Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Top 50 WWF Singles Wrestlers of the 90s

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kind of crazy that KVE was only in his early 30s during his mediocre af WWF run. In a time when most great workers are entering their prime, he was running out the clock.

For all the talk about him potentially being the #2 option if Hogan didn't want to jump to WWF and auditioning to play Ivan Drago in Rocky IV, I always thought Kerry was too wooden and lunkheaded to be a huge mainstream star. From what I've seen (and I really should watch more WCCW), he played better as a believable small town (as much as you can believe Dallas/Fort Worth as a small town lol) hero than a Hogan/Warrior-esque mega star. If he had arrived in 1983 or lived past '93 and showed up in the New Generation era, I believe he could have been a big star in WWF but in the Hogan/Warrior era, he was a square peg in a round hole.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kind of crazy that KVE was only in his early 30s during his mediocre af WWF run. In a time when most great workers are entering their prime, he was running out the clock.

For all the talk about him potentially being the #2 option if Hogan didn't want to jump to WWF and auditioning to play Ivan Drago in Rocky IV, I always thought Kerry was too wooden and lunkheaded to be a huge mainstream star. From what I've seen (and I really should watch more WCCW), he played better as a believable small town (as much as you can believe Dallas/Fort Worth as a small town lol) hero than a Hogan/Warrior-esque mega star. If he had arrived in 1983 or lived past '93 and showed up in the New Generation era, I believe he could have been a big star in WWF but in the Hogan/Warrior era, he was a square peg in a round hole.

I didn't really like how high he was to be honest but he did hold the IC title for 3 months, which meant a lot more in those days. Lengths of reign definitely played into his placement, especially considering nobody below him had a similar reign with any belt (outside of Big Show holding the WWF title the last couple weeks of the decade). In comparison to other title holders, he ranks relatively low.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought of calling him a transitional champ but even though it was shorter for that timeframe, it wasn't THAT short. He was able to get PPV and SNME title defenses.

I think best way to describe the poor fit is that The Von Erichs were very believable heroic babyfaces and '90/'91 were the last hurrah of the larger than life superhero era for WWF.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Gary Hart said something about how Kerry had that dopey jock charisma people got drawn to. It was just way too late for him to be worth much, honestly, which is a mixed blessing. Every time he came out, he had the aura but looked so fucked up and uncomfortable. Every time I watch his WWF stuff, I just can't get past how you can look in his eyes and see how fucked up he was on every level. It's sad. Least shitty of the Von Erichs, arguably. If it weren't for Perfect he would've fizzled immediately, and I consider that an achievement for both guys because it seemed like they both wanted to prove themselves as at the very least second generation guys. Makes it all the more frustrating and depressing he fizzled, but he'd passed his ceiling. He could've been Hogan or Bossman's buddy of the month. My favorite WWF moment (excluding that big 1992 run as Warrior) was his being one of the ghosts of Flair's past he had a sequence with at the '92 Rumble.

If he'd gone to WCW, he would've instantly been a top guy, though.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KVE would have been a prime candidate for all that rehab money WWE is throwing around in the 21st century, if only he could have made it that long. Even though I only knew him as "The Texas Tornado" as a kid (did not watch prior) I liked the character. To echo @The Valeyard , looking at the footage NOW, is scary to look into his eyes with the hindsight we have.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
34. Bob Backlund

Bob_Backlund_pro.png

Return to WWF (1992–1996)[edit]
In 1992, Backlund returned to the WWF.[26] During his absence, the WWF had expanded into an international wrestling promotion, due in part to the colorful characters of the "Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection Era", which Hulk Hogan helped to kickstart eight years prior. Backlund, whose persona remained the same as it was in his heyday, seemed to be out of step with the evolution of the WWF. Many fans did not remember him, as he had left just prior to Vince McMahon's national expansion. His initial return to the WWF was largely uneventful and he mainly wrestled mid-card matches. However, at the 1993 Royal Rumble, Backlund, the number two entrant lasted sixty-one minutes and ten seconds,[27] a duration record that stood until 2004, when Chris Benoit broke it. Backlund's first appearance at WrestleMania was the IX edition, where he was quickly pinned by Razor Ramon.[28] Backlund also received several shots at the Intercontinental Championship, then held by Shawn Michaels.

