Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Top 50 WWF Singles Wrestlers of the 90s

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
They did a great job of echoing the vibe of Undertaker in the early 90s by making the red lights hit and Kane stalk down to the ring to kill somebody. Bearer was the icing on the cake. Especially impressionable when like he would come down and a Marc Mero would bolt the ring & abandon Sable. I think they smartly did this over a long stretch too in his challenging Undertaker to fight as we saw Kane at Badd Blood then he started hitting the ring and just taking people out at random with no rhyme or reason to who the target would be. Really helped maintain that monster/beast aura.

Last edited:

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
20. Lex Luger

Lex_Luger_pro.png

The Narcissist (1993)[edit]
After his accident and the closure of the WBF, Luger joined the World Wrestling Federation (WWF). Bobby "The Brain" Heenan unveiled him with the persona of "Narcissus" at Royal Rumble 1993. Shortly thereafter, his name was altered slightly to "The Narcissist". Luger posed before full-length mirrors before every match.[49] The WWF also incorporated his motorcycle accident into his gimmick, capitalizing on the fact that he had a "metal plate" inserted into his forearm which was said to cause more damage when it struck an opponent, often allowing Luger to pin them with only his little finger placed on their chest. This caused a number of his opponents to demand that he wear a cover over it during matches when he had a streak of knocking people out. This eventually led to WWF officials demanding that Luger wear an elbow pad, though he would often remove it. The Narcissist's one major feud was with Mr. Perfect. The feud was based on Heenan, his advisor, referring to him as being "Beyond Perfection", in a slight at Mr. Perfect, his former managerial client. The rivalry ended at WrestleMania IX when Luger defeated Perfect.[50]

The All-American (1993–1994)[edit]
In mid-1993, after Hulk Hogan's departure from the company, Luger was transformed into a fan-favorite character with the nicknames "Made in the USA" and "The All-American". On July 4, he took part in an event where he arrived by helicopter on the deck of the USS Intrepid and body slammed the near 600 pound (270 kg) WWF World Heavyweight Champion Yokozuna after a number of other athletes, both inside the WWF and out, attempted and failed.[51] Following this, he began the "Lex Express" tour, traveling the country in a red, white, and blue painted bus to greet fans in preparation for his shot at the WWF World Heavyweight Championship at SummerSlam 1993.[52] The match had the stipulation that this would be Luger's only shot at the title.[53] Luger, with the use of the metal plate in his forearm, eventually won the match, but the countout victory meant that Yokozuna retained the title.[54] According to Bruce Prichard, Vince McMahon didn't give the title to Luger besides the push he had because he wasn't working and wasn't drawing audience.[55]

In late 1993, Luger began a feud with Ludvig Borga, another anti-American foreigner. At Survivor Series 1993, Luger captained a team dubbed "All-Americans" (Luger, The Undertaker, and The Steiner Brothers) against Yokozuna's team "Foreign Fanatics" (Crush, Yokozuna, Ludvig Borga, and Quebecer Jacques) in a 4-on-4 Survivor Series match. Luger's team won the match after he pinned Borga.[56] At the Royal Rumble, Luger participated in the Royal Rumble match where he and Bret Hart were declared "co-winners" after both men went over the top rope and had their feet hit the ground simultaneously.[57] As such, both received shots at the WWF World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania X. Luger was disqualified in his title match against Yokozuna,[58] and later that night Hart won the title from Yokozuna.[59] After WrestleMania X, Luger was to start another feud with Mr. Perfect, but Hennig was injured, so Luger instead feuded with Crush.[60][61]

Luger then began feuding with his friend Tatanka due to a lack of trust between them, and a match between the two took place at SummerSlam.[62] At the event, Tatanka defeated Luger and joined Ted DiBiase's Million Dollar Corporation.[63][64] At Survivor Series, he was in a Survivor Series team "Guts & Glory" (himself, Mabel, Adam Bomb, and The Smoking Gunns) losing to the Corporate team of Tatanka, King Kong Bundy, Bam Bam Bigelow, and The Heavenly Bodies – with only King Kong Bundy and Bam Bam Bigelow surviving.[65]

The Allied Powers (1995)[edit]
Main article: The Allied Powers
In the beginning of 1995, Luger formed a tag team with Davey Boy Smith, dubbed The Allied Powers.[66] They made their pay-per-view debut as a tag team at WrestleMania XI, defeating the Blu Brothers.[67] They defeated jobbers on Raw and, after a victory over Men on a Mission (King Mabel and Sir Mo) in June 1995,[68] earned a shot at the WWF Tag Team Championship against Owen Hart and Yokozuna at In Your House 2: The Lumberjacks but failed to win the titles.[69] Shortly after Summerslam, Luger, whose contract had expired, left the WWF without letting McMahon know beforehand.[70]

