Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Day in Pro Wrestling History

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
1925 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:- Stainslaus Zbyszko defeated Wayne Munn to win the World Heavyweight Title

1963 - NWA World Heavyweight Champion Lou Thesz defeated "Jersey" Joe Walcott in the fifth round of a wrestler vs. boxer match

1985 Memphis, Tennessee- Southern Champ Randy Savage pinned Nick Bockwinkel

1991 WWF Saturday Night's Main Event: Omaha, Nebraska:
- The Ultimate Warrior defeated Sgt. Slaughter by disqualification
- WWF Tag Team Champions The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs and Jerry Sags) defeated The Bushwhackers (Butch and Luke) to retain the title
- Ted DiBiase (with Sensational Sherri) and Bret Hart fought to a double-countout
- The Mountie (with Jimmy Hart) pinned Tito Santana
- WWF Intercontinental Champion Mr. Perfect won a 20-man battle royal

1995: ECW Hostile City Showdown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
- Mikey Whipwreck pinned Stevie Richards (with Raven)
- Tsubo Genjin pinned Tony Stetson
- Ian Rotten pinned Axl Rotten in a Bad Breed Death match
- Tommy Dreamer fought Raven (with Beulah McGillicutty and Stevie Richards) to a no-contest
- ECW World Television Champion Eddie Guerrero fought Dean Malenko to a 30-minute time-limit draw to retain the title
- The Sandman pinned ECW World Heavyweight Champion Shane Douglas (with Woman) to win the title Post-match, Douglas put on a Monday Night RAW shirt and left through the crowd.

1996 Savio Vega defeated WWF Intercontinental Champion Goldust (with Marlena) to win the title (WWF President Gorilla Monsoon held up the title and scheduled a rematch the following week)

1996 – Brian Pillman was severely injured after falling asleep while driving his Hummer H1 in Kentucky & driving into a tree trunk, flipping the vehicle. He was in a coma for a week and suffered a shattered ankle, forcing doctors to fuse it together in a fixed position.

1996 on Monday Nitro from Charleston, West Virginia WCW World Television Champion Lex Luger and Sting (together the WCW World Tag Team Champions) defeated WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair and The Giant by disqualification. Although all three championships were on the line, no titles changed hands with the result.

2001 Tokyo, Japan:- Mitsuharu Misawa defeated Yoshihiro Takayama in the finals of a 16-man tournament to become Pro Wrestling NOAH's first GHC Heavyweight Champion

2007 TNA Lockdown: St. Charles, Missouri:
- Team 3D defeated NWA World Tag Team Champions The Latin American Exchange to win the title
- TNA X Division Champion Chris Sabin defeated Sonjay Dutt, Jay Lethal (with Kevin Nash), Shark Boy and Alex Shelley in an Escape match to retain the title
- Robert Roode (with Ms. Brooks and Eric Young) pinned Petey Williams
- Gail Kim pinned Jackie Moore
- Senshi pinned Austin Starr
- James Storm pinned Chris Harris in a blindfold match
- Christopher Daniels pinned Jerry Lynn
- Team Angle (Kurt Angle, Jeff Jarrett, Rhino, Samoa Joe and Sting) defeated Team Cage (NWA World Heavyweight Champion Christian Cage, Abyss (with James Mitchell), Scott Steiner, A.J. Styles and Tomko) in a Lethal Lockdown match

2008 – WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair was celebrated in a Congressional speech made in the House of Representatives by Rep. Sue Myrick of North Carolina, who spoke of Flair’s career & his importance to Charlotte

2012 TNA Lockdown: Nashville, Tennessee:
- Lethal Lockdown Match: Garett Bischoff & AJ Styles & Rob Van Dam & Mr. Anderson & TNA X-Division champ Austin Aries
defeated Eric Bischoff & Gunner & Bully Ray & Kazarian & Christopher Daniels
- TNA Tag Team champions Samoa Joe & Magnus defeated The Motor City Machineguns to retain the titles
- TNA TV champion Devon defeated Robbie E to retain the title
- TNA Knockouts champion Gail Kim defeated Velvet Sky to retain the title
- Crimson defeated Matt Morgan
- Jeff Hardy defeated Kurt Angle
- TNA champion Bobby Roode defeated James Storm to retain the title

