Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Day in Pro Wrestling History

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Barr's past wouldn't have made him unsignable as both companies were signing people with all types of shady pasts at least in the 90s.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well I don't think the WWF would have ever signed Barr because of his size. At least not in 94/95. And he had already burned bridges in .WCW.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Barr passed away before most wrestling fans knew of his past. These days he's still generally known as the guy who gave Eddie the frog splash and someone Jericho looked up to. Him raping a girl is barely brought up these days.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He'd make money in Mexico forever so any stint in the states period wouldn't be long. But man, ECW running Los Gringos Locos vs Benoit and Malenko...

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
...until we get Los Gringos Locos vs. The Gangstas

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

The Jobber round of the Crockett Cup took place. The Mulkeys should have gotten one more fluke win Dusty!

The Road Warriors TEAMED with Public Enemy!?!?

http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wcw/nitro-4285.html

Lots of old guys wrestling on Nitro. I think this would be the Russo/Bischoff reboot show.

HHH continues his brief run of great matches as he lets Taka take him to the limit. Bull Buchanan headlines.

Jeff Hardy beats HHH for the IC belt. Big Show teams with Taka and Funaki. Is this the infamous garbled "goofs" interview where many thought show called them a racist slur?

. http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wwe/monday-night-raw-2682.html

YUCK

http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wwe/smackdown-taping-2881.html

Mr Kennedy wrestles a midget and a Zombie.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

DATELINE: APRIL 11, 1963 – WASHINGTON, DC

Buddy Rogers is awarded the inaugural World Championship
ir
of the World Wide Wrestling Federation at a Capitol Sports TV taping, after defeating Antonino Rocca in a ‘mysterious’ tournament in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.

---
26 years ago today
in Dallas, Texas, The Rock ‘n Roll Express defeated Dick Murdoch & Randy Rhodes in the finals of a one-night tournament to win the NWA World Tag Team Championship.

--
In 1997, Leon White, aka Vader, is detained in Kuwait after he attacks Bossam Al Otham, the host of Good Morning Kuwait.

WCW presented Spring Stampede from the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, Washington. 17,690 were in attendance, with 255,000 homes watching on PPV.
Juventud Guerrera defeated Blitzkrieg.
  • Bam Bam Bigelow defeated Hak in a hardcore match.
  • Scotty Riggs defeated Mikey Whipwreck.
  • Konnan defeated Disco Inferno.
  • Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Kidman to retain the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship.
  • Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko defeated Perry Saturn & Raven.
  • Scott Steiner defeated Booker T to win the vacated WCW United States Championship.
  • Goldberg defeated Kevin Nash.
  • Diamond Dallas Page defeated Hollywood Hogan, Ric Flair, and Sting in a fatal four-way match to win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Randy Savage was the special referee.
---
22 years ago: SD! had the one and only appearance of Caryn "Muffy" Mower, whose gimmick was to be the personal trainer of Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley.
--
Larry Sweeney died 10 years ago.
--
Happy heavenly birthday to Harley Race.
--

The crummy UK Rampage 93 went down
--

Magnum TA made his first appearance since his accident as he came to the side of the Super Powers prior to the finals of the Crockett Cup.
--
In 1988 Jerry Lawler headlined Memphis vs Dory Funk Jr. I had no clue he was there at that time. Mike Graham was on the undercard, so maybe there was some sort of deal being discussed to use Memphis talent for whatever indy was going to try and run Florida since CWF was done and PWF wasn't a thing yet IIRC.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like WWE’s failure to capitalize on the popularity craze in Europe in the early ‘90s is kind of an unspoken part of their crash in popularity. They were back to running Royal Albert Hall within a year and a half of SummerSlam ‘92 cause of televised glorified B house show cards like that Rampage show.

I don’t think WWE realized “Oh shit. The UK is actually a really good market!” Until the One Night Only PPV. Then they did their best to destroy their popularity with that card but that is discussion for the Fall.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
41 years ago today in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) defeated Ivan Putski and Tito Santana to win the WWF Tag Team Championship.

--
Mike Von Erich took his own life in 1987. Thinking of you today, Kevin.
--

24 years ago today at New Japan Pro Wrestling's Battle Formation '97, Riki Choshu and Kensuke Sasaki defeated Tatsumi Fujinami and Kengo Kimura to win the IWGP Tag Team Championship.

In the show's main event, 1992 Olympic silver medalist in judo Naoya Ogawa defeated IWGP Heavyweight Champion Shinya Hashimoto by knockout. It was Ogawa's professional wrestling debut. About 60,500 were in attendance for the event, one of the largest crowds in professional wrestling history.
--
In 1999, the Godfather beat Goldust for the IC title.
--

The New Age Outlaws exploded on a TNA PPV, while Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle made us drool with the potential of their awesomeness.
--

Diesel upset(?) Razor Ramon for the IC title. I am pretty certain I missed this episode at the time for whatever reason. (Stupid Flanders.)
--

Barbarian vs Tank Abbott! Rhodes vs Funk! Plus former Horsemen vs Kidman, Booker and Vampiro.
--

Fit FINLAY~! vs Big Poppa Pump!
--

WWE ends Nitro's streak by putting Vince in the ring.
--

ECW finally got on PPV.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, if they brought him in even earlier they could've done Owen vs Muta, Eddie Gilbert, Terry Funk, even Norman who he'd worked with before in Stampede. And he would've had more to work with just a year later.