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some may scoff at this but PWI loved Lex when he was in the WWF:

1993 Most Popular Wrestler, 1993 Comeback of the year, and 2nd place in Most Inspirational Wrestler

Three straight Top 25 finishes in the PWI 500 during his time in the WWF (7/1993, 17/1994, 23/1995)

He was also listed in the WWF Top 10 rankings for two straight years (March 1993 through April 1995)

Couple this with the rocket push he got which lasted into 1994 when he got the WrestleMania shot. Even after that, the feud with Tatanka that a lot of people remember from that time period.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's what my guess was. As much of a choker he was and as lame as his character was, he was probably in the Top 10 rankings pretty much his entire stint in WWF. Besides the start of the Allied Powers, there wasn't really a time in Luger's run where he wasn't presented as someone important.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Never beating Yokozuna and never getting revenge on Perfect totally hurt him. It would've benefited him considerably if they scaled back the patriot gimmick after Wrestlemania because it instantly became forced and sad to me. It really should have been him who sold out, too. He's another of the very very few that I think might have clicked with Dibiase. All kinds of new doors opening. White patriot guy fighting Native American guy over money was just not cool with me as a kid.

Narcissist was the shit. I wish that run had lasted way longer.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Never beating Yokozuna and never getting revenge on Perfect totally hurt him. It would've benefited him considerably if they scaled back the patriot gimmick after Wrestlemania because it instantly became forced and sad to me. It really should have been him who sold out, too. He's another of the very very few that I think might have clicked with Dibiase. All kinds of new doors opening. White patriot guy fighting Native American guy over money was just not cool with me as a kid.

Narcissist was the shit. I wish that run had lasted way longer.

Yeah, Luger was always great as a pompous prick. I think doing what they did with he and Sting in early 1996 would have worked with him and Tatanka but that was something that WWF was not really equipped to implement at that point. Luger as a cocky ass preening heel and Tatanka as the white meat babyface trying to keep his partner from healing it up too much would have been fun.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
man, this makes up for the lack of Billy gunn and then some. I didn't expect him to get ranked by this point, and to have him above the big red machination of vince macmahon's worst brainstorming sessions,

IncredibleCloseCrocodileskink-size_restricted.gif

Dandy

Reaction score
Before these last two spots were revealed, I listed the 21 I thought were left and both of these were in the range I thought they would be. I didn’t put the list in order but I had a rough idea of where I expected them to be. I only struggled with putting two on the list, though I ultimately expect both will be listed. I just didn’t think one or both would be much higher.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Once I realized my Kane gaffe I was 100% confident that my list of 20 would be there. At the point I started keeping track (at Slaughter’s spot) Quake and Tatanka were the only two I thought might get snubbed. Val Venis was the guy I had before I remembered Kane. He didn’t have the longevity but every feud he was in seemed relevant, he held a couple titles and they even tested the main event waters with him against Foley. Surprised to see him (probably) left out of the top 50

Dandy

Reaction score
I have one that I could totally see being left off. I don’t think I even want to put it in spoiler tags because I love this thread and don’t want to veer off on too many side discussions.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm getting curious about who will fill out most of the teens range.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
19. Goldust

Why-The-Controversial-Goldust-Wanted-To-Get-Breast-Implants-For-His-WWE-Character-1200x900_5ee375b962141_1200x900.jpeg

WWF Debut (1990-1991)
Runnels debuted as a fan favorite in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) in late 1990, wrestling as Dustin Rhodes. His first match in the WWF (now WWE) was against Paul Diamond on September 21, 1990.[13] In December 1990, Rhodes defeated Ted DiBiase in a televised ten-minute challenge match. On January 19, 1991, at the Royal Rumble, Rhodes and his father Dusty lost to Ted DiBiase and Virgil in a tag team bout, and both left immediately after.[14]