2020 – As a result of grand scale format changes brought about by the COVID-19 global pandemic, WWE decided to make their male and female Money In The Bank matches cinematic style contests taped at Titan Towers (WWE HQ) in Stamford, Connecticut. Whilst the matches were taped largely separately, they were presented as one interlocked match. The two briefcases were suspended from rigging on the roof of the building and competitors had to work their way from the ground floor of the building to secure victory. The women’s contract was won by Asuka in a contest also including Dana Brooke, Nia Jax, Shayna Baszler, Carmella and Lacey Evans. Otis was victorious on the men’s side over Aleister Black, Daniel Bryan, King Corbin, Rey Mysterio and AJ Styles.

Happy Birthday Mike Tenay!! (1954)

Last edited:

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Happy Heavenly Birthday to George Steele! (1937)

Howard Finkel died one year ago. :(

1977 Milwaukee, Wisconsin: Verne Gagne & the Crusher beat AWA Tag Team Champions Blackjack Lanza & Bobby Duncum (Bob Backlund was special referee, No title change, illegal man being pinned)

1978 Macon, Georgia:
- Dusty Rhodes beat Stan Hansen
- Mr Wrestling II beat AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel dq
- Ole Anderson & Lars Anderson beat Rocky Johnson & Adrian Adonis (sub Wahoo McDaniel)
- Abdullah The Butcher beat Tommy Rich

This sounds amazing!

And they had another show~!

Atlanta, Georgia:
- Dusty Rhodes beat Superstar Billy Graham
- Thunderbolt Patterson & Rocky Johnson beat Ole Anderson & Ernie Ladd
- AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel beat Mr. Wrestling II
- Georgia Champion Stan Hansen beat Ric Flair
- Abdullah The Butcher beat Tommy Rich

1983 Charlotte, North Carolina: Roddy Piper defeated Greg Valentine to win the NWA United States Championship

AWA Rage in the Cage! Bookerman Wahoo battles Curt Hennig in a steel cage. The Rock and Roll Express rumble with the Nasty Boys. Groovy Greg tangles with "Hard Rock" Paul Diamond. Baron VR and Ray Stevens fight Soldat Ustinov and Teijho Khan!

TOOT TOOT tries to end the Perfect IC champion.

I want to believe Brian Lee did a 5 alarm blade job for Kevin Sullivan at a Hillbilly Elementary school.

The Super J Cup gives a future murderer a chance to shine. The event, called “the single most incredible night of wrestling ever” by Dave Meltzer, would win Wrestling Observer Newsletter’s Best Major Wrestling Show of 1994. It’s regarded by many as one of the greatest pro wrestling shows ever.

DDP clashes with the mighty ROADBLOCK. Jim Duggan beats Alex Wright for...reasons... and Scotty Riggs upset Double J in a match I vaguely remember lead to a Nitro follow up.

The WCW reboot leads to a PPV only days later as Bischoff and Russo move WCW into greater heights than ever seen before or since.

Dusty Rhodes teams with the Sandman, Tommy Dreamer and New Jack to face a menagerie of heels. That sounds AWESOME.

17 years ago today, Steve Austin left WWE for the second time after the two sides failed to come to an agreement on a long-term contract. Austin wouldn’t appear on WWE programming again until Wrestlemania 21 as a guest on Piper’s Pit.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Happy Heavenly Birthday to George Steele! (1937)
Were you on Wrestling Classics when he showed up there and everyone got all excited then it turned out he just showed up to do a bunch of Bible thumping and he got banned? GTs.

I always thought it was super weird he became super churchy. I just imagined him feeling the spirit at church services and doing his stick the tongue out and limply wave hands in the air taunt.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Were you on Wrestling Classics when he showed up there and everyone got all excited then it turned out he just showed up to do a bunch of Bible thumping and he got banned? GTs.

I always thought it was super weird he became super churchy. I just imagined him feeling the spirit at church services and doing his stick the tongue out and limply wave hands in the air taunt.
I was there. I only recall the Steele post when Liz died that said something like "This is why we must focus our lives on God". A mod then asked him to not talk about religion per the rules and IIRC Steele quit the board.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember at least one thread of him proselytizing and theologically debating heathens that the mods shut down.