On the July 30, 1994, episode of Superstars, Backlund wrestled what was billed as an "Old Generation vs. New Generation" match with Bret Hart, with Hart's WWF World Heavyweight Championship on the line. Over the preceding weeks, the WWF aired vignettes of Backlund training for this match. Hart won the match, capitalizing after Backlund mistakenly believed he had won and helped Hart to his feet. Backlund "snapped" after Hart repeatedly tried to offer a sportsmanlike handshake following the match. He slapped Hart in the face and locked him in the crossface chickenwing submission hold, while screaming hysterically. After finally releasing the hold, Backlund stared at his hands in apparent shock. Backlund then started to regularly "snap" in similar fashion during his matches, viciously attacking his opponent with the crossface chickenwing and refusing to release it after the opponent submitted. He would then seemingly snap back to normal and appear horrified by what he had done.[1]

On an episode of Monday Night Raw, shortly after his match with Hart, Backlund claimed that he should still be considered the legitimate WWF World Heavyweight Champion, as he had not been pinned by The Iron Sheik, nor submitted to the camel clutch. Backlund continued wrestling under the new gimmick of an out of touch and highly volatile eccentric, out to teach "The New Generation" a lesson.[1] He dressed in business suits (complete with a bow tie), had a hyperactive personality and used (and often misused, for comic effect) large words during his interviews. He demanded that he be addressed as Mr. Backlund, and he would only sign autographs for wrestling fans if they could recite the names of all of the United States Presidents in chronological order. On several instances, he assaulted wrestlers and other WWF employees and placed them in the crossface chickenwing. These victims include Jim Ross, Duke "The Dumpster" Droese, WWF Magazine writer Lou Gianfriddo, and his former manager Arnold Skaaland, who he blamed for costing him the WWF Heavyweight Championship in 1983.

On November 23, 1994, at the Survivor Series pay-per-view in San Antonio, Texas, Backlund faced Bret Hart in a special submission match for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship where the only way for a wrestler to win was to have the opponent's valet, like Arnold Skaaland did for Backlund over a decade earlier, stop the match by throwing a towel into the ring. Backlund began displaying a white towel that he claimed was the same one that was thrown into the ring the night he lost to The Iron Sheik. To serve as his second for the match, Backlund paired up with Owen Hart, the brother and chief rival of the reigning champion who had tried and failed multiple times that year to wrest the belt from Bret.

Late in the match, as Backlund was locked in Hart's trademark Sharpshooter submission, Owen entered the ring and attacked Bret from behind to cause him to break the hold. Bret's cornerman for the match, Davey Boy Smith, chased Owen around the ring only to collide head first with the ring stairs. When Bret turned around to argue with his brother, Backlund took advantage and locked the crossface chickenwing on the champion. Hart fought the hold for an unprecedented eight-and-a-half minutes, but refused to give up.

Since Smith was unconscious on the floor, he was unable to save Hart. Owen took advantage by picking up the pink and black towel Smith carried and, feigning concern for the well being of his brother, approached his father Stu and his mother Helen who were seated at ringside. As Backlund continued to cinch in the crossface chickenwing in the ring, Owen pleaded for his parents to stop the match. Stu refused, not trusting Owen's motives. Helen, however, did not want to see Bret risk further injury and she grabbed the towel and threw it into the ring. Backlund was awarded the championship and celebrated in the ring while Owen rejoiced in finally having cost his brother the championship. After the match, Backlund conducted a brief interview which he concluded by screaming how he felt "like God".[1][7]

Backlund's second reign as WWF World Heavyweight Champion was brief, as he lost the title three days later to Diesel at a non-televised show in Madison Square Garden,[7] the site of many of Backlund's victories in the 1970s and 1980s. Diesel kicked Backlund in the stomach, hit him with a Jackknife Powerbomb and pinned him in eight seconds.[1] For weeks afterwards, fans jeered Backlund with chants of "Eight seconds! Eight seconds!". In a 2005 interview for the Pro Wrestling Torch, Kevin Nash (a.k.a. Diesel) recalled how Backlund sold his Jackknife Powerbomb by crawling up the aisleway, back to the dressing room area of the Garden. Nash said, "He couldn't have put me over any stronger". This match was the last time the WWF World Heavyweight Championship changed hands at a non-televised event, and aside from Money in the Bank cash-ins, this match remains the shortest WWF title match ever; in fact, it would be tied by Randy Orton cashing in his Money in the Bank contract on Daniel Bryan at the 2013 SummerSlam.

