Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Top 50 WWF Singles Wrestlers of the 90s

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm gonna update this daily until I'm done. Basically, it is a kayfabed, PWI 500-style listing of the top WWF singles wrestlers of the 90s. I am using PWI 500 criteria to rank. Rankings are subjective and mostly arbitrary but I will defend them to the death. Or maybe not.

PWI criteria:
  • Win-loss record.
  • Technical ability.
  • Influence on the sport.
  • Success against the highest grade of competition.
  • Success against the most diverse competition.
  • Activity.
The list so far:

50. Doink the Clown - DECEASED
49. Marc Mero
48. Dusty Rhodes - DECEASED
47. Mabel (Viscera) - DECEASED
46. Charles Wright (Papa Shango/Kama/Godfather)
45. Brian Adams (Crush) - DECEASED
44. Savio Vega
43. The Big Show
42. Ted DiBiase
41. Jake Roberts
40. Marty Jannetty
39. Jacques Rougeau (The Mountie)
38. Bam Bam Bigelow - DECEASED
37. Mike Rotunda (IRS)
36. Rick Rude - DECEASED
35. Kerry Von Erich - DECEASED
34. Bob Backlund
33. Rick Martel
32. Faarooq
31. Sean Waltman (1-2-3 Kid/X-Pac)
30. Roddy Piper - DECEASED
29. Sgt. Slaughter
28. Ahmed Johnson
27. Earthquake - DECEASED
26. Big Boss Man - DECEASED
25. Vader - DECEASED
24. Tatanka
23. Sid
22. Ric Flair
21. Kane
20. Lex Luger
19. Goldust
18. Ken Shamrock
17. Jeff Jarrett
16. Owen Hart - DECEASED
15. Yokozuna - DECEASED
14. Mick Foley
13. Davey Boy Smith - DECEASED
12. Diesel
11. Triple H
10. Mr. Perfect - DECEASED
9. Randy Savage - DECEASED
8. The Rock
7. Hulk Hogan
6. Ultimate Warrior - DECEASED
5. Razor Ramon
4. Steve Austin
3. Shawn Michaels

50. Doink the Clown (all iterations)

Televised debut: 10/31/92 (shown in the crowd after a Tatanka squash match on Superstars)
Final televised appearance: 10/16/95 (lost to Hunter Hearst Helmsley on Monday Night Raw)
Recommended Match: vs. Marty Jannetty (6/21/93 RAW)

Doink_The_Clown_pro--590f9bd9632e557754224700c42a402c.png

Former WWE producer Bruce Prichard said in an interview on The Steve Austin Show that Michael Hegstrand had originally conceived the idea of a miserable clown character.[2]

After making appearances in late 1992 in the crowd and at ringside, playing tricks on the fans and wrestlers, the Doink character made his in-ring debut in the WWF in 1993, originally wrestling as a technically sound heel. Doink played cruel jokes on both fans and wrestlers in order to amuse himself and put them off guard.[1] Some of his villainous pranks included tripping Big Boss Man with a tripwire, dumping water on Marty Jannetty and attacking Crush with a loaded prosthetic arm. He clashed with Crush at WrestleMania IX, a match which he won after the appearance of an identical Doink (played by Steve Keirn) from underneath the ring. Doink also wrestled Randy Savage on Monday Night Raw, and substituted for Jerry Lawler, who faked an injury, against Bret Hart at SummerSlam in 1993.

