Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WCCW TV

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was it ever explained why WWF lent Steamboat out for that show? Just seems very unusual for that era (or really most any era of WWF while VKM has been in charge).

Given timeframe, I wonder WWF promised Andre not knowing he'd be off filming The Princess Bride and gave them Steamboat as a substitute?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Was it ever explained why WWF lent Steamboat out for that show? Just seems very unusual for that era (or really most any era of WWF while VKM has been in charge).

Given timeframe, I wonder WWF promised Andre not knowing he'd be off filming The Princess Bride and gave them Steamboat as a substitute?
I'll check my notes in the AM, but I believe George Scott had taken over WCCW booking after Hogan finally forced him out of the WWF but the WWF was willing to feed some talent to WCCW for whatever reason due to the Scott ties. Steamboat was the only person who made a shot before the portal closed. Arcidi and George Wells arrived around that time, but their WWF runs were done.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At one point, yeah and I think after he got involved in ECW, they were still going to have a working relationship with each other. However, I would assume Shane Douglas throwing the NWA World Title down soured it permanently. I think this Crocket 2.0 limped into ‘95 IIRC.

Appeal of late era Greg Valentine is strong, I tell ya!

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yep. It’s one of the only examples of pro wrestling being ahead of the times. HDTV didn't really become widely available in the US until the early '00s. How tf did they think anyone except AV nerds would care about it in 1994.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Not sure why they kept running stadiums after the bottom fell out of the business.
I'd also love to know why they decided to make Bigelow a Russian.
As I've probably already stated in this thread or wherever, the Apters noted having Kevin as champ was welcome after the "World" title was on the likes of Black Bart.

3rd Cotton Bowl Extravaganza

October 12, 1986 in Dallas, TX
Cotton Bowl drawing 5,835 ($71,729)
  1. Scott Casey pinned The Grappler (8:10).

2. WCCW Tag Champs Matt Borne & Buzz Sawyer beat Steve Simpson & Dingo Warrior via DQ.

3. Crusher Yurkoff pinned Brian Adias (9:24).

4. Mike Von Erich pinned Spike Johnson (6:21).

5. Chris & Mark Youngblood beat Brad & Bart Batten (9:02).

6. Ricky Steamboat pinned Mighty Zulu.

7. Kevin Von Erich pinned Black Bart (6:22) to win the WCCW Title.

8. Bruiser Brody pinned Abdullah the Butcher in a "steel cage" match. Fritz Von Erich was the special referee.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sigh.

Chris was Marko Stunt size. Had he held on 2 more years the smaller guy talent was finally allowed to break through and at least become tape trading darlings.

Hell, Heyman probably could have cooked up something good with a disgruntled Von Erich brother who was too small to be a star, and cursed with Kerry, Mike and David's deaths.

But Chris' asthma meds not only made him short, but gave him brittle bones, so he wasn't going to hold up to the bumps either way.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Yeah he was made out of popsicle sticks. Probably would've been a great ref, though.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Chris Von Erich needed ten years at least, maybe twenty. Spike was a skinny anomaly but even he was three inches taller.

I've always wondered about the brittleness thing. Did he have a medical diagnosis or did people just say that because he got hurt in the ring?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Some people can't take that abuse so it wouldn't shock me if he just wasn't built for wrestling. If anything I'd be a little surprised if he had been diagnosed with anything because I can't see Fritz wanting to know

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Hour 17 mins in and things get awesome.
Santa comes to ringside during a Von Erich vs Roberts/Gordy tag title match. A ringside fan snags Santa's hat and the fans realize it is Michael Hayes and try to get that cocksucker. Security pours into ringside to cull a riot.
Santa isn't supposed to be exposed yet so Bill Mercer has to try and pussy foot around it.
The Von Erichs win during the chaos anyway and Santa joins them to celebrate, only to attack them.
--
David Von Erich (6 weeks left to live) battles Flair for the NWA title in the main event.