After the title loss, Backlund wrestled progressively less often, never again reaching main event status. One of his final WWF matches was an "I Quit" match against Bret Hart at WrestleMania XI on April 2, 1995 which Backlund lost, even though he never actually said "I quit", instead screaming unintelligibly into the microphone, which special guest referee Roddy Piper seemed to interpret as "I quit".[29]

Following WrestleMania, the WWF ran an angle in which Backlund declared his candidacy for President of the United States. Several vignettes aired, featuring Backlund preaching socially conservative values, and one showed him campaigning at a beach. Backlund also confronted a Bill Clinton impersonator who was seated at ringside at the 1995 Survivor Series. This angle was quietly dropped before it reached a conclusion.

From 1995 to 1996, Backlund went to mid to low card status. He lost to Bret Hart by disqualification on Monday Night Raw on November 21. That would be his last TV appearance.[30] He continued to appear in house shows. He lost to Savio Vega in a dark match at In Your House 5 and competed in the Royal Rumble getting eliminated by Yokozuna. This would be his last Pay-Per-View appearance. His last match was a lost to Savio Vega on May 19 at Madison Square Garden.[31]

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A lot of people might complain #34 is too low considering he had a title run but that sounds right to me. He was really only relevant for four months in '94 (and a few minutes in the '93 Rumble). After he got squashed by Diesel, his schtick wore off almost immediately (to the point where he got replaced by Double J in house show main events) and he just became an annoying mid carder that gave Bret Hart his worst WWF PPV match.

That being said, said four month run from July to November '94 absolutely warrants him getting this spot on the list.

KVE would have been a prime candidate for all that rehab money WWE is throwing around in the 21st century, if only he could have made it that long. Even though I only knew him as "The Texas Tornado" as a kid (did not watch prior) I liked the character. To echo @The Valeyard , looking at the footage NOW, is scary to look into his eyes with the hindsight we have.
I had never heard of this match before today but it's a recap of KVE wrestling absolutely blitzed against The Model
Rick Martel deserves a spot on Top 50 for having to work with the Drunknado here. If it's not the most hammered I've seen someone wrestle, it's a solid #2 behind Jake Roberts at Heroes of Wrestling.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
A lot of people might complain #34 is too low considering he had a title run but that sounds right to me. He was really only relevant for four months in '94 (and a few minutes in the '93 Rumble). After he got squashed by Diesel, his schtick wore off almost immediately (to the point where he got replaced by Double J in house show main events) and he just became an annoying mid carder that gave Bret Hart his worst WWF PPV match.
Thirty years ago, I would have sworn to you, on my life, that it would be literally impossible for Bret Hart and Bob Backlund to have a bad match. :oops:

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Their first two TV matches on Superstars in July '94 and at Survivor Series '94 were good too. Still not sure why they bombed so hard at WrestleMania XI. I guess a mugging, unnecessary Roddy Piper guest reffing hurt it a bit from the get go.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I always felt bad for Kerry in that he seemed like a good dude but wrestling ruined his life. Granted, a lot of messed up shit happened to him (his brothers dying, motorcycle accident, etc.) that could have pushed anyone over the edge, but it's just a sad story over all.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
A little surprised to see Rude get on the list given his small body of work. I assume being in a main event/WWF title feud is heavily weighted?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hey, you disgusting out of shape sweat hog, there is nothing small about that mans body, thank you very much.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Bret/Backlund at Survivor Series has wound up being a favorite of mine, although I'm probably in the minority. The booking of both of them after was fucking stupid.