Doink then turned on Lawler on the September 5 episode of WWF Wrestling Challenge in Lawler's The King's Court segment, making Burger King jokes to amuse the crowd and eventually emptied a bucket of water over Lawler. Matt Borne, the original man behind Doink, was fired for re-occurring drug abuses, eventually leaving the gimmick (after bouncing through a few others) to Ray Licameli (also known as Ray Apollo).[3][4] Now as a fan favorite and with a new midget sidekick Dink, Doink was more of a comic relief character, but continued to pull pranks on other wrestlers (albeit more harmless and silly than outright cruel), mostly on heels like Lawler and Bobby Heenan. Doink and Dink also battled with Bam Bam Bigelow and Luna Vachon in a feud that culminated at WrestleMania X. Doink would later encounter Jerry Lawler again in a match at Survivor Series. In this match, Doink and Dink teamed with Wink and Pink to meet Lawler's dwarf team of 'little kings' Queazy, Cheezy, and Sleazy. Eventually, Doink became a jobber, regularly losing to wrestlers like Jeff Jarrett, Hakushi, Waylon Mercy and, in his final televised match in September 1995, to Hunter Hearst Helmsley.[5] Doink reemerged one last time in 1997 at the Slammy Awards and was attacked by Stone Cold Steve Austin, amidst crowd chants of "kill the clown".[1]

Last edited:

Staff member
Reaction score
He was one of the best heels the WWF ever had, and his run was cut painfully short because Vince is childish. The concept was not supported and given the run it should have had.

Reactions: SFH

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would write more but I know I'm gonna hit a writer's block eventually on these so I just said "forget it" and am just taking the bare bones approach.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I like that you're taking kayfabe into account.

Doink was came into the fed hot and showed a lot of fire and technical acumen. With an early win over Crush and competitive bouts with Randy Savage and Bret Hart, he seemed destined for greatness, but once he started playing to the crowd and bringing in gimmicks, he lost sight of what made him great in the first place. By the end, he seemed like a completely different person! A cautionary tale for the ages.

Last edited:

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Meant to post this in the first post.

Honorable Mentions:
Billy Gunn
D-Lo Brown
King Kong Bundy
Tito Santana
The Warlord

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Billy being lower than Doink does seem strange. One of the most dominate tag team wrestles of the 90's isn't top 50, but a guy whose biggest wins were against Crush and Bam Bam is?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Key is singles wrestlers. Gunn was in the Outlaws or the Smoking Gunns practically the entire decade.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Billy Gunn had more Hardcore Championships than Doink in the 90s but when tag teams come around, we know THE ONE who was in at least three top tier 90s teams...

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Bourne Doink was fucking incredible. They had something special. The matches with Perfect and Bret stick out to me most just because I didn't see the Jannetty one until later. But for real, Doink vs Taker would've been some serious money.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Most definitely, Heel Doink versus Taker in that 1993 era would’ve been a trip.

muzzington

Travelling Grandmother
Reaction score

I hadn't watched that period of wrestling until recently but he looked amazing in the role.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If nothing else, your honorable mentions have me captivated to see who the remaining 49 will be. Looking forward to this.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
When the WWF was ushering in the Attitude era, Doink was pretty much positioned as the poster child for everything unlikeable about the New Generation, of course focusing on the babyface period with Dink. But the heel version of Doink IMO could have had a lot of compelling feuds in the Attitude era.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Most definitely, Heel Doink versus Taker in that 1993 era would’ve been a trip.

Just imagine that world where Taker and Gonzalez had a blowoff on Raw and Doink comes out to "celebrate." Summerslam would be even better.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
49. Marc Mero

latest

Televised debut: 3/31/96 (Backstage interview at WrestleMania XII; got into a brawl with Hunter Hearst Helmsley after Helmsley interrupted the interview)
Final televised appearance: 12/6/98 (Capital Carnage British PPV; W/Jackie as his partner, lost a mixed tag match to Christian and Sable; Jackie infamously had her top ripped off after this match, exposing her breasts)
Titles Held: Intercontinental Title (9/23/96 to 10/21/96)
Recommended Match: vs. Steve Austin (6/23/96 KOR)

Last edited:

