Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Crow - A retrospective

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score

Reviews aren't in yet (expecting the worst) but I do appreciate that they at least tried to recreate the magic of the original soundtrack which is probably my all time favorite. Some decent stuff although it's tough to top Cure, NIN, Rage, Pantera, Rollins Band, and STP.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score

Reviews aren't in yet (expecting the worst) but I do appreciate that they at least tried to recreate the magic of the original soundtrack which is probably my all time favorite. Some decent stuff although it's tough to top Cure, NIN, Rage, Pantera, Rollins Band, and STP.
Quick thoughts

1.) The Rollins Band and Pantera covers are inferior to the originals, especially the Rollins one

2.) Good to see Joy Division there instead of a cover

3) They spelled Gary Numan wrong (update: they fixed it)

4.) Wish they had included Iggy Pop in the soundtrack, since his music is a part of the graphic novel

Last edited:

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Pantera cover still kicks ass imo. It does it's job for the soundtrack and adds some punch to it. The Poison Idea original is a classic though. That soundtrack basically formed my musical taste. "Burn" is still one of my favorite songs by The Cure.
Hell yeah. I love the Poison Idea original, but I think the Pantera cover is actually better by the simple fact that Dime, Rex, and Vinnie were better musicians than anyone in Poison Idea, and their cover didn't take any of the attitude from it.

"Burn" is my favorite Cure song, with "Disintegration" a close second. I'm a pretty basic bitch when it comes to post-punk/new wave bands.

Track listing looks solid, overall. I'm hoping we get a glorious mess of a movie with this unwanted remake, but at least they're keeping the soundtrack theme of the franchise alive and not defaulting to whatever is hot at the moment.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I was always a sucker for the NIN cover of "Dead Souls" and it was an early introduction to NIN for me beyond their bigger hits at the time. I do like that the original soundtrack had a track from The Jesus & Mary Chain.

Glad they're at least pushing/promoting the album ahead of time. Hopefully some of the songs can hit the same way.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
So I actually saw this over the weekend so you don't have to! (Trademark Doug Walker).

I respect the fact that it at least tries to be something new and some of the ideas probably would have played out pretty decently with a better script but it misses on so many levels overall. Honestly makes me appreciate the original more. Maybe I'll post some spoilers later.

Hollywood never learns.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Danny Huston can be good and he can be terrifying (30 Days Of Night), but his villain was so lame. All the villains were nothing. The original had so many great character actors as the group of villains (Michael Wincott, David Patrick Kelly, Bai Ling, Tony Todd, Michael Massee, Jon Polito). The soundtrack did suck, but I was expecting much worse. Appreciated the Joy Division.

Bill Skarsgaard was blah here. Really like the guy usually, but this felt like a paycheck role. FKA Twigs wasn't much better. I bought the 2 minutes of the Eric/Shelly relationship flashbacks from the original more than the hour plus we spent time with these two boring people. It doesn't help that Skarsgaard doesn't have any of the warmth that Brandon Lee brought to the Draven character.

I'd go around 4.5/10. The last twenty minutes elevate it from a 3 and that opera scene is pretty badass. The gore was way more insane than I was expecting as well.