It never seemed to end well when an '80s WWF guy showed up on WrestlingClassics. Idk if we would be able to handle ourselves that much better if Marty Jannetty showed up here.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Nailz (1958) and Roddy Piper (1954).

1978 Augusta, Georgia:
- Dusty Rhodes ddq Abdullah the Butcher AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel beat Mr. Wrestling II Stan Hansen beat Tommy Rich

1979 Raleigh, North Carolina:- US Champion Ric Flair beat Dino Bravo- Non Title Match: Ricky Steamboat beat AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel
- Pedro Morales & Jay Youngblood beat Moose Morowski & Kim Duk by DQ

1984 Allentown, Pennsylvania: The North-South Connection (Adrian Adonis and Dick Murdoch) defeated Tony Atlas and Rocky Johnson to win the WWF Tag Team Titles

1987 Calgary, Alberta, Canada:- Owen Hart defeated Mahkan Singh (Mike Shaw) to win the Stampede North American Heavyweight Title

WCW Spring Stampede 94: Chicago, Illinois:
Johnny B. Badd pinned Diamond Dallas Page (with The Diamond Doll)
WCW World Television Champion Lord Steven Regal (with Sir William) fought Brian Pillman to a 15-minute time-limit draw to retain the title
WCW World Tag Team Champions The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs and Jerry Sags) defeated Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne in a Chicago Street Fight to retain the titles
WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Steve Austin (with Col. Robert Parker) defeated The Great Muta by disqualification to retain the title
Sting pinned WCW International World Heavyweight Champion Rick Rude to win the title
Vader (with Harley Race) pinned The Boss
WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat fought to a no contest due to a double pin (title was vacated due to the finish)

In 2000 on RAW is WAR from State College, Pennsylvania, Chris Jericho defeated Triple H to win the WWF Championship...

Anyway, here's how it went down: Mike Chioda was ref bumped, then Earl Hebner came down to replace him. Triple H in recent weeks and months had been abusing his power, and that extended to referees. Hebner in response fast-counted Triple H down after Jericho hit his Lionsault finisher.
Fast forward about four minutes and Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, and her brother Shane demand they reverse the decision on account of the fast count. After initially refusing, they replayed the ending and Mike Chioda, who was the original official in the match, said it was indeed a fast count. Earl agrees to reverse the decision, but only on the condition that as long as he's a referee, nobody abuses him again ever.
Triple H agrees and Chris Jericho through Earl returns the WWF Championship belt to the previous champion. Triple H, of course, fires Earl Hebner moments later, then assaults the ex-referee.
Jericho’s brief WWF title run kept him from leaving the company. It’s a story he’s told many times, like on SiriusXM’s Busted Open in 2013:

“Before I won the title that time at State College, Pennsylvania against Triple H, I was on my way to Vince’s (McMahon) office; it was like the movie Slap Shot: ‘Who owns the Chiefs? Pay me or I will leave’ sort of thing. I’m done!I lost to Viscera, I lost to the Godfather and this was a waste of my time. I’m done.
The writer at that time was Tommy Blacha at the time and he said, ‘Listen, before you go to Vince, I have to say something.’ I said, ‘There is nothing you can say that’s going to change my mind.’ He said, ‘You’re going to win the World Title tonight.’ And that changed my mind.

2000- Osan, South Korea: Big Bubba Bain and L.A. Stephens defeat The Rock 'n' Roll Express (Robert Gibson and Ricky Morton) to win the NWA World Tag Team Titles

2011 TNA presented Lockdown from the US Bank Arena in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Jeff Jarrett (with Karen Jarrett) defeated Kurt Angle "Ultra Male Rules" Two out of Three Falls Steel Cage match
Sting defeated Rob Van Dam and Mr. Anderson in a three-way Steel Cage match to retain the TNA World Heavyweight Championship
Fortune (Christopher Daniels, Kazarian, Robert Roode and James Storm) defeated Immortal (Ric Flair, Abyss, Bully Ray and Matt Hardy) in a Lethal Lockdown match

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Happy 60th Birthday to Steve Lombardi!

