric Mabius' haircut all scream "1999-2000".

As for this trailer? Meh, though I at least like the prospect of getting to see Machine Gun Kelly being brutally murdered on screen.

So much for my break from the board!

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
To each their own. Furlong in the makeup and Dennis Hopper's performance make me laugh so much.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
This was kind of the vibe I was getting... it just seemed like an action revenge flick trying to follow the John Wick path, which is fine if it wasn't under the title that it's under. Also, the original was just drenched in rain and harsh light to the point it was almost its own character. This literally is giving me John Wick 3/4 vibes with its lighting and location usage.

Maybe it's just me but I'm also getting a feeling it will be one of those movies where he gets his revenge on most of the baddies before randomly putting on the facepaint before the climactic end fight with 20-25 minutes left in the movie.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Yeah. Fuck that guy for making one of the most fondly remembered movies of its era and being upset that a remake that looks like dogshit is coming out. What a dick.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. Fuck that guy for making one of the most fondly remembered movies of its era and being upset that a remake that looks like dogshit is coming out. What a dick.
I kinda get what Epic's saying. Just because Brandon Lee died making the movie, which was the director's point/argument, doesn't mean it can't be remade or that any remake/sequel is shitting on Lee's "legacy" through the original movie. There have been Batman sequels/reboots after The Dark Knight and nobody's crying about how it's ruining Heath's "legacy" because he died while making The Dark Knight (ignoring the actual movie quality).

Lee's legacy will always be tied to the original and the original is still good enough to stand on its own. A remake isn't gonna suddenly invalidate that.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I think looking back at how long these attempts have been made to do a remake, my response to this trailer is.....this is the best they could come up with after all this time? Certainly riffing John Wick, and the trailer gave away so much stuff that would pack a punch otherwise....makes me feel we saw a "best of" reel of this film already, so that's not a good sign. In other words, I pretty much hated what I saw here.

But the original film, much like the original's director.....holds something deep to me, not only because of the final Brandon Lee performance, but there is just a special feeling with this film that made me never want to see the remake idea hit the light of day. If you want to do a whole new sequel with some remake elements from the entire franchise go ahead but I just have no desire to see a retelling of the initial story.

I'm just so beyond sour and tired of any remakes coming through really, a few decades of these garbage attempts and you would think studios would just give up trying remakes and if they want to revamp or reignite a franchise, just fucking sequalize it or in the very least, an essential alternate part 2 that doesn't fuck with the original and just builds from it to honor it.