Debut of Goldust (1995–1996)[edit]
In August 1995, Runnels returned to the WWF, wrestling as a then villain Goldust, nicknamed "the bizarre one" because of his somewhat spooky, mysterious and sexually suggestive mannerisms and presence. Using in-ring psychology to his advantage, Goldust often used lewd and flirtatious mind games to anger, confuse, and distract his opponents. He utilized such tactics as groping and excessive affection towards his opponent in the midst of delivering his onslaught. To that end, one of Goldust's trademarks is his exaggerated, suggestively breathy inhalation whilst caressing his own body; this all ends in him exhaling through a vicious biting sound at his adversary, intended to startle. The character was portrayed as a drag queen obsessed with films and everything gold, which is a parody of the Oscars statuette. Under the gimmick, Runnels wears a predominately gold jumpsuit (with tidbits of other colors, such as white and black); black and gold face paint; and during entrances and promos, a glittery gold robe and a platinum blonde wig over his short platinum blonde hair. Years later, Runnels stated that Vince McMahon called him and offered him the gimmick and mentioned "androgynous" several times; Runnels, wanting a separate identity from his father at the time, promptly accepted without knowing what the word "androgynous" meant, then promptly looked it up in the dictionary after getting off the phone with McMahon and shocked to see what it meant said to himself "What did I get myself in to?"[15] Runnels himself admitted that the first few months of the gimmick were uncomfortable for him as it didn't match his personality at all, but decided to work with what was given to him and "run with it".[15]

Goldust won his debut match on October 22, 1995, against Marty Jannetty at the In Your House 4 pay-per-view. He defeated the departing Bam Bam Bigelow in Bigelow's last WWF match at the Survivor Series.[1] He then feuded with Razor Ramon, whom he stalked and sent messages to throughout late 1995. The feud culminated at the Royal Rumble on January 21, 1996, where Goldust defeated Ramon for the Intercontinental Championship due to interference from the 1–2–3 Kid. This match also marked the debut of Goldust's valet, Marlena, portrayed by his then wife Terri. With her seductive, coolly unconcerned and mysterious character, Marlena complemented Goldust. Her gimmick consisted of sitting at ringside in a director's chair during Goldust's matches, advising him while smoking large brown cigars. A rematch between Goldust and Ramon at WrestleMania XII was canceled after Ramon was suspended, with Goldust instead fighting Roddy Piper in a Hollywood Backlot Brawl.[16] At the end of the fight, Piper stripped Goldust of his ring attire to reveal him wearing women's lingerie; Runnels revealed in 2018 (while making jokes at his own butt) that it was his idea just three days before WrestleMania XII to wear a slip and thong underneath his ring attire and to have Piper strip him down, getting the approval from McMahon.[15]

Goldust defended his Intercontinental Championship in bouts against Savio Vega and The Ultimate Warrior before losing to Ahmed Johnson at King of the Ring on June 23, 1996. In August 1996, Goldust briefly gained control over Mankind and feuded with The Undertaker. His attention soon turned to Marc Mero and his then wife Sable. Goldust and Marlena attempted to get Sable to join their team, but Mero won the feud and kept her by his side. He also had a Ladder match with Shawn Michaels at internet pay-per-view (iPPV) Xperience for the WWF Championship but lost the match.

In December 1996 Goldust entered a feud with Hunter Hearst Helmsley, when Helmsley began flirting with Goldust's valet: Marlena. This feud lead to the debut of Chyna as Helmsley's new bodyguard, who would manhandle Marlena and cause sympathy for Marlena & Goldust. This marked the first time Goldust changed into a fan favorite rather than the villainous character he was prior.

Various gimmicks (1997–1999)[edit]
In May 1997, Goldust revealed his identity as Dustin Runnels, the son of Dusty Rhodes. In the summer and fall of that year, he joined other wrestlers in their conflict with The Hart Foundation, feuding in particular with Brian Pillman, to whom he lost the services of Marlena for thirty days. Just before the thirty days were up, Pillman died of heart disease hours before the Badd Blood event on October 5, 1997. In November 1997, Goldust split with Marlena and refused to cooperate with his Survivor Series teammates, which once again turned him into a heel. This led to a feud with Vader in December 1997 and the appearance of The Artist Formerly Known As Goldust (a reference to Prince), managed by Luna Vachon. He began mimicking celebrities and fellow wrestlers with characters such as "Chynadust", "Dust Lovedust", "Dustydust", "Hunterdust", "Flashdust", "Marilyn Mansondust", "Sabledust", and "Vaderdust" in early 1998.[14]

By June 1998, Goldust feuded with Val Venis, who had been involved with Terri during their separation. Now going by his real name, Dustin Runnels began speaking out (mostly in taped vignettes) on the increasingly edgy WWF product and promoting alternatives to watching the show such as reading the Bible. These vignettes were sponsored by the fictional group, "Evangelists Against Television, Movies and Entertainment", the acronym for which reads "EATME" – a thinly veiled joke on the WWF's part.[17] Runnels declared himself a born again Christian, alluding to "his" return, and walking through the crowd with signs reading "he's coming back!". While the return of Christ was clearly implied, Runnels was in fact referencing the return of the Goldust gimmick, which he reprised in October 1998 against Val Venis and then in November 1998, he began feuding with Jeff Jarrett over the attention of his manager, Debra.