1982 St. Paul, Minnesota, Hulk Hogan defeated Nick Bockwinkel to win the AWA World Heavyweight Championship.

AWA President Stanley Blackburn overturns the decision six days later, citing both men used illegal objects in the match. The title change was voided and the win stricken from the record books.

In a bit of trivia, on the one year anniversary of the decision being overturned, Hogan again defeated Bockwinkel for the title in a no disqualification match. Again, Stanley Blackburn strips Hogan of the title, returning it to Bockwinkel.

1985 – Bruiser Brody wrestled Antonio Inoki in his 1st singles match for New Japan Pro Wrestling at Sumo Hall in Tokyo, Japan

1989 Tokyo, Japan: - NWA International Heavyweight Champion Jumbo Tsuruta defeated NWA United National Heavyweight and PWF Heavyweight Champion Stan Hansen to unify all the titles and become the first AJPW Triple Crown Champion

1990 - EMLL legend and patriarch of the famed Guerrero family, Gory Guerrero died at the age of 69.

2002 - Hall of Famer Wahoo McDaniel died at the age of 63

At a Smackdown taping in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Triple H defeated Tazz in a non-title match. It's the first time that WWF's and ECW's world champions faced each other in a sanctioned bout. Other matches saw Kurt Angle tangle with Beniot and the Rock vs Y2J.

2004 WWE Backlash: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada:
- Shelton Benjamin pinned World Tag Team Champion Ric Flair
- WWE Intercontinental Champion Randy Orton pinned Cactus Jack in a hardcore match to retain the title
- World Heavyweight Champion Chris Benoit defeated Shawn Michaels and Triple H in a triple threat match to retain the title

2010 TNA Lockdown: St. Charles, Missouri:
- Team 3D (Brother Devon and Brother Ray) defeated The Band (Kevin Nash and Scott Hall) in a St. Louis Street Fight Steel Cage match
- Kurt Angle defeated Mr. Anderson
- A.J. Styles defeated D'Angelo Dinero to retain the TNA World Heavyweight Championship
- Team Hogan (Abyss, Rob Van Dam, Jeff Jarrett and Jeff Hardy) defeated Team Flair (Sting, James Storm, Robert Roode and Desmand Wolfe) in a Lethal Lockdown match

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
In another world, Hulkamania keeps the AWA afloat for a little while longer thanks to Rocky III, and the national expansion doesn't start until later in the 80s.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In another world, Hulkamania keeps the AWA afloat for a little while longer thanks to Rocky III, and the national expansion doesn't start until later in the 80s.
In the grand scheme of things, it is wild that OTTO WANZ got a title run while Hogan was there (and Wanz was a NJPW ally too) but not Hogan. (Yes, I know Wanz paid for the title run).
Hogan wins the WWF title in late December of 83, and Verne responds weeks later by putting his title on....Jumbo Tsuruta, who the midwest fans had almost zero history with (I believe he did do a handful of shots over the past years with Baba in the AWA). The old timer boards tell of how the fans knew he beat that asshole Bockwinkel, but a giant Asian who didn't speak english wasn't exactly a babyface. And the AWA booked him vs Heels and Faces to confuse the issue.
In the long run 84 and 85 still drew lots of money, but it is a baffling decision looking back 37 years later.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fast forward about four minutes and Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, and her brother Shane demand they reverse the decision on account of the fast count. After initially refusing, they replayed the ending and Mike Chioda, who was the original official in the match, said it was indeed a fast count. Earl agrees to reverse the decision, but only on the condition that as long as he's a referee, nobody abuses him again ever.
Triple H agrees and Chris Jericho through Earl returns the WWF Championship belt to the previous champion. Triple H, of course, fires Earl Hebner moments later, then assaults the ex-referee.
I completely forgot that part of this. What a great heel move.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Happy Heavenly Birthday to OX BAKER!~!!! (1934)

1974 St. Louis, Missouri:
NWA Champion Jack Brisco defeated Dory Funk Jr.
Harley Race and Lord Alfred Hayes double count-out of ring with Bobo Brazil and Pat O’Connor
Chris Taylor won a handicap tag bout over Bob Orton and Percy Pringle