Backlund is fucking awesome in the 93 Rumble too.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
33. Rick Martel

Rick_Martel_pro.png

The Model (1989–1995)[edit]
In late 1989, Martel adopted a narcissistic gimmick, as "The Model". In 1990, Martel made his pay-per-view singles match debut at WrestleMania VI at the Skydome in Toronto, where he defeated Koko B. Ware via submission with his signature Boston Crab.[15]

Martel's most high-profile feud during his stint as "The Model" was with Jake "The Snake" Roberts, sparked when he blinded Roberts with Arrogance on "The Brother Love Show" in October 1990. Martel and Roberts captained opposing teams at the Survivor Series. "The Visionaries" (Martel, The Warlord and Power and Glory) defeated The Vipers (Roberts, Superfly Jimmy Snuka and The Rockers) in a 4-0 clean sweep, the first time this had happened in Survivor Series history. In the 1990 Survivor Series (unlike previous editions), the heel survivors faced off against the babyface survivors in a grand final "Match Of Survival". The Visionaries" teamed with "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase to face Tito Santana, Hulk Hogan and WWF World Heavyweight Champion The Ultimate Warrior. Martel was eliminated from the match after he got himself counted out by abandoning his team after receiving beatings from both Hogan and The Warrior.[16] Martel continued to have the upper hand over Roberts in the 1991 Royal Rumble match, eliminating Roberts from the match en route to lasting (a then-record) 53 minutes, before being eliminated by The British Bulldog.[17] Roberts would ultimately get his revenge at WrestleMania VII, defeating Martel in a blindfold match. For the rest of 1991, Martel represented the WWF on Japanese tours for Super World Sports. In December 1991, he lost to Naoki Sano in a match to determine the inaugural SWS Junior Heavyweight Champion.

In early 1992, Martel began a feud with Tatanka, leading to WrestleMania VIII, where Tatanka pinned him.[18] He went on to work against Santana on house shows that spring.

That summer, Martel had a brief feud with Shawn Michaels, as both men sought the affections of Sensational Sherri. The feud ended with a chain of events that resulted in a double countout at SummerSlam 1992 held at the Wembley Stadium in London, England in front of what remains the SummerSlam record attendance of 80,355. The match carried a "no punching in the face" stipulation, mutually agreed upon and eventually disregarded by the two narcissistic heels.[19]

Martel then resumed his rivalry with Tatanka by stealing his sacred eagle feathers, to add to his wardrobe. The feud was resolved at the 1992 Survivor Series, where Tatanka again defeated Martel and reclaimed the feathers.[20]

By 1993, Martel mainly appeared on the lower undercard, and rarely on television, mostly on programs such as All-American Wrestling and Wrestling Challenge. However, at the September 27 Monday Night Raw taping, he was the co-winner (with Razor Ramon) of a battle royal (aired October 4) to decide the competitors in a match for the vacant Intercontinental Championship. He lost that match (aired the next week) to Ramon.[21] After this, Martel began moving slightly up the card once again. Martel also briefly feuded with Bastion Booger, losing one of their matches when he got fed up with how Booger smelled and started spraying him with his Arrogance cologne. Martel also appeared at Survivor Series 1993 in a 4-4 elimination match, being eliminated by The 1-2-3 Kid and in the 1994 Royal Rumble as the 26th entrant before getting eliminated by his old rival Tatanka. Martel was set to appear in a ten-man tag team match at Wrestlemania X but the match was cancelled during the show due to the show running out of time. The match was later held on RAW, with Martel's team victorious.

By the summer of 1994, Martel dropped out of the WWF picture and would not be seen again until participating in the 1995 Royal Rumble (he was a substitute for Jim Neidhart).[22] Martel's final appearance came the following month at a house show in Montreal, as his wrestling career began to slow as Martel pursued a career in real estate.

In a shoot interview with RF video, Martel claimed that he and Don Callis were set to return to the WWF as 'The Supermodels' in 1997, before Callis turned on Martel, turning him face for the first time since 1989. However, after a pay dispute with WWF owner Vince McMahon, Martel signed with World Championship Wrestling (WCW). Callis confirmed that he and Martel were set to debut as a team during an interview with WWE.com in 2015.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
34. Bob Backlund