In early 1999, Goldust feuded with Al Snow, upon stealing Head, Snow's mascot, and The Blue Meanie, who had recently renamed himself "Bluedust" and adopted many of Goldust's mannerisms. After Goldust defeated Meanie at St. Valentine's Day Massacre, Meanie became Goldust's apprentice. After Ryan Shamrock became Goldust's valet, Meanie and Shamrock began vying for Goldust's attention. In the same time period, Goldust won the Intercontinental Championship again from Road Dogg and then lost it to The Godfather two weeks later. He would team up with Blue Meanie having a few matches against the Hardy Boyz until Goldust left the company in June 1999.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I remember when the vignettes first started it was just the word GOLDUST on the screen and I was 100% sure it would be a cartoon Hollywood gimmick for someone like Jimmy Del Ray. Then he shows up and is the exact opposite, beats Jannetty and Bigelow, wants to bang Razor. Goldust revealing his "tattoo" of Razor was just so creepy. The Ahmed feud was awesome for the simplicity and completely fucked up nature (I can't decide, as an adult, if forcing himself on an unconcious Ahmed or that one promo where he's only wearing the belt over his crotch talking about chocolate melting in his mouth is more fucked up). Dude was like no one else.

Only active time I genuinely think I hated him was the run with Luna because it felt super forced. When the highlight dressing as baby new year, getting stunned, and thrown in a port-a-potty is the peak, fuck that run.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just as a booking exercise, I do wonder how a white meat babyface Dustin would have fared in the company if he had stuck around instead of taking off with his daddy.

I presume that he would been given a cowboy gimmick and been a low card act feuding with the Skinners and Warlords while being punished for being Dusty’s son and ultimately would have left anyways, rendering it pointless to fantasy book an extended early 90s Dustin run in WWF.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even worse on the Luna run was that god awful rendition of his theme music. Fuck. Such an interesting character. The teenager in me still chuckles when Dustin was being "born again" with the "he is coming" shit and Val Venis shows up with a sign, "I have come."

Gold.

(dust)

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
18. Ken Shamrock

Ken_Shamrock_bio.png

Various feuds (1997–1998)[edit]
Shamrock made his WWF debut as a face on the February 24, 1997 episode of Monday Night Raw, the same episode of Raw where ECW promoted their first pay-per-view Barely Legal. On March 23, 1997, Shamrock, identified as Ken Shamrock and billed as "The World's Most Dangerous Man"—a name given to him by ABC News—refereed a submission match between Bret Hart and Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13.[2]

Shamrock returned to the ring following WrestleMania, squashing Vernon White (one of his Lion's Den students) in his debut WWF match.[2] He went on to feud with Vader, Bret Hart, and The Hart Foundation throughout 1997. Shamrock's feud with Vader continued in Japan, through a working agreement between the WWF and FMW, Shamrock wrestled Vader in an Ultimate Rules Steel Cage match for FMW's Kawasaki Legend 1997 super show featuring 4 other promotions. The match ended in a TKO win for Vader as Shamrock was suffering from internal bleeding from a lung infection and a rib injury.

Shamrock's rivalry with the Harts led to his first WWF pay-per-view main event at In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede, and culminated in a bout between him and The British Bulldog for the European Championship at SummerSlam which Shamrock lost by disqualification after hitting the Bulldog with a can of dog food. Shamrock went on to wrestle Bret Hart to a no-contest in a match for the latter's WWF Championship on the edition of October 21 of Raw. He again challenged for the WWF Championship in the main event of December's D-Generation X: In Your House, defeating champion Shawn Michaels by disqualification when Triple H interfered.

Throughout early 1998, Shamrock feuded with The Rock and his Nation of Domination stable over Rock's Intercontinental Championship. He lost to Rock via disqualification at the Royal Rumble and a victory over him at WrestleMania XIV was reversed after Shamrock continued to apply his ankle lock after Rock had submitted.

