Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestlemania 25

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
You're welcome if that's sincere, and "there's directions on doing that in a "New Layout Questions" thread" if that's a sarcastic "thanks for not telling me how, dick!" response.

Gotta love the internet...

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DrVenkman PhD said:
I did chuckle at Gail Kim being ID'd as "one of the Bella Twins has been eliminated".

At least JR didn't scream Au Revoir at her.

Also, I'm pretty sure she wasn't supposed to eliminate herself there. She was definitely trying to hang on, but Victoria was laying directly in the spot she was supposed to land on the apron, and had to go down.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
I noticed the person I assumed was Sunny seemed a bit pissed too, hanging around after her elimination to get non-existent screen time with Torrie Wilson after she was eliminated. Apparently showing a large collection of nothing happening was more important than showing two people who made a special effort to show up.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The wwe.com pictures of the battle royal are almost exclusively of Beth Phoenix, Michelle McCool and Santino. I will assume Sunny, Torrie Wilson and Molly Holly were just imposters until I'm proven wrong.

eta: Well shut my mouth, they added a "backstage beauties" section. Still only shows about 5 women but Molly Holly and Sunny are amongst them. Molly is still fucking adorable.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/showphotos/backstagebeauties/

Reaction score
World Wrestling Entertainment issued the following press release this morning:

WrestleMania(R) Record Sellout

HOUSTON, Apr 05, 2009 -- World Wrestling Entertainment(R) set a new record tonight at Reliant Stadium in Houston for the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania, grossing $6.9 million in revenue. This is the highest grossing live event in WWE history. With 72,744 in attendance, the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania surpassed SuperBowl XLIII in Tampa (70,774 attendance). WWE(R) fans from all 50 states, 24 countries and 7 Canadian Provinces attended the pop culture extravaganza.

"The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania proved that everything is indeed bigger in Texas," said John Saboor, Senior Vice President, Special Events, World Wrestling Entertainment. "The great city of Houston welcomed WWE fans from around the world and helped make WWE history as the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania was our biggest ever."

WrestleMania XXVI will take place at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, AZ on Sunday, March 28, 2010. Ticket information will be announced later this year.

pwi

Impressive..........

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Sunny looks great compared to how she's looked in the past. I saw some pictures of her from an indy show after Candido died where she looked pretty good then. Hopefully she keeps in shape and somewhat clean. I'd really love to see her get another run in the WWE, she deserves that much, but I won't hold my breath.

Jackie Gayda looks completely different.

Jillian Hall needs to lay off the the colligen. Hideous.

They really fucked up on Gail Kim's return, huh? She went from being a breakout star in TNA, as much as is capable of in that promotion, to being an afterthought.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The only thing they've fucked up with Gail Kim's return so far was the timing.

Smackdown doesn't have any face divas that can actually wrestle, so she should be on the top there in no time.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Perfxion said:
One thing to note, it took an hour just to leave the parking lot. That fucking sucks. As they only allowed three exits on a place holding over 70K people.

I know exactly how you feel. I was at WM19 and it was the same way. I think it took us an hour to get out of the lot and close to another hour to get the few miles to the freeway we needed to be on. Frustrating.

Papacita

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They really fucked up on Gail Kim's return, huh? She went from being a breakout star in TNA, as much as is capable of in that promotion, to being an afterthought.

Well, I doubt many people even recognized her during all that mess, so it's not like they can't bounce back.

And Venk, no offense meant by that last post. I was just fucking around, hence the smiley.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
Here's an awesome moment I forgot to mention: Cena spotting that dude who travels around to various Raws and PPVs in anti-Cena shirts and mugging for the camera with him, smiling away. Dude looked pretty pissed.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Can we please end the Mark Henry hate after tonight... everyone thought his fat ass was gonna drag down MiTB, but he played his part well.

Also, Finlay busting out his old jacket was fucking awesome.

I gotta watch the Legends match and Taker/HBK. I have no interest in the main event or LOLtino

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
HBK/Taker was real good but I don't think it was as good as ***** like I've seen around the net. Taker's horrible awkward, match stopping jump botch alone should knock it down some.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
I didn't really feel that Taker landing on his head took anything away from the match, and everything after that was untouchable. Definitely the best match I've seen in quite a while.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
That's what we call an "Alfdogg".

KOAB said:
Can we please end the Mark Henry hate after tonight... everyone thought his fat ass was gonna drag down MiTB, but he played his part well.

