Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE...SENT TO DRAIN

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
geniusMoment said:
Not sure Courtney has the voice or drive anymore. I don't think she's done anything live in a very long time. I could see someone like Garbage opening. Not sure if they would be big enough to help a ton though.

Courtney would jump at the chance to play arenas. She played a bunch of shows opening for Lana Del Ray like 3 years ago, promoting nothing...just playing old Hole songs and weird covers.

I think Garbage would be cool. It's not even like "oh man GARBAGE (or whoever) will be there? Now I gotta go!" It's just like "oh wow two bands I liked when I was 14! This could be cool!" They've been doing 80s package tours for years and 90s ones are springing up all the time and they do money. They should either take a cue from those or just do 5,000 seat theaters like Janet Jackson did a few years ago.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
geniusMoment said:
They really do have a surprising number of good songs though.

Soma
Mayonaise
Today
Tonight, Tonight
Zero
Disarm
Tarantula
Cherub Rock
Ava Adore

Those are 11 just off the top of my head. I also like Perfect, but mainly because the music video shows what happened to the kids from the music video of 1979 as adults.

Also, 1979 is probably my favorite music video ever. So that adds something.

I'd add to that list:

Siva
Rhinoceros
Quiet
Hummer
Rocket
Geek U.S.A.
Mellon Collie...
Here is No Why
Bullet...
Galapagos
Porcelina
Bodies
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
To Sheila
Perfect
Stand Inside Your Love

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
CookieMueller said:
I think Garbage would be cool. It's not even like "oh man GARBAGE (or whoever) will be there? Now I gotta go!" It's just like "oh wow two bands I liked when I was 14! This could be cool!" They've been doing 80s package tours for years and 90s ones are springing up all the time and they do money. They should either take a cue from those or just do 5,000 seat theaters like Janet Jackson did a few years ago.

This is pretty much what the Manson tour was three years ago, and while I'm pretty bad at estimating attendance, I'd guess there were at least 10,000 people there. I've long thought that the Pumpkins could draw pretty well in a package tour setting like that, hitting the sheds (that's what those in the biz call amphitheaters ;)) every couple of summers with a co-headliner like Bush or Alice in Chains or pre-suicide Soundgarden, some 90s band with a lot of hits that is also at the theater level on their own, but 2015 was the only time they've done it. I just don't know that there's a big difference in the commercial potential of the current Pumpkins vs the 2015 Iha-less Pumpkins.

If I go, I'm waiting til the last minute to buy my ticket. This shit is not going to sell out and I expect prices to drop, even in NYC.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Billy's voice still sounds close to what it used to be in his heyday, so I think it's a worthwhile show. A lot of these old acts have singers that lost the voice.

I don't know if Iha will be a significant draw for the masses, but for real fans of the band, it should be a big deal. In that sense, considering that's who the nostalgic tour is for, I think it will help with tickets. No D'arcy is p. shitty, but hearing the guy who created the riffs on Soma and Rhinoceros play them live is a big deal imo.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://www.spin.com/2018/02/billy-corgan-titles-new-smashing-pumpkins-songs/

Looks like this isn't just a nostalgia act, eight new tracks BAH GAWD

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Don't know what they expected though I'm slightly shocked that Seattle is selling poorly.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/03/billy-corgan-on-darcy-wretzky-that-bridge-is-now-burned-forever/

"Elsewhere in the interview, Corgan confirmed the existence of eight new songs produced by Rubin, which will be released as a pair of EPs later this year."

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
It came out as a single album called "Shiny and Oh So Bright Vol. 1" but I never got around to listening to it. The new song they played in Holmdel wasn't that good.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Here is a review of that album:

Burned Out On Audio Cocaine
Imagine it’s 1993 and your cool friend just picked up this record, you’ve heard maybe 2 of this bands songs on the radio and this album completely blows you out the fucking water. This album is the soundtrack to the entire year, maybe even the entire early 90’s

It’s 2018 and you hear that this band that has broken up is forming again, you’re all like “Man I love that band, I would love to see them” So you see them, it’s 3 full fucking hours of just those hits, they play their hummers, the good old cherub rock, you cry your boomer heart out with Mayonaise, then for an encore they pull out this new song? “Huh” you exclaim. It’s alright, heck it’s actually kind of good.

Fast forward 5ish months
This record comes out
It’s 30 minutes of a chimpanze trying to give itself a full on blow job
Then the monkey bites and chomps it’s dick off
It’s bleeding everywhere

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It legit does suck that they get Eric Avery back just in time for Dave Navarro to say he's still sick. :(

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Though the bump was going to be about Billy joining Based Bill Maher’s podcast network.