Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WCCW TV

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
My uncle bought me a PWI for my 5th birthday (IIRC) He did so for the Hogan/Andre WM 3 coverage, but the issue also covered Mike Von Erich's funeral, complete with pics of the casket and Kerry on crutches, etc.
Who has time for Cat in the Hat when I can read about Drug overdose suicides?
Probably just a small part of why I became what I am.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's the Hulk Hogan that your mom says you have at home.

Where does '87 WCCW rank for worst years from a major US promotion, Brod? John McAdam talks about it on his pod with the level of disdain usually reserved for late era AWA or early '90s WWF.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hard to say without seeing some of the other rare promotions dying days.
- The WWA (Bruiser) stuff I have from like 1983 is god awful
- LaBell had an actual factory grown "monster" in 1981. He lost his rubber mask in a match with Andre supposedly.
- Was it Shire who lost all his talent and had to use Portland's in Cali? Buddy Rose got pissed and exposed kayfabe over the P.A. system at one of his shows.
- Stampede never wows me post WWF buy out. The stories Ed Whalen seemed to sink a lot of ideas that made TV and it had to be mind boggling to watch this unfold in real time.
Etc etc

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
AWA Sid makes a lot of sense for 1988-89. But I legit would love a show built around green Sid, Vader, Zenk, and DJ Peterson.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Sid/Larry would be those matches that aren't good but would make Sid better for having them.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

It's interesting that David's heel Florida run used to be seen as David pushing back against Fritz' wishes to have his kids all be heroes (and sets David up with proof he can be a heel NWA champ). But then that clip started floating around with Fritz cutting a heel promo with David and Kerry at his side.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
John Arezzi podcast on the 30th anniversary of the death of Kerry Von Erich, featuring interviews with Kevin Von Erich and former WCCW referee James Beard.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Fuck yeah WCCW legend Kelly Kiniski.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

You can be skeptical of Manning's tall tales. His version of PPV that may have been mentioned in 1984 would likely have been a localized version. I believe Verne ran something similar for the Twin Cities cable/PPV circuit in 83 where a show was offered on a very localized level.
Had WCCW tried a national PPV as Manning hints around at, JCP would have likely pulled Flair (Kerry's win was ignored to promote the Night of Champions as it was).
Watts may or may not have allowed JYD to do the shot as well.
If the big boys pulled their talent back, I can see Jarrett and his roster of raw future stars working out a talent swap to beef up the card.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Manning is a liar. Just in general.

Does he address how he was signing David merch for months after he died?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Kevin's creepy. I could not feel more for a person and his life breaks my heart but he's also still a total carny who is definitely his father's son. I'd LOVE a show like this but I don't think it would be anything different than he's said in 30 years, maybe more whitewashing with regard to his dad or the business or something. He's just this unreliable narrator.

The sleazy aspects are why people go to this and he won't address those.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fritz may have been a poor father figure in some sense, but his business/money mind must have been on point.
He sold WCCW as soon as things went sour instead of throwing good money after bad and his other land deals and what not must have left Kevin (and Doris) with a good chunk if they could afford Hawaii's expenses tied to owning land, etc.

Kevin Von Eric is returning to Texas for the first time in two decades. The Dallas Morning News reports that Von Erich is buying a 60-acre ranch in Dallas, as confirmed by his daughter Kristen Nikolas.

The deal on the ranch will close at the end of the month and all 14 members of the family will move to Texas with him from Hawaii, where they have lived for the last 20 years. The family will retain their property in Kauai.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Out of context, Fritz makes a cringey comment here towards Mike. And then if you overcome the icky feeling from that, then they pull out Chris. Sigh.

3rd Cotton Bowl Extravaganza

October 12, 1986 in Dallas, TX
Cotton Bowl drawing 5,835 ($71,729)
  1. Scott Casey pinned The Grappler (8:10).

2. WCCW Tag Champs Matt Borne & Buzz Sawyer beat Steve Simpson & Dingo Warrior via DQ.

3. Crusher Yurkoff pinned Brian Adias (9:24).

4. Mike Von Erich pinned Spike Johnson (6:21).

5. Chris & Mark Youngblood beat Brad & Bart Batten (9:02).

6. Ricky Steamboat pinned Mighty Zulu.

7. Kevin Von Erich pinned Black Bart (6:22) to win the WCCW Title.

8. Bruiser Brody pinned Abdullah the Butcher in a "steel cage" match. Fritz Von Erich was the special referee.