In June 1998, Shamrock competed in the 1998 King of the Ring tournament, eliminating Nation members Mark Henry, Kama and The Rock, as well as Jeff Jarrett, to win the tournament. Following the King of the Ring, Shamrock feuded briefly with the returning King Mabel, who had interfered to attack him in a rematch with Jarrett, and whom Shamrock defeated in a singles match injuring his leg.[22] He next feuded with Owen Hart: Hart defeated Shamrock in a "Hart Family Dungeon match" at Fully Loaded, and Shamrock defeated Hart in a "Lion's Den match" at SummerSlam. In September, he formed a short-lived stable with Mankind and The Rock.

The Corporation and The Union (1998–1999)[edit]
Main articles: The Corporation and The Union
Shamrock turned heel in October 1998 and won the vacant Intercontinental Championship on October 12, defeating X-Pac in the finals of an eight-man tournament. In November, Shamrock joined Mr. McMahon's Corporation after McMahon offered him "a family" in exchange for his services.[23] On December 14, Shamrock and fellow Corporation member The Big Boss Man defeated the New Age Outlaws for the WWF Tag Team Championship, making Shamrock a dual champion. The duo held the titles until January 25, 1999, when they lost to Jeff Jarrett and Owen Hart.

In January 1999, Shamrock began feuding with Billy Gunn, Goldust and Val Venis, all of whom had made overtures to his kayfabe sister, Ryan. He lost the Intercontinental Championship to Venis on February 14 at St. Valentine's Day Massacre when Gunn, the guest referee, delivered a fast count. Shamrock took part in a four way bout for the Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania XV. The reigning champion Road Dogg, was able to retain his title by pinning Goldust after Shamrock and Venis were counted out while brawling outside the ring.

In early mid-1999, the Corporation began feuding with The Undertaker and his Ministry of Darkness, with The Undertaker's minions repeatedly ambushing Shamrock and kidnapping Ryan, sacrificing her on the Undertaker's symbol. After breaking away from the Corporation, thus turning face once more, Shamrock went on to feud with The Undertaker at Backlash and lost.

After losing to Undertaker, Shamrock, Big Show, Mankind and Test formed The Union, a stable of wrestlers in opposition to the Corporate Ministry. The Union dissolved soon after defeating the Corporate Ministry at Over the Edge in May. Shamrock briefly feuded with Jeff Jarrett before beginning a rivalry with martial artist Steve Blackman that saw he and Blackman fight one another in a series of unorthodox matches. The feud ended at SummerSlam, where Shamrock defeated Blackman in a "Lion's Den weapons match". He went on to feud with the newly debuted Chris Jericho until departing the WWF in late 1999 in order to resume his mixed martial arts career. His departure was attributed on screen to an injury inflicted by Jericho's bodyguard, Mr. Hughes. Shamrock has since appeared in the video games WWF SmackDown!, WWF SmackDown! 2: Know Your Role (in Royal Rumble matches only), WWF No Mercy, WWE '13 and WWE 2K16.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Ken Shamrock was one of my favorites. Ahead of his time with his MMA background and had this intensity/aura that never seemed fake compared to other wrestlers who've tried going for that same vibe.

Should've had a long run with the IC Title and the King of the Ring he won should've led to him winning the IC Title over The Rock at Summerslam IMO but Shamrock never really recovered from feuding with Rock so long and never quite getting the big win he should've gotten. IIRC they tried doing the tease of Shamrock winning the belt a couple times only for it to be overturned when he'd refuse to release the Ankle Lock then beating up the refs.

Then he kind of bounced around as being part of The Corporation & tag teaming with Big Bossman then various triple threat feuds with Val Venis, Goldust, Billy Gunn including infamously introducing his "sister" Ryan Shamrock.

Dandy

Reaction score
I don’t think so. Goldberg’s look and charisma/mannerisms combined with a high impact move in the Spear made him insanely popular. I don’t think Shamrock could have pulled that off.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Shamrock had a similar charisma, I think. Legit badass who you could see wrecking people, but with Shamrock there's footage of him wrecking people for real. Market that right, he's a legend. Goldberg can spear and jackhammer, but Shamrock can break them. Keep the promos super simple and limited. GET OUTTA MY WAY isn't as catchy as WHO'S NEXT? though.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Goldberg didn't have those glistening abs, though.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The whole reason Jesus is still over is his abs.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Actually now I'm kinda pissed Pride or somewhere didn't give us Goldberg vs Shamrock. Not too late, I suppose.

Still, Shamrock getting that push at that time in the WWF would've succeeded. Why beat up Jerry Flynn when you can beat up Miguel Perez?

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Goldberg/Shamrock would have happened in Fusient-owned WCW. Fuck you Kellner.