Not for nothing, but Henry's very first spot of the match - charging the corner - was done in slow motion and he already looked winded. He did fine after that though.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
KOAB said:
Taker Hayabusa'd himself?
He tried to do an over-the-top-rope suicide dive on a cameraman who was way too far back to be trying a suicide dive on...the guy was at least half a step away from being on the padding. Miracle Taker didn't knock himself out. More of a JT Smith than a Hayabusa.

Come to think of it, without Kid Rock and all the "omg is he going to get counted out" spots we had in HHH/Orton and Taker/HBK, probably could've easily fit the tag title unification match into the show.

Ed Wood Caulfield

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Here's something I'm wondering: What's next for HBK, Jericho and Undertaker? All of the other feuds I'm sure will continue after WrestleMania, but for those three guys, tonight was the end.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The draft is next week so they'll have fresh people all over to work with.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Man, Piper and Steamboat were awesome. Pleasant surprise to see the crowd that fucking hot for Ricky and I felt all warm and fuzzy.

Isn't there a PPV coming up in Chicago? Why do I have the feeling they're going to try and have Punk prove himself as being able to win the belt against a fresh opponent only to come up short in his hometown?

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
I suspect new feuds are in a holding pattern until next week's Raw so we probably won't know until after that show.

KOBA said:
Isn't there a PPV coming up in Chicago? Why do I have the feeling they're going to try and have Punk prove himself as being able to win the belt against a fresh opponent only to come up short in his hometown?

Yeah, Judgment Day is in Chicago.

Ed Wood Caulfield

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KOAB said:

Yes, that does seem quite possible. Judgment Day is only a month away.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
KOAB said:

His balancing the ladder while Kofi scaled it and made a grab for the briefcase, then almost catching Kofi, then powerslamming him on a ladder was one of the highpoints of the match.

Teasing him doing a suicide dive at the end of the car crash segment was great too, for a second I thought he was really going to do it

I thought it had the makings of a nice touch that a couple times he cleaned house and was in the ring with a ladder in position to climb and then would just fold it up and whack a dude with it, but the announcers didn't really sell it that great, JR tried but didn't seem to know quite what to make of it, and there needed to be a "MARK HENRY IS FINALLY CLIMBING THE LADDER" moment late in the match. Maybe that was in the plans and they just never got around to it, got the call to go home and Henry was told to just stay clear of the action or whatever, it's a pretty chaotic match and I can see them having a laundry list of ideas that don't necessarily end up working in the context of whatever is going on.

Come to think of it, there wasn't a whole lot of believable teases of guys almost getting the briefcase, which is something a match like that really needs to put it over the top

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yall mothafuckas see Frank Shamrock with Mickey Rourke?

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hopefully they start fresh programs after mania this year instead of rehashing the same old feuds throughout the spring and summer. The draft being so early shows they are going in that direction

Scroby

Low rent Indy Referee
Reaction score
If Wrestlemania was a regular pay per view it would have been a solid pay per view....but this was suppose to be a Wrestlemania and for a Wrestlemania, it was a huge let down. It just didn't have that Wrestlemania feeling, I guess is the best way to put it. The only matches that gave me that feeling was MitB, Jericho vs Legends (Steamboat only), and Undertaker vs HBK. Everything else I just didn't care about. After the Undertaker vs HBK I was honestly ready to call it a night.

I don't want to call it a bad Wrestlemania, because it really wasn't a bad Wrestlemania. Most of the matches were pretty solid, however the show just didn't have the Wrestlemania feel to it. I think it's due mainly to the two campionship title main events. They were two matches we've already seen and the World title match was already a match we've seen to many times and while Orton vs HHH wasn't a match we've seen to many times, I don't think anyone was really hyped to see it.

Hopefully Wrestlemania 26 will have that Wrestlemania feel to it, but for that happen WWE really needs to change whose in the WWE and World title matches to help get that feeling for the next Wrestlemania.

Jebus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Scroby said:
Hopefully Wrestlemania 26 will have that Wrestlemania feel to it, but for that happen WWE really needs to change whose in the WWE and World title matches to help get that feeling for the next Wrestlemania.

This.
They can give Punk & Jeff Hardy the World Titles all they want and claim they're elevating people but, come Mania time, they only trust a select few and it's becoming stale. What variation of HHH, Orton, Cena, Edge (& Batista barring ANOTHER injury) will we get next year?

Jebus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't get to enjoy them on the PPV so...
07_MOLL_0044b.jpg
20_MOLL_0035b.jpg

and
11_SUNNY_0051b.jpg
24_SUNNY_0033b.jpg

The other returns were Victoria, Miss Jackie Haas, Joy Giovanni & Torrie Wilson...Pics on wwe.com