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Intercontinental Champion (1996–1997)[edit]
After leaving WCW, he immediately signed a contract with the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), where he began competing under his real name because WCW acquired the rights to the Johnny B. Badd name. He debuted in WWF as a fan favorite at WrestleMania XII, on March 31, 1996, where he rescued his wife, Rena "Sable" Mero from Hunter Hearst Helmsley.[50] Mero made his in-ring debut, the following night on Monday Night Raw, where he defeated Isaac Yankem DDS. Beginning with the April 15 episode of Raw, Sable began accompanying Mero to the ring during his matches and he adopted the nickname "Wildman".[51] Mero defeated Helmsley in his pay-per-view debut at In Your House 8.[52] Mero qualified for the King of the Ring tournament by defeating Skip on the June 10 episode of Raw. He defeated Owen Hart in the quarter-final, the following week on Raw,[51] but lost to eventual winner Stone Cold Steve Austin in the semi-final at King of the Ring.[53] Mero began a rivalry with Goldust after Goldust won a match between the pair on the July 1 episode of Raw.[51] Mero faced Goldust in a losing effort at the SummerSlam pay-per-view.[54]

On the September 6 episode of Raw, Mero participated in a tournament for the Intercontinental Championship, which was vacated by Ahmed Johnson due to injury. Mero defeated Stone Cold Steve Austin, Owen Hart and Faarooq to win the title on September 23 episode of Raw.[51] Mero successfully defended the title against Goldust, with the assistance of Mr. Perfect at In Your House 10.[51][55] He dropped the title to rival Hunter Hearst Helmsley, the following night on Raw after Perfect goaded Mero into defending the title against Helmsley and hit him with a steel chair.[51][56] Mero lead a team of Jake Roberts, The Stalker and newcomer Rocky Maivia against Helmsley, Crush, Goldust and Jerry Lawler in a four-on-four elimination tag team match at Survivor Series. Mero was eliminated by Crush but his team won the match.[57] Mero faced Helmsley for the Intercontinental Championship at In Your House 12, where Mero won by count-out.[58]

Mero participated in the 1997 Royal Rumble match as the #16 entrant. He was eliminated by the eventual winner Stone Cold Steve Austin.[59] On the February 3 episode of Raw, Mero received his last opportunity for the Intercontinental Championship against Hunter Hearst Helmsley, where he failed to win the title.[60] Later that month, he tore his anterior cruciate ligament, and spent six months rehabilitating his ring attire and gimmick was inspired by Tiger Ninja (Milton Bradley Karate Fighters) .[61]

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Feud with Sable and departure (1997–1999)[edit]
Mero returned to WWF television on the October 6 episode of Raw is War, where he was repackaged as a boxer-turned-wrestler and got a new nickname "Marvelous". He debuted a new finishing move, TKO to win his match against Miguel Pérez, Jr.[62] Mero began a slow turn as a villain after becoming jealous of the fan following Sable had acquired in his absence and wanting her out of the WWF.[60] During this time, he faced boxer Butterbean in a toughman contest at D-Generation X: In Your House, which he lost by disqualification.[63]

As 1998 began, Mero's obsession with Sable continued, which led to a temporary alliance with Goldust and his valet, Luna Vachon, in which the three humiliated Sable during matches, but it turned into a short feud when Goldust became physical with Sable. At WrestleMania XIV, Mero and Sable defeated Goldust and Luna in a mixed tag team match.[64] The storyline was resolved in a match between Mero and Sable at Over the Edge, in which Mero feigned remorse, offering to lie down and allow her to pin him, before defeating Sable with an inside cradle, which resulted in her leaving the WWF for a short time and Mero completed his villainous turn.[65] After he dropped Sable as his valet, Jacqueline became his manager.[66] However, his association with Jacqueline did not prove to be successful as he failed to qualify for the King of the Ring tournament against Jeff Jarrett on the June 22 episode of Raw is War and competed in the Brawl for All on the following week's episode of Raw is War, where he was defeated by Steve Blackman in the first round.[67] Mero and Jacqueline faced Sable and newcomer Edge in a mixed tag team match at SummerSlam, which Mero lost after Edge dropped Sable on him to pin him for the victory.[68] Mero's misfortunes continued when he failed to regain the Intercontinental Championship after losing to Val Venis in a tournament in October.[67] Jacqueline's interventions in matches soon ended up costing Mero several victories and he ultimately fired her after losing to Big Boss Man on the November 22 episode of Sunday Night Heat.[67][69]

