Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Muppets

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I echo the sentiments here in that this was one of the years best. It was far more heavy hearted than I expected (I also got a bit swelled up at times) and more well written than it had any right to be really.

It was a fun trip going back and watching the old Muppet movies too leading to this one. There was small nods to the other films here and there which I really got a kick out of.

Writing was a perfect mix of Muppet homage/fanboyism stuff with a well put together story to reinvent the franchise.

What gets me is how/why did Frank Oz abolish this film? Perhaps a knock on his ego by having a storyline in the film that they were once popular but no longer were? I heard alot of others in the crew here and there didnt even want their name attached to the film. WTF?!

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I read that Oz was trying to get a muppet relaunch greenlit for himself before they went with Segal. So that explains him.

The others were making assumptions from a trailer that the movie was all fart jokes.

The egg is likely pretty well on their face considering the universal acclaim from both reviewers and moviegoers.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
alkeiper said:
Best feature of the movie: OMG is Amy Adams fuckable.

Yea, I love Amy Adams.

Frank Oz is the same guy who had no problem doing the Star Wars prequels.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
That would be funny if he now would get a chance to do that movie he wanted to do in the first place if the franchise takes off here again. Or if Disney will tell him to fuck off since he didn't support this one.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I don't blame Oz. I liked this movie. But to me, it's a bit like doing another Marx Brothers movie. You can find people to portray the characters, but it's just not the same. The original creative force of the show is gone.

For reviving the Muppets, I dunno. The Muppets really ceased regular production long before Jim Henson's death. They became other projects. Fraggle Rock, Dark Crystal, Dinosaurs, etc. They're entertaining. But there's really nowhere for the characters to go. I'd settle for FINALLY getting seasons 4-5 on dvd.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I had seen an interview, I thiink with Nick Stoller talking about how Disney wanted them to pump out a sequel by next summer but they wanted to do it right.

Guess Disney got their way, hopefully it works out well.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think after John Carter bombed so bad, a Muppets sequel is the type of low-medium risk, medium-high reward type project they're looking for to recoup some of their losses.

Captain of Outer Space

reaching for the sky just to surrender
Reaction score
Jerry Nelson, the voice of The Count, Robin, "PIGS... IN... SPAAAAACE!" and countless others passed away yesterday. Glad he was able to make it in to the reboot, even if it was just a cameo voiceover.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Decided to try to hit a late showing of Muppets:Most Wanted in less crowded theater.

Empty theatre except with 5 minutes before 10 PM show, someone brings their parade of three year olds...

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Found this effort mostly dull. My opinion might not matter much, but I didn't hear much laughter from the children in the theatre either.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
It wasn't as good as the one a couple years ago (and they say so early on) but I enjoyed it. Like with other Muppet movies, stuff that will go over the heads of some kids and even a few reference things that are meant more for fans than kids.

I did find it so odd that the first and last song referenced the original planned title for this film (It's the Muppets...Again!) or to have the new Most Wanted title. Not sure when the title change call was made.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had a few genuine laughs. I'll give it a few more weeks to see where it goes.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
LOL'd at Fozzie's "bear looking for love" online dating profile getting the... wrong replies.

"Featuring Electric Mayhem! Doctor Teeth and The! .....electric mayhem."

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I got enough chuckles and it was entertaining, so i'll continue to watch.

Scooter trying to give Elizabeth Banks a studio tour and sad ol' Tom Bergeron were the highlights.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Brodypedia said:
Show was okay. The voices are off.

These thoughts kinda echoed mine. I know the voices change as performers get older or are switched out but a couple characters were extra noticeably different. I will give it the initial show benefit of the doubt but I, maybe wrongfully, went in with high expectations as a Muppet geek.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, it's entirely the story premise of 30 Rock combined with the visual/narrative style of The Office. Which is honestly a little depressing; the Muppets at their best were always trendsetters, and this felt like they were trying way too damn hard to rip off what had been popular over the last decade.

There were still nice moments, of course. Scooter and Elizabeth Banks getting into a passive-aggressive argument which eventually escalated into a fistfight (all while behind the wheel of a moving golf-cart) was awfully cute. And I must admit to letting slip a total fanboy squee when I saw that Fozzy's girlfriend was played by Riki Fucking Lindhome of all people. But overall... well, it's their first episode, hardly any show ever knocks it out of the park from the get-go.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I noticed she was in the episode of Fresh Off the Boat (great as usual) that followed Muppets, so good double duty for her.

I kept wondering where Walter was and how this followed the plot of the Muppets movie (never saw the sequel). Am I not supposed to be doing that?

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I only caught the back half because I didn't realize it was on at 8, but Janice was my highlight. "I know, they never changed it." and Animal's solemn "women...women..."

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had low expectations for this for a lot of reasons and it marginally surpassed them. Sad Tom Bergeron was the surprise highlight. Pleasantly surprised to see Scooter get so much time. Didn't really care for the Fozzy subplot. Would've liked to see more of Gonzo. Overall, I'll say a B-. And as Jingy said, you can't put too much into pilot episodes but I'll set the DVR for Episode 2 at least.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I remember watching re-runs (just a little before my time) and it always seemed like a carnival with Kermit as the ring master. I've only seen the commercials and heard impressions, but it seems to have none of that.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Some wrasslin' podcaster once compared the Muppet Show to Memphis wrestling with Lance Russell just trying to have a nice show and having all these wack jobs running amuck.

I like the new show the more I think about it. Way better than how I remember Muppets Tonight being.

CBright7831

2016/17 Poster of the Year
Reaction score
Flik said:
I remember watching re-runs (just a little before my time) and it always seemed like a carnival with Kermit as the ring master. I've only seen the commercials and heard impressions, but it seems to have none of that.

I watched re-runs on Nickelodeon back in the mid-90's. My favorite episode was the Star Wars episode for obvious reasons. "Who's your tailor?" Is this the first time that The Muppets have cursed?