Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

College FOOTBAW 2021: Will Louisiana Crack the Top 5?

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
In "small school" records, San Diego State and Houston are both 10-1 while BYU is 9-2. UT-San Antonio remains undefeated at 11-0. Louisiana is 10-1, App State is 9-2, and Coastal Carolina is 9-2 but all three teams are currently unranked.

FCS side: Harvard came back and scored a late TD with 22 seconds left to beat Yale. Princeton moved to 9-1 as well and Dartmouth steamrolled Brown, setting up a possible co-Ivy League champion claim.

FCS will select the complete 24 teams today. AQ = Sam Houston State, Sacramento State, Kennesaw State, Villanova, North Dakota State, Sacred Heart, UT Martin, Holy Cross, Davidson, East Tennessee State, and Incarnate Word.

Jackson State (at 10-1) or Florida A&M (at 8-2 with a 1 point loss to Jackson State) could be the first SWAC team to receive an at-large playoff bid since 1997! The SWAC are an interesting position as the winners of the MEAC/SWAC often play one another, which is largely why they don't have automatic bids for both conferences. It's also a bit of a way for the playoff selection committee to purposefully overlook them in adding schools to the playoffs.

The Ivy League has continued to talk about returning to the FCS playoffs, which I think would make for a great profile for the conference and create some interesting Northeast games as most 1st Round games are scheduled around regional matchups as much as the actual seeding.

Teams probably on the outside looking in: Rhode Island (7-4), Bryant (7-4), Duquesne (7-3), San Diego (7-4), Morehead State (7-4)

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
The FCS Playoff Brackets! Fuck yo 4 team FBS bullshit quackery... Also the #2 seed is North Dakota State, not North Dakota

screen-shot-2021-11-21-at-114713-am.webp

screen-shot-2021-11-21-at-115649-am.webp

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Tennessee's gotta go for style points today and cover against Vandy. The line's 31 1/2 as of right now for the Vols, and I genuinely think they do it. LET'S GET A DECEMBER 30TH BOWL BAYBEE

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I genuinely hope you get to see your favorite program participate in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm kinda tight that circumstances didn't allow for me to be at Michigan Stadium, but hey, life. But finally, they fucking did it!

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I’m so used to OSU just dog walking Michigan that I don’t even think wins are possible. It’s such a cool feeling to finally get one.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m a casual Ohio State fan, and even I thought today was an awesome fucking day of college football all around. No Ohio State, Clemson or Oklahoma even making their conference championship game, let alone the playoff. Here’s hoping Georgia gets Bama outta here next week. I want as many new teams in the playoff as possible.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
FCS Playoffs 1st Round Recap

Holy Cross advanced in a 13-10 win over Sacred Heart.
Kennesaw State steamrolled Davidson 48-21.
Incarnate Word won over Stephen F. Austin 35-28. QB Cam Ward was 39/54 for 328 and 4 TD.
South Dakota State stomped UC Davis 56-24. RB Isaiah Davis ran for 217 and 1 TD.
UT Martin knocked off Missouri State 32-31 with a 37 yard TD pass with 3:36 left in the 4th quarter.
Eastern Washington survived Northern Iowa 19-9.
Southern Illinois handled South Dakota 22-10.
SE Louisiana annihilated Florida A&M 38-14. QB Cole Kelley was 31/45 for 345 and 4 TD.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Being reported by Matt Zenitz of on3.com that Riley has informed his staff he's off to not Louisiana, but California to take over the vacant USC position.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Other under the radar HC hires...

Don Brown is returning to UMass as their new HC while Jerry Kill is taking over New Mexico State. Washington State is promoting Jake Dickert to HC and Billy Napier will likely be the new HC at Florida.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Being reported by Matt Zenitz of on3.com that Riley has informed his staff he's off to not Louisiana, but California to take over the vacant USC position.
According to ESPN and Oklahoma News 9's (and former Sooner) Dusty Dvoracek, BIG GAME BOB is blaring "Boomer Sooner" on the Schooner as he will be the interim HC for OU's bowl game this year.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
FCS Playoffs 1st Round Recap