Bob_Backlund_pro.png
Mr. Bob Backlund hit a friend of mine up for a drink during 'mania 34 weekend in one of the bars on Bourbon St. My friend's internal monologue was some level of pity that Backlund was reduced to this, and bought the drink. In response, Backlund bought the next round for THE ENTIRE BAR! Friend theorizes that it was a test to see what he'd do and he said "I guess I passed his test, whole bar got a free round because I bought Backlund a single beer." So, whatever on his career, that's a cool ass story of him as a human.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Martel was a quiet MVP for ages. Dude was really good and always over, and really should've gotten the IC belt at some point because he was the most consistent guy for years. The stuff with Jake and Razor are the highlights for me, especially the Razor match and the preceding battle royal. Blindfold match is a perfect match for a live crowd, and seeing it shit on always rubbed me the wrong way because it was total sports entertainment panto that made both guys look good.

I also gotta say he and Shawn at Summerslam '92 is fantastic all around. Both Martels showed ass.

OG

OG
Reaction score
This doesn't count for this list but I also really liked Martel's run in 1998 WCW. He got over as always and legitimately looked like he hadn't lost step over the years. Really sad that he blew his knee out, could've had another year or two of solid matches.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
32. Faarooq

MV5BOGFhMmYxZmQtMjg4YS00OTkwLThiZGQtODU0NTEzZDJmNjk0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUzOTQ5MjY@._V1_.jpg

Nation of Domination (1996–1998)[edit]
Main article: The Nation of Domination
After ECW, Simmons joined the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) and made his debut on the July 22, 1996, episode of Monday Night Raw. His first gimmick was that of Faarooq Asad, a gladiator who wore a black and blue gladiator outfit with a misshaped helmet and was managed by Sunny. Simmons started his first feud with Ahmed Johnson before shortening his ring name to Faarooq. The feud was started when Faarooq attacked Ahmed during a tag team match pitting Johnson and Shawn Michaels against the Smoking Gunns. As a result of the injuries sustained, Johnson vacated the Intercontinental title. In the subsequent tournament, Faarooq lost in finals to Marc Mero. Faarooq dropped his gladiator gimmick, parted ways with Sunny and formed the Nation of Domination (NOD), a stable loosely based on the Nation of Islam[citation needed] and the Black Panther Party[citation needed], although the members of the stable were not exclusively African American. They mostly feuded with Ahmed Johnson. At the Royal Rumble 1997, Faarooq defeated Johnson by disqualification. In the Royal Rumble match, Johnson eliminated himself when he saw Faarooq in the aisle and chased after him. Later in the same match Faarooq was eliminated when Johnson returned and attacked him with a 2x4. At WrestleMania 13 Johnson recruited the Legion of Doom in a winning effort against the entire Nation in a Chicago Street Fight.

After losing to WWF World Champion, The Undertaker, at the 1997 King of the Ring, Faarooq blamed Crush and Savio Vega for his loss and threw them out of the NOD. Both formed their rival factions, known respectively as The Disciples of Apocalypse and Los Boricuas, and Faarooq recruited more African American members for the Nation, including half-Samoan Rocky Maivia. The three stables feuded with one another throughout 1997. In the Summer of 1997 Faarooq again lost a tournament final for the Intercontinental title, this time to Owen Hart after Stone Cold Steve Austin interfered. Austin, who had forfeited the title due an injury inflicted by Hart, wanted Hart to win so he could again beat him for the title.

In early 1998, Faarooq's leadership of the NOD was increasingly challenged by Maivia, who had shortened his name to The Rock and felt he should be the leader as he was now Intercontinental Champion. In the Royal Rumble match, all five NOD members were in the ring at the same time and frequently brawled with each other, Faarooq even eliminating his fellow members D'lo Brown and Mark Henry; he was one of the final three along with the Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin. Faarooq wanted the Rock to help him eliminate Austin but the Rock refused and eliminated Faarooq. The following month at No Way Out, the Nation of Domination lost a 10-man tag to Ken Shamrock, Ahmed Johnson, Chainz, Skull and 8 ball when Rock submitted to an ankle lock by Shamrock. After the match Faarooq and Rock almost came to blows. At Wrestlemania XIV, Faarooq and Kama were unsuccessful in the tag team battle royal. Later in the evening, Faarooq was the only NOD member absent from Rock's title defense against Ken Shamrock. When Shamrock put Rock in an ankle lock, Faarooq ran down to the ring but decided against helping him and walked off, with the crowd cheering his decision. The following night on RAW, Rock assumed leadership of the NOD and kicked Faarooq out of the group. Faarooq spent the next several months feuding with his former stablemates.