1975 LOOK at this roster!
St. Petersburg, Florida:
- Jack Brisco defeated Terry Funk in an NWA championship Texas Death match
- Dory Funk, Jr. defeated Harley Race
- Eddie Graham defeated Mongolian Stomper & Bearcat Wright
- Jim Dillon defeated Johnny Weaver in a Florida TV title match
- Dick Slater defeated Chris Markoff
- Mike Graham & Tiger Conway, Jr. defeated Doug Somers & Joe Soto
- Bob Armstrong defeated Roger Kirby
- Danny Little Bear defeated Dutch Mantel
- Bob Backlund defeated “Irish” Pat Barrett
- Danny Hodge drew John Foley

Detroit, Michigan: Bobo Brazil defeated Abdullah the Butcher for the Detroit NWA United States Heavyweight Title

Greensboro, North Carolina:
Ric Flair defeated Jimmy Snuka to win the NWA United States Heavyweight Title

Minneapolis, Minnesota:
The Crusher & Baron Von Raschke beat Jerry Blackwell & John Studd
Jim Brunzell no contest Nick Bockwinkel
Greg Gagne beat Ray Stevens by dq
Sheik Adnan beat Steve Regal
Curt Hennig beat Adrian Adonis by dq
Tito Santana drew Brad Rheingans
Jesse Ventura beat Buck Zumhofe

Koriyama, Japan:
- Shohei Giant Baba & Dory Funk Jr and Bruiser Brody & Stan Hansen went to a double countout
- AWA Champion Jumbo Tsuruta beat Greg Gagne
Genichiro Tenryu beat Jos Leduc

AWA/JCP Star Wars: East Rutherford, New Jersey:
- AWA Tag Team Champions Road Warriors beat Larry Hennig & Curt Hennig
- AWA Champion Rick Martel beat King Tonga
- Jim Garvin beat Baron Von Raschke
- Bob Backlund beat Larry Zbyszko
- Ugandan Death Match: Kamala beat Sgt. Slaughter
- Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes & Terry Gordy & Buddy Roberts) drew Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell & Tonga Kid
- Jim Duggan beat Kendo Nagasaki
- The Samoans beat Tom Zenk & Steve O
- Buck Zumhofe beat Steve Regal
- Bobby Duncum beat Larry Sharpe

New Orleans, Louisiana:
- The Road Warriors defeated Ron Garvin and NWA United States Heavyweight Champion Magnum T.A. in the finals of the Jim Crockett Sr. tag team tournament
- Mid-South North American Heavyweight Champion Jim Duggan defeated Dick Slater to retain the title
- NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair defeated Dusty Rhodes by disqualification to retain the title\

1987:
Muskogee, Oklahoma, Big Bubba Rogers defeated One Man Gang to win the Universal Wrestling Federation World Heavyweight Championship.

Memphis, Tennessee:
Jerry Lawler beat Randy Savage via DQ in a steel cage match

WCW Spring Stampede, Denver, Colorado:
- Goldberg pinned Saturn
- Ultimo Dragon defeated Chavo Guerrero, Jr.
- WCW World Television Champion Booker T pinned Chris Benoit to retain the title
- Curt Hennig (with Rick Rude) pinned The British Bulldog (with Jim Neidhart)
- WCW Cruiserweight Champion Chris Jericho defeated Prince Iaukea to retain the title
- Lex Luger and Rick Steiner defeated Buff Bagwell and Scott Steiner
- Psychosis pinned La Parka
- Hulk Hogan and WCW World Tag Team Champion Kevin Nash defeated The Giant and Roddy Piper in a baseball bat on a pole match
- Raven defeated WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Diamond Dallas Page in a Raven's Rules match to win the title
- Randy Savage (with Miss Elizabeth) pinned WCW World Heavyweight Champion Sting in a no disqualification match to win the title
(IIRC this was the start of back to back years where Macho Man won the title on a PPV, only to lose it to Hogan the next night on Nitro due to Nash interfering. WCW was nice enough to put them both on the Hulk Hogan: Why I Rule the World VHS to expose their booking.)