1991 wasn't the best year of all times for WCW.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Today is also the anniversary of WWF breaking Nitro's 83 week win streak during the Monday Night Wars with Vince's "wrestling debut".

(Also I always thought WCW's streak begun earlier than June 1996. )

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
Someday I'll set time aside and watch those WWA shows in full. They always sounded perfectly fine given the era.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I ordered 2 or 3 of them and really the only bad one was the live one from Vegas. Unfortunately for them, that was the one that most people watched. But the Australian/European shows were perfectly fine 2002 wrestling shows. Probably slighrtly better than the earliest TNA shows tbh. And I was able to warn the 2003 IWC that Nathan Jones wasn't very good before he showed up in WWE!

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
If anything, I feel like WWA should get a bit of credit for providing an alternative in the few months between WCW's sale and TNA starting up.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I didn't know how much I wanted an alternative until there wasn't one and wanted WWA to at least fill a void. Before TNA scooped their roster more or less I really wanted them to succeed. I had NO faith in TNA working, though.

If they didn't make it I wanted MECW to because of the sheer balls to run the ECW Arena in 2002 with Bagwell on the card. I think it went poorly.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vader fought Necro Butcher on a legends card.

WCW signs 911, then makes sure he never draws a dime by having their Giant squash him on live TV in Philly.

1989 Memphis, Tennessee:
- Jerry Lawler defeated Kerry Von Erich to win the WCWA World Heavyweight Title (Lawler unified the WCWA title with his AWA title to become the Unified World Heavyweight Champion, the top title in the USWA)

On April 14th, 1993, World Championship Wrestling held a card at the Paramount Theater. Unfortunately for them, the show was nowhere near a sell out. The show drew around 2,900 paid, with an additional 600 tickets that were comps. The top Ticket prices were 25 dollars for ringside seats and the cheapest being 11 dollars. In total, WCW drew a gate of about $47,000. The total would be high for WCW around that time, but management was looking to make much more than that in New York.

The complete card and results were as follows:

Johnny B. Badd defeated Tex Slazenger.
– Maxx Payne defeated Steven Regal.
– Chris Benoit and Ron Simmons fought to a double countout.
– Van Hammer defeated Vinnie Vegas.
– NWA and WCW World Tag Team Champions The Hollywood Blonds (Steve Austin and Brian Pillman) defeated Marcus Alexander Bagwell and 2 Cold Scorpio to retain the titles.
– Rick Rude defeated Cactus Jack.
– WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Dustin Rhodes defeated WCW World Television Champion Paul Orndorff by disqualification to retain his title.
– NWA World Heavyweight Champion Barry Windham defeated Ricky Steamboat to retain the title.
– Sting defeated WCW World Heavyweight Champion Big Van Vader by disqualification. Vader retained the title.

As disappointing as the gate was for WCW, the fan reaction to the show was much worse. After a couple of sub par matches, it was announced that Ric Flair who was heavily advertised for this event in an interview segment was not going to make it. The reasoning was that Flair had flight issues and couldn’t get out of Charlotte, North Carolina. Once that announcement was made, the fans in attendance quickly turned on the show and began chants like “We Want Flair” and “We Want Refunds.” All the babyface wrestlers were booed heavily and in some cases, a few fans exited the building while matches were still taking place.

Former AWA promoter and a big enemy of Vince McMahon…Verne Gagne was invited to the show and sat ringside while the fans ripped apart the show.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That dumb Steiner-Nowinski debate is a dumb reminder of the mob mentality after 9/11. You know things are in terrible shape when WWE decides it's a good time to do political commentary. I feel like they also had a Barack Obama impersonator Vs Hillary Clinton impersonator match on RAW in Spring of '08 that was so problematic that they had to invite the actual Obama & Clinton on the next week. According to Cawthon's, we'll get that Barack Vs Hillary match next week.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Surprised @BruiserBrody didn’t bring up the most notable demonstration of MSG’s ban on masked wrestlers. Is wearing a mask really worse than looking like you’re wearing a pair of whitey tighties on your head, New York State Athletic Commission????

also my man Greg Valentine was 24 here and still looked like a 50 year old.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like ECW is the ONLY place where 911 would have drawn money and even there it was very flukey.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I don't even think he would have drawn there, tbh. Seemed like just the perfect guy to come in, do the one move he was good at, and leave.

EDIT: Also, if I ever have the book for a promotion, I am totally going to find the one person on the roster that can't do much beyond one or two moves and book them similarly. Fucking brilliant schtick that was.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd like to see the alternate universe where 911 in WCW draws money.
Point was more that Heyman booked him so well that he was a break out "star" in 1994. He was over in the ECW world.

WCW gave him like 150K a year and then made sure to hide all his strengths by putting him in the ring with somebody taller, then had him lose in seconds to his own finisher. They didn't even build him up to the WCW audience by smashing a few of the jabronis, they just used him as a tackling dummy.
At least Vince would have watched him have heatless squashes in 1996 for a while and/or kept him as a bodyguard to get an aura so when he got in the ring against a HBK or someone on a random RAW main event, the fans may have cared a smidgen.
He could be a big body to work IYH with Taker for a month.
Once he's exposed as having the workrate of Ron Harris, then maybe job him into oblivion.