Acolytes[edit]
Main article: The Acolytes Protection Agency
After being dumped from the Nation, Faarooq feuded with the Rock but failed to win the Intercontinental title. Simmons then teamed briefly with 2 Cold Scorpio. In late 1998, Simmons began teaming with Bradshaw as The Acolytes, a violent tag team sporting occult symbolism on their tights and chests. They were managed by The Jackyl until he left the WWF, at which point they were reintroduced as members of The Ministry of Darkness led by The Undertaker. The Acolytes recruited Phineas I. Godwinn and Mabel to the Ministry by kidnapping and brainwashing them (renaming them Mideon and Viscera, respectively), and feuded with The Undertaker's rivals, such as D-Generation X and The Brood, the latter of which later joined the Ministry as well.

During this time the Acolytes had two short reigns as tag team champions; they defeated the team of Kane and X-Pac but lost the title to the Hardy Boyz. At the Fully Loaded pay-per-view in 1999, they won the title back in a no disqualification handicap match against the Hardyz and Michael Hayes. Their second reign ended when they lost the title to Kane and X-Pac.

Reactions: SFH

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Great heel character that I feel like came along at the worst possible time, with Bret having freshly turned heel and delivering arguably his best character work, Shawn at his all-time douchiest and the Rock's career taking off at his expense. In most other eras his career is remembered much more fondly instead of mainly as JBL's tag partner.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Faarooq being handcuffed to Ahmed for literally his whole singles run was the problem more than anything. Except for the all too brief stuff with Rock, he was just always fighting Ahmed (when he was healthy). I didn't buy him as a top guy at all because he never seemed to do anything not related to Ahmed and I had no faith in anything he did not winding up with him vs Ahmed. Typical WWF Black Dude Booking hurt him so bad. He got wasted as maybe the number two heel for most of 1997. Certainly the biggest that wasn't a Hart. I wish he'd kept the facial hair during this run because Simmons with no facial hair makes him look much older, but that's my stupid fan bullshit.

I'll also blame Vince for crippling him out of the gate, not just with the stupid gladiator shit but by deliberately booking him against guys bigger. Gladiator Faarooq standing next to Sid made him look extremely bad, for instance.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The hindsight this thread is giving me on Farooq is surprising. I assumed he had a great singles career, that's how I saw it at the time, but you are all right. He really was mishandled. Mandela effect? I remember him having the IC Title at some point in his feud with Ahmed. Weird.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Faarooq is the guy who forced Ahmed to vacate it after breaking his kidney. It's why the tournament happened and Mero beat him in the finals, which in hindsight too is kind of a questionable move. I just remember him not looking good during the tournament itself. The Sunny era was not a good time.

I know for sure he and Owen had a match for Austin's vacated title but Owen won because he just had to.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Sunny is the curse that keeps on giving.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
31. Sean Waltman (1-2-3 Kid/X-Pac)

Xpac_pro.png

Tag Team Champion (1993–1995)[edit]
As The Lightning Kid, Waltman had his WWF tryout match in Phoenix, Arizona, the day after WrestleMania IX, against fellow hopeful Louie Spicolli (soon known as Rad Radford in the WWF). He reminisced that he was lucky to have an opponent with a vested interest in an impressive match, rather than (as was then typical) a disinterested WWF veteran jobber like Virgil or Jim Powers.[8]

After earning a contract, he made his TV debut as The Kamikaze Kid on Monday Night Raw on May 3, losing to Doink the Clown.[14] He quickly became The Cannonball Kid, then simply The Kid. He scored an upset pinfall on Razor Ramon on the May 17 episode of Monday Night Raw, thus becoming The 1–2–3 Kid.[1][13] Razor challenged him to a rematch, wagering $2,500, then $5000 and finally $10,000 of his own money. Kid accepted the challenge, but grabbed the money and ran from the arena during the match. Ted DiBiase, who was feuding with Razor, taunted him over losing to a nobody. This angered Kid, and led to a match in which he upset DiBiase as well. Razor turned face shortly after and took Kid under his wing.[1] The 1–2–3 Kid made his pay-per-view debut at SummerSlam, losing to DiBiase's tag partner Irwin R. Schyster after Razor had defeated DiBiase. At Survivor Series, Kid was on Razor's team in a four-on-four elimination match. He and Marty Jannetty were the sole survivors, which led to them forming a tag team and holding the Tag Team Championship for a week in January 1994 after beating The Quebecers.