2004 http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wwe/monday-night-raw-2264.html
William Regal returned after over a year of battling illnesses. Bischoff put him in charge of EUGENE.

TNA Lockdown, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
- Eric Young defeated Danny Bonaduce (WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? Hulk Hogan Celebrity Wrestling crossover?)
- Suicide defeated Jay Lethal, Consequences Creed, Sheik Abdul Bashir and Kiyoshi in an Xscape match for the TNA X Division Championship
- ODB (with Cody Deaner) defeated Daffney, Madison Rayne and Sojournor Bolt in a Queen of the Cage match (Loved that ODB/ Deaner shit)
- The Motor City Machine Guns (Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley) defeated The Latin American Xchange (Hernandez and Homicide) and No Limit
(Naito and Yujiro) in a three-way Tornado Tag Team Six Sides of Steel cage match for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
- Matt Morgan defeated Abyss in a Doomsday Chamber of Blood match
- Angelina Love (with Velvet Sky) defeated Awesome Kong (with Raisha Saeed) and Taylor Wilde in a three-Way Six Sides of Steel cage match to retain the TNA Women's Knockout Championship
- Team 3D (Brother Devon and Brother Ray) (IWGP Champions) defeated Beer Money, Inc. (James Storm and Robert Roode) (TNA Champions) in a winner take all Philadelphia Street Fight for both the TNA World Tag Team and IWGP Tag Team Championship
- Team Jarrett (Jeff Jarrett, Samoa Joe, A.J. Styles and Christopher Daniels) defeated Team Angle (Kurt Angle, Scott Steiner, Booker T and Kevin Nash) (with Sharmell) in a Lethal Lockdown match
- Mick Foley won the TNA title from Sting

MacGruber guest hosted RAW and beat a Russian.
WWE presented Monday Night Smackdown Confused? Well, the RAW roster was stuck in the United Kingdom due to a erupting volcano in Iceland. Air travel out of the country was banned, and since Smackdown didn't go to Europe (at the time), they got the call. So did Lilian Garcia, who was pulled out of retirement for one night to handle ring announcing duties.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Danny Bonaduce wrestling Eric Young was surprisingly NOT a Hogan thing. That predates Hogan and Bischoff's arrival by 7 or 8 months. IIRC, Bonaduce was doing morning radio in Philadelphia (where that Lockdown '09 was held) at the time so he was added to the card to sell a couple extra tickets. He also had some limited experience in wrestling even before that. He wrestled Christopher Knight in a dark match for Spring Stampede '94.

Also me and @The Valeyard are both disappointed that @BruiserBrody didn't mention that Lockdown 2009 was the event that Mick Foley's Countdown to Lockdown was centered around. I think I'll watch that show on Impact Plus this week now.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I never read Countdown To Lockdown but have seen the match several times and TNA Foley worked his ass off so hard that I've learned to accept every diminishing return.

Also fuck that Ronnie Garvin for what he did to my bro Ox's dentures.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I can't tell you how confused I was when I got my copy of the first PWI Almanac and saw "Danny Bonaduce defeated Christopher Knight" listed as a dark match at Spring Stampede. I wasn't online at the time, so it took over two years before I could learn the story behind that.

Valeyard

Reaction score
TNA has a bunch of whole ppvs on Youtube. Stuff like that is why Impact Plus has me on the fence.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mostly subscribed for the '02-'04 weekly PPVs and if they're all on YouTube, I'm going to give Scott D'Amore a wedgie.

Valeyard

Reaction score
A couple were, but I don't know if they still are. I know the very first show is and there's just a ton of free matches. The original '02-'04 is what I want most, too, but I think they don't have much in the way of those unless it involves AJ or someone making it big outside the company so they can cash in.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Two things on today's list that signaled the end of the UWF.
The first thing fans saw on Mid-South TV after the UWF brand took over was a Crockett Cup press conference that (in part) announced the UWF's top seed as being outside the top 5 in the World, burying their own product.
A year later, midcard bodyguard Big Bubba shows up w/o fanfare (IIRC) to a UWF TV taping and beats the OMG for the title. Dusty was letting the fans know what to think about JCP's new crew.