Mero's last appearance on WWF television in the United States was on the November 30 episode of Raw is War, where he had a shot at the Light Heavyweight Championship against Duane Gill. He promised to retire if he did not win the title. Gill won the match with the help of The J.O.B. Squad.[67][70] He wrestled one final time at the United Kingdom-exclusive pay-per-view Capital Carnage, where he teamed with Jacqueline as a reluctant partner against Sable and Christian in a losing effort.[71] In 1999, both Mero and Sable left the WWF. At the time, Mero had three years remaining on his contract, with a guaranteed salary of $350,000.[6] Mero subsequently did not wrestle for 18 months due to various nagging injuries and a shoulder surgery.[17][72]

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is crazy to think that Marc Mero got almost twice as much as Mick Foley when they signed to WWF at the same time in early '96. He's in the category as Jeff Jarrett as guys I think promoters/bookers liked more than the fans. I don't have any doubts if he actually jumped back to WCW in '99/'00, he would've got pushed as an upper mid-card/US Title level guy at the bare minimum if not main eventer.

As bad as Russo era WCW was, imagine if we'd gotten Johnny B. Badd: Asskicking Babyface.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I actually thought Mero was a decent worker in 94-96 WCW, and in 96 WWF. His shooting star press was a thing of beauty. He was never a great promo, but I thought he did have a certain type of charisma.

He never really was the same in the ring after he tore up his knee in 97 though, and by the time he came back he was just 2nd fiddle to Sable's boobs. If he hadn't gotten hurt, and Sable hadn't taken off (her clothes) I think he would've had a lot better run in 98-99 WWF.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Mero was incredible and by and large doesn't get the respect. From 1994-97 he improved so rapidly, and was by the end of his WCW run one of the best in the company. Never held back, the Badd Man. Injuries killed his WWF run overall, I think, but the stuff with Austin was awesome and the stuff with HHH was better than it had any right to be. Once he got hurt and couldn't to the Wrestlemania thing with Rock, they lost faith...although that Rock/Sultan match was a big part of Rocky turning into The Rock, so Mero totally made the Rock.

Marvelous was great and could've gone further if Sable didn't break out. I would've bought him as an upper midcard guy in 1998, or at least more than I bought Jarrett at the time. Besides the TKO was great and he had one of the best themes in the company.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Johnny B. Badd was one of the first WCW guys I remember becoming a fan of when I discovered Saturday Night.

I was so pumped when he came to WWE and was a big Wildman fan. Definitely think that perfect storm of being overshadowed by Sable and the injury set him back to the point that he has a lot of “what if” surrounding his career trajectory.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The first WCW match I remember ever watching was Johnny B Badd and Flyin' Brian vs Blue Bloods on one of the b-shows, I think. I followed him pretty much until he left because he was one of the guys I could count on for a fun match. It might be because of liking him I've never been a big DDP fan, because Badd was on such a roll. Watching his early stuff is like watching a totally different person.

I'd even add Mr. Perfect leaving to his list of WWF setbacks. I don't know what the HHH feud was supposed to look like, but Hennig bailing fucked up a lot.

Staff member
Reaction score
If Mero didn't hurt his knee, he would have been the perfect heel foil for Austin. We also know that Vince loved him. It's fair to say the entire course of the Attitude Era could have been different.

I think he was a great wrestler, but it's clear that the other wrestlers don't feel the same way. I'm sure he faced some discrimination because everyone at one point either thought he was gay or black, and that's part of why the other wrestlers feel that way. Being Jewish in that time period isn't much better to a lot of the kinds of people who were in those locker rooms, with guys who had SS tattoos or wore SS shirts, Taker being one of them.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I heard Cornette of all people say that the problem was he was trained to be Johnny B Badd before he was learned to work. I can see where he's coming from, but it's just a piece. A lot of the bias I first recall hearing was around Benoit and The List made the rounds.

Has Mero put a book out yet? I'd be a little curious.