For the next two years, The 1–2–3 Kid was a natural underdog and fan favorite. He wrestled Bret Hart in an unusually long (for the time) and highly acclaimed match for the WWF World Heavyweight Championship on July 11, 1994 on Raw[15] and had another brief (one-day) tag title reign in January 1995, with Bob Holly beating Bam Bam Bigelow and Tatanka at the 1995 Royal Rumble before losing to The Smoking Gunns on Raw.

Million Dollar Corporation (1995–1996)[edit]
Main article: Million Dollar Corporation
After Kid and Razor failed to win back the Tag Team Championship from Billy Gunn and Bart Gunn in October 1995, Kid attacked the face Gunns after the match to tease a heel turn. On the Raw before the 1995 Survivor Series in November, he was the guest referee in a match between Razor Ramon and Sycho Sid. As Razor attempted his finisher, The Razor's Edge, Kid pulled Sid down from Razor, allowing Sid to then hit Razor with his Powerbomb, and Kid fast-counted the pinfall, thus turning heel. At Summerslam 1995, he lost to Hakushi but won a rematch in November after Ted DiBiase interfered. He was the sole survivor of his Survivor Series match, besting rival Marty Jannetty. Razor and Marty would team up to beat Kid and Sid at In Your House 5.

After Survivor Series, Kid joined Ted DiBiase's Million Dollar Corporation faction.[13] He remained with the group until May 1996 when Waltman left the WWF. He lost a "Crybaby match" to Razor Ramon at In Your House 6. The 1–2–3 Kid's final WWF match aired on the May 20 episode of Monday Night Raw; he lost to Savio Vega. Notably, Waltman was the only Kliq member not involved in the infamous "Curtain Call" that took place at Madison Square Garden the night before his final match from his first WWF run aired, as he was in drug rehab at the time and thus didn't participate.[16]

D-Generation X (1998–2000)[edit]
Main article: D-Generation X
Waltman returned to WWF TV on the March 30, 1998 episode of Monday Night Raw, the night after WrestleMania XIV and days after his firing from WCW.[3][13] With Shawn Michaels beginning a four-year retirement after a WWF World Heavyweight Championship loss and back injury, Triple H was now the leader of D-Generation X (DX). He said he was forming a DX army and "when you start an army, you look to your blood... you look to your buddies... you look to your friends... you look to The Kliq."[3] Waltman appeared on the stage, commented on Bischoff and Hogan, and said if they weren't contracted to WCW, Hall and Nash would have also returned to the WWF.[3][13] Bischoff responded on Nitro the next week by telling Waltman to "bite me".[21]

Initially called "The Kid" on the WWF website, he became known as X-Pac by the next Raw. X-Pac feuded with Jeff Jarrett, ultimately defeating him in a hair-vs-hair match at SummerSlam, then with WWF European Champion D'Lo Brown, whom he dethroned on September 21, 1998. He re-lost the title to Brown two weeks later, then won it again at Judgment Day: In Your House in October.[13] Waltman lost the title to Shane McMahon on February 15, 1999.[22] At WrestleMania XV, he lost a championship rematch when Triple H betrayed him, and hit him with his Pedigree finisher.[1]

X-Pac then sided with Road Dogg against Triple H, Chyna and Billy Gunn, after the temporary demise of DX. X-Pac and Road Dogg wanted a reformed DX to be about rebellion, while the others wanted it to be about making money.[1] X-Pac befriended Kane, a mute, angry loner whom he partially socialized and encouraged to speak, through an electrolarynx. They won the WWF Tag Team Championship twice together.[23] After DX reunited in late 1999 as a heel group, X-Pac led Kane to believe he would be inducted into DX, but instead betrayed him and eventually stole his new girlfriend, Tori.[13]