I didn't add it to the post, but did see in 1991 WCW subbed SID on a house show with....*trumpets* ....Mike Graham. The fans went mild I'm sure.

Last edited:

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
1895 Chicago, Illinois:
- Martin "Farmer" Burns defeated Evan "Strangler" Lewis for the American Heavyweight Title

1971 Tampa, Florida:
- Jack Brisco defeated Terry Funk to win the NWA Florida Television Title

1986 AWA WrestleRock: Minneapolis, Minnesota:
- Cage Match: Road Warriors beat Michael Hayes & Jimmy Garvin
- Cage Match: Verne Gagne beat Sheik Adnan
- Greg Gagne & Jimmy Snuka beat King Kong Brody & Nord the Barbarian
- Nick Bockwinkel beat AWA Champion Stan Hansen by DQ
- Scott LeDeoux beat Larry Zbyszko by DQ
- AWA Tag Team Champions Curt Hennig & Scott Hall beat Bill Irwin & Scott Irwin
- Sherri Martel won a 10 woman Battle Royal
- Rick Martel no contest Harley Race
- Shohei Baba beat Bulldog Bob Brown
- Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo beat Fabulous Ones
- Tiger Mask (Misawa) beat Buck Zumhofe
- Buddy Rose & Doug Somers beat Midnight Rockers
- Colonel DeBeers beat Wahoo McDaniel by DQ
- Brad Rheingans beat Boris Zhukov

1988 Jacksonville, Florida:
- Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard defeated Lex Luger and Barry Windham for the NWA World Tag Team Titles

ECW Hostile City Showdown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania:
- The Dudley Boyz (Buh-Buh Ray and D-Von (with Big Dick and Sign Guy Dudley)) fought The Pitbulls (#1 and #2 (with Francine)) to a no contest
- Taz (with Bill Alfonso) defeated Devon Storm by countout
- Axl Rotten pinned Little Guido (with J.T. Smith)
- The Sandman (with Missy Hyatt) and ECW World Television Champion 2 Cold Scorpio defeated The Bruise Brothers (Ron and Don)
- Brian Lee pinned Tommy Dreamer
- Sabu pinned Rob Van Dam
- ECW World Heavyweight Champion Raven (with The Blue Meanie and Stevie Richards) pinned Shane Douglas (with Kimona Wanalaya) to retain the title
The show is remembered for one of the most famous—and infamous angles--in pro wrestling history. Prior to the Raven-Shane Douglas match for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship, Shane said that Beulah McGuillicutty was cheating on Tommy Dreamer while she was cheating on Raven. Tommy Dreamer wasn't gonna stand for these wild accusations obviously, so out comes Tommy and Tommy threatens Douglas. Douglas told Tommy that if he can't handle the truth, then he's not hardcore. Shane also told Tommy that Beulah was never pregnant. Tommy wanted to know who was the one that was she was cheating on him and Raven with. It turned out it wasn't a he... but a she: Kimona Wanalaya took the mic and revealed it was her. Out came Beulah and she and Kimona made out and Dreamer pulled them apart by the hair. Douglas asked what were Tommy's thoughts on this. Dreamer's reaction would live on in wrestling lore: "I'll take them both, I'm hardcore!" Dreamer left with both ladies and Raven was left to look on.

1997 WWF Revenge of the Taker: Rochester, New York:
- The Legion of Doom (Animal and Hawk) defeated WWF Tag Team Champions The British Bulldog and Owen Hart by disqualification
- Savio Vega (with Crush) defeated WWF Intercontinental Champion Rocky Maivia by countout
- "Double J" Jesse James pinned Rockabilly (with The Honky Tonk Man)
- WWF Champion The Undertaker pinned Mankind (with Paul Bearer) to retain the title
- Steve Austin defeated Bret Hart by disqualification
- Doug Furnas and Philip LaFon defeated The Godwinns (Henry and Phineas)
- Hunter Hearst Helmsley pinned Goldust

1998 WCW Monday Nitro: Colorado Springs, Colorado:
- Goldberg defeated WCW United States Heavyweight Champion Raven to win the title
- Hollywood Hulk Hogan defeated WCW World Heavyweight Champion Randy Savage to win the title