Holy Cross advanced in a 13-10 win over Sacred Heart.
Kennesaw State steamrolled Davidson 48-21.
Incarnate Word won over Stephen F. Austin 35-28. QB Cam Ward was 39/54 for 328 and 4 TD.
South Dakota State stomped UC Davis 56-24. RB Isaiah Davis ran for 217 and 1 TD.
UT Martin knocked off Missouri State 32-31 with a 37 yard TD pass with 3:36 left in the 4th quarter.
Eastern Washington survived Northern Iowa 19-9.
Southern Illinois handled South Dakota 22-10.
SE Louisiana annihilated Florida A&M 38-14. QB Cole Kelley was 31/45 for 345 and 4 TD.
SELA was 38-0 going into the fourth. I'm happy FAMU got to participate in the playoffs but I saw this outcome coming a mile away. The Lions are going to give JMU headaches next week.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brian Kelly splitting town again heading for the bayou now.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Rich Rodriguez will be the new HC at Jacksonville State, which will be an FBS school in 2023. Mike Bobo is out as Auburn's OC.

Kalen DeBoer has left Fresno State to take over Washington.

As I told 909 in chat, Rhett Lashlee is the new HC at SMU.

In surprising news, Danny Rocco is out at Delaware after a struggling 5-6 season. Overall, Rocco had gone 31-23.

Rod Carey is out as Temple's HC while Akron is targeting Joe Moorhead to be their new HC.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Brent Pry is the new HC of Virginia Tech. Spent the last 6 seasons as DC at Penn State.

My dawg Sonny Cumbie will be the new HC at Louisiana Tech.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Bronco Mendenhall is stepping down at Virginia after going 36-38 following his successful run at BYU.

Steve Addazio is out at Colorado State too.

Ricky Santos (somebody I posted about way back when on these boards!) will be the new HC for New Hampshire, taking over for the retiring Sean McDonnell.

"A former record-setting quarterback for the program, Santos' #2 from his playing days is one of just four numbers that the football program has retired. He was a four-year starter with a career record of 37-24, threw for over 13,000 yards, and had 123 touchdowns through the air. In 2006, Santos won the Walter Payton Award given to the top player at the FCS level."

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Utah steamrolled Oregon to win the Pac-12 Title. Western Kentucky stormed back but lost the C-USA Title to UTSA 49-41.

In the FCS Playoffs, Villanova beat Holy Cross 21-16 to advance. Montana knocked off Eastern Washington 57-41 despite EW QB Eric Barriere going 47/80(!) throwing for 530 and 5 TD with 1 INT.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Kevin Kelley is out at Presbyterian after going 2-9 :( Kelley was well known for his unconventional never-punt and always onside kick philosophy that a lot of coaches from NFL to the Power Five level picked his brain on after seeing him pile up an incredible 216-29 record with 9 state titles at the Arkansas high school level.

Joe Moorhead will be the new HC at Akron.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
This version of Michigan is what I've been waiting to see for forever.
It’s UofM football from my childhood. So much running. Seems weird with the pass friendly way the NFL is right now. They’re really just a crappy call away in the MSU game from being undefeated, and number 1 in the country after tonight.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
East Tennessee State knocked off Kennesaw State in a surprise 32-31. QB Tyler Riddell threw for 238 and 3 TD.
James Madison ran over SE Louisiana 59-20. QB Cole Kelley was 36/50 for 397 and 2 TD in the loss.
Sam Houston won a shootout over Incarnate Word 49-42. QB Cam Ward was 39/61 for 481 and 5 TD in the loss.
North Dakota State easily dispatched Southern Illinois 38-7. RB Tamerik Williams ran for 112 and 2 TD.
Montana State easily handled UT Martin 26-7. QB Tommy Mellett ran for 180 and 2 TD.
South Dakota State knocked off Sacramento State 24-19. RB Isaiah Davis ran for 108 and 2 TD.

SWAC Championship: Jackson State beat Prairie View A&M 27-10.

Finally, LOUISIANA won the Sun Belt Championship finishing 12-1 and they did NOT crack the Top 5 this season, lol. I know I say this every year but at some point Strength of Schedule has to be set aside and records have to actually matter. Teams can only play the schedules they are given. A team that goes 12-1 shouldn't be penalized for playing a softer schedule compared to a team going 10-3 or 9-4 in a tougher conference (looking at you, Iowa and Wake Forest).

Last edited: