Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watching the first Superstars of '95 on the 'Cock and they explain that the Smoking Gunns had to withdraw from the WWF Tag Team Titles tournament because Bart Gunn suffering a knee injury when his HORSE FELL ON HIM!

During the 123 Kid & Bob Holly Vs Well Dunn match, Billy cuts a cheerful insert promo wishing the 123 Kid & Bob Holly good luck in the tournament. Apparently not very phased by his brother being nearly crushed by a horse. @Mickey Massuco

• Haha
Reactions: HSJ

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lord Alfred commenting on New Generation era stuff (and being a heel) still seems weird. He talks about Diesel the way I do.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Virgil: Still there.
Absolutely electric.

(Cause I'm a dork, I want to point out that it's nice that WWF let Virgil wear the red stripes from when he was still relevant in his last match rather than the JTTS era black stripes. And I'm sure it was entirely accidental but Ted DiBiase's new manservant sending Virgil packing out of WWF is nice long term storytelling.)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
HAH! I literally watched this RAW yesterday while eating lunch and thought "Geez. Even as a New Gen and battle royal apologist, this battle royal really stinks." I guess the Segunda Caida writers are bigger '93 WWF and battle royal apologists then me.

Actually, Kamala kicking Kimchee's butt all over the Manhattan Center is a fun, underrated early RAW moment. And there's a fun spot where Skinner does a weird, very uncharacteristic heiny dance then immediately gets eliminated. So that's two more high spots than the normal early '90s meaningless battle royal.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Barry Horowitz beat Owen Hart on a Superstars in '96 but that gets forgotten or conflated with the time that Bob Holly beat Owen on RAW in '97 (and they blatantly telegraphed the upset).

Looking on Cagematch, it says it was a DQ. I misremembered it as a fluke rollup.
Another forgotten New Gen angle. Harvey Wippleman: Referee. IIRC, they DID do a callback to it during the referee strike angle in '99 and he showed up as a scab.

BRODY! Do you have any memories of this Barry Horowitz-Don Callis dark match?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I like Horowitz and wish that run had gotten him a little more but at the same time I'm always going to blame him for neutering Hakushi.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like a stretcher match is well suited to Yokozuna's gimmick of guy who is really hard to knock out. Also there would have been potential for a lot of fun with JUST HOW BIG OF A STRETCHER DO YOU NEED FOR YOKOZUNA!?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I somehow completely Vader breaking Yokozuna's leg and HIM BEING SO FAT THEY COULDN'T USE A STRETCHER, THEY HAD TO USE A FORKLIFT!

Siderant: I just feel like that's as big of a demonstration of the reality of food addiction as anything. WWF writes off Yokozuna in a completely humiliating fashion to scare him straight and he just got even fatter. It really is one of the sad stories of wrestling. :(

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Barry Horowitz beat Owen Hart on a Superstars in '96 but that gets forgotten or conflated with the time that Bob Holly beat Owen on RAW in '97 (and they blatantly telegraphed the upset).

Looking on Cagematch, it says it was a DQ. I misremembered it as a fluke rollup.
Another forgotten New Gen angle. Harvey Wippleman: Referee. IIRC, they DID do a callback to it during the referee strike angle in '99 and he showed up as a scab.

BRODY! Do you have any memories of this Barry Horowitz-Don Callis dark match?
I'm almost positive that is wrong and Callis worked the Brawler. I even have a pic of Lombardi working in a Packers jersey instead of the Brooklyn shirt to get a babyface cheap pop.
HistoryofWWE has it as Smothers vs Horowitz, Bah Gawd I have the Zapruder film of Raw dark matches. Time to change history.
--
Horowitz mingled with Crazy Bob and Double J as well, being part of an angle that set up a heel vs heel IC title match on one of the Sunday Night Slam specials.

---
IIRC When I saw Hakushi work live at a prior house show in early 1995 I was surprised his tattoos were fake. 12 year old me was pretty dumb I guess.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk if I've ever seen a post KOTR '93 Hulk Hogan promo. It's weird to see his WCW character in WWF.

Best thing I can say about this promo is at least Brutus Beefcake isn't there.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Hogan getting infinitely more obnoxious when he stopped taking steroids is so funny.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Idk if I've ever seen a post KOTR '93 Hulk Hogan promo. It's weird to see his WCW character in WWF.

Best thing I can say about this promo is at least Brutus Beefcake isn't there.
Kamala, I think you may just be forgetting shit. I'm pretty sure this OVS stuff you and I share on here is the same as the stuff they used to put on Twitter before the copyright Karens came calling. I'm guilty of yearly rehashes too.
Hogan getting infinitely more obnoxious when he stopped taking steroids is so funny.
IIRC at KOTR, an obviously slimmed down Hogan is screaming during his promo about how his arm is actually bigger than it ever has been.

IIRC the KOTR promo is where Jimmy basically says the lines from "American Made" as he likely had already written the song given that Hogan mentioned the band in the above promo.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What was the IRL reason for Jimmy Hart becoming Hulk Hogan's manager? It just seems really odd that almost a decade into his run as top babyface in WWF history, he feels the need to add a sidekick. He just needed the proverbial fresh paint of coat, I guess?

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
2/15 Observer...

From almost all accounts, Hulk Hogan will be returning to the ring after a one year absence at Wrestlemania, teaming with Brutus Beefcake against Ted DiBiase & IRS. Jimmy Hart, whose babyface turn will air on 2/15, will manage Hogan and Beefcake. Word we get is that Hart, who specializes in p.r. work well beyond the call of duty, has been wanting to switch face so he can fit into the p.r. end of things better.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The Mega Maniacs would've been totally fine tag champs. I was so ready.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It would have been a lot better than what we got, that's for sure.

I weirdly want to see a Mega Maniacs Vs Headshrinkers match although in reality, it would have just been the Samoans stooging wackily for Hogan and Brutus Buttsniff.