Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

College FOOTBAW 2021: Will Louisiana Crack the Top 5?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It always seems like Rutgers football should be a bigger deal since they're the closest thing that NYC/NJ area has to a major college football program but then you remember that NYC/NJ is a basketball town and no one outside of Rutgers alum give a hoot.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
It always seems like Rutgers football should be a bigger deal since they're the closest thing that NYC/NJ area has to a major college football program but then you remember that NYC/NJ is a basketball town and no one outside of Rutgers alum give a hoot.
Not helped that they bolted to the Big 10 where they routinely get beaten down and have become the new "Indiana" level team of that conference.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Which is pretty funny because Rutgers bball always sucks, too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At least NYC/NJ has multiple crappy college basketball programs. It's just Rutgers for football unless you count Columbia!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Now Hawai'i has pulled out of the Hawai'i Bowl due to COVID issues so that game is not happening tonight :(

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Hawai'i's football program is in shambles right now as both the HC and AD had to put out press releases related to the players transferring out. Both tried to blame the transfer portal in general with the AD comparing them to the rest of the conference e.g. schools like Nevada IIRC whilst conveniently ignoring that most of those schools have new coaches coming in so, of course, they have such high transfer numbers.

Now that Hawai'i number has climbed to 14 including Todd Graham's Own Son!

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hawai'i seems like one of those FBS schools that only local kids and transfers like Colt Brennan (rip) intentionally go to. Destination state, not a destination university. Occasionally you'll get an amazing local product, but most days I wonder how they're D-1.

See also Wyoming. I was BAFFLED watching Josh Allen out class everyone on the football field back in his college days when I'd catch the odd MW game.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
FCS Title Game is today at Noon ET/9 AM PT! Montana State takes on North Dakota State in a battle of the upper plains schools!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of pushing for June Jones to return to Hawai'i as their HC and he's expressed interest himself. One of the candidates in the running actually pulled his name in support of Jones.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Hawai'i and June Jones couldn't come to terms on a contract so June turned down the HC position. Disappointing but Hawai'i has seemed to be going 2 steps forward, 1 step backward since June left (firing Greg McMackin only to hire Norm Chow, seeing Nick Rolovich bolt only for Todd Graham's fiasco, etc.). I do know one of the reasons June left in 2007 was due to the facilities at the time being fairly subpar and I don't know how improved the facilities have been since then.

It sounds like Hawai'i wanted a "succession" plan in place due to June's age (68 years old) and neither side could come to an agreement on what that meant. Is what it is but curious if Hawai'i will try to swing to Timmy Chang (another public favorite) or somebody else with Hawai'i ties.

Sounds like it may not be dead (Hawai'i was offering 2-3 years with the goal of Chang being successor) but per Pete Thamel, June wanted full staff hiring control: "Sources told ESPN that the school wanted Timmy Chang as the eventual successor. Jones has no issues with Chang, the former star quarterback. But Steinberg told ESPN that Jones wants full control over the staff. Jones still wants on the job but only with control over staff hiring."

Seemed like Hawai'i wanted its cake and to eat it too with June and then Chang taking over (assuming Chang would join June's staff).

AD David Matlin's really gotta get out of his own way in this scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFH

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Hawai'i has officially named Timmy Chang their new HC. Just made the smart hire and did it now as opposed to trying to force the succession plan on another HC.

Reactions: SFH