Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLW v2

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Plus, if they continue it, there can be another mystery partner match and Dreamer could bring out Kotto or another face with rising stock.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I guess I was just expecting them to bring someone in that tied more into his father's past but just as I thought that, I realize anyone like that is either dead, unable to compete, or under a WWE legends deal :(

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So I wonder if they made a deal with LU to still have Pentagon and Fenix on at least a sporatic basis. They had them cut a promo on the last MLW show this weekend talking about being in Chicago. Unless that was before the AEW deal, but since they were actually supposedly cutting the promo FROM Vegas, I think some deal must have been cut. Especially since its clear their AEW deal is non-exclusive.

Last ep was pretty good, as was the Superfight hour, but it was too bad the world title match got massively rushed due to time constraints. They should have kept Kotto's match for another random week of stuff. Curious what the next step is for Low-Ki and where they will go with Lawler's first big program.

Also, did anyone find the episode (it was aired on the day before the Superfight live broadcast) that had the Dreamer/Pillman empty arena match? There was no mention of it on TV this week so wondering if they decided to scrap it and the episode in question altogether? It's not on their Youtube page.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Lucha Brothers aren't exclusive to any company, except for LU, so they can take dates from anyone at the moment. The AEW deal is a per show basis.

The main event was supposed to go that length. Lawlor mentioned on his show with Bryan Alvarez, that they wanted it to feel like a real fight. Some fights go a while, some are over fast. If you watch UFC, there are some fights that will go the length, while other end in the first round. This was the idea behind that.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Detective Ventriloquist said:
Lucha Brothers aren't exclusive to any company, except for LU, so they can take dates from anyone at the moment. The AEW deal is a per show basis.

The main event was supposed to go that length. Lawlor mentioned on his show with Bryan Alvarez, that they wanted it to feel like a real fight. Some fights go a while, some are over fast. If you watch UFC, there are some fights that will go the length, while other end in the first round. This was the idea behind that.

I was wondering if that was the intention. It did work pretty effectively, but I thought maybe it could have used maybe 5 more minutes to just build the drama a bit more, especially since the Low-Ki run was so effectively booked.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
RedJed said:

I was wondering if that was the intention. It did work pretty effectively, but I thought maybe it could have used maybe 5 more minutes to just build the drama a bit more, especially since the Low-Ki run was so effectively booked.

Agreed there. I love Kotto, he's a really good talent, so I was happy to see his match on the show as something special, even in a loss.

The tag title match was solid, but holy shit was the begging bad. Penta botched a bit to start, especially when Fenix went to whip, I believe it was Davey, into the ropes and he had to stop because Penta wasn't in the right spot.

I'm a pretty big mark for the New Hart Foundation, so I'm stoked to see them building the company around them.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
RedJed said:

Agreed there. I love Kotto, he's a really good talent, so I was happy to see his match on the show as something special, even in a loss.

The tag title match was solid, but holy shit was the begging bad. Penta botched a bit to start, especially when Fenix went to whip, I believe it was Davey, into the ropes and he had to stop because Penta wasn't in the right spot.

I'm a pretty big mark for the New Hart Foundation, so I'm stoked to see them building the company around them.

That finish of the tag title match made up for the botchy botchy fortunately!

Speaking of botchy too, thank god Kotto didn't kill himself on that dive over the ref/Selena! Otherwise a really heated and physical match there with Martinez. That easily could have been a main on a regular episode of MLW

Still hoping they put up the Empty Arena Dreamer/Pillman Jr match! I cant get BeIn Sports anymore so its YouTube all the way with em.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWE purchased the War Games trademark from MLW. https://www.gerweck.net/2019/02/16/wwe-acquires-the-rights-and-trademarks-for-wargames-concept-from-mlw/

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Alexander Hammerstone had a good debut. He has a decent look but reminds too much of Mordecai/Kevin Thorne. I want to see more of what he can do.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Teddy/MJF had a weird finish. Hart nailed four different finishers; one after another while the ref was out and MJF couldn't even take advantage.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Epic Reine said:
Alexander Hammerstone had a good debut. He has a decent look but reminds too much of Mordecai/Kevin Thorne. I want to see more of what he can do.

I've been following him since the PPW days. This look he has now is pretty new, as of about a month or so ago. He's a great power guy. I'm happy for him.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Fell off for a couple of weeks but am catching up now.

I do not care for Salina de la Renta despite being nice to look at. I am however jumping on the Mance Warner bandwagon. I will gladly be the conductor on that train. There's something about him. He gives off a genuine aura of an ultraviolent redneck in a way I didn't believe the likes of Necro Butcher were.

And again, I think Alexander Hammerstone has a great look.

Barrington Hughes. Yeah, I don't get it. Just a big fat dude.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Say what you will about Salina, but she absolutely oozes charisma and IMO is the most prolific valet since who knows when. If she wasnt under a contract I have no question that HHH would grab her for NXT. Always been curious how her ringwork is though as I know she had a history in the indies before under a different name.

I hear you on Hughes, just a prototypical big dude. Acey Baby is so much better in terms of a big man who can actually work.

That was awesome last episode when Warner did the oldschool trick of coming out of a big gift box. Haven't seen that in rasslin for awhile!

MLW seems a bit in a transitional phase somewhat since I think Fenix and Pentagon must be gone now. Pentagon handily jobbed to LA Park this past episode which seems to signify that.

That said, the talent here is still ripe for exposure and upward mobility. The key with MLW is that Konnan seems to be playing upon the strengths of the talents better than most wrestling companies, and then you continue to have a direct intention of making this vibe every episode similar to 90s ECW it feels. All in all, I'm still a dedicated fan of the product at this point.

Seeing how ROH has not used Rush very well so far, its a fucking shame he wasn't allowed to stay here. I would imagine he'd be in line for a title run if he was.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Konnan's strength as a booker is knowing how to utilize a talent's strengths and hide their weaknesses. Add in that Court has already failed once as a promoter and clearly learned, and that he learned directly from GARY FUCKING HART (shortlist of GOAT bookers), and MLW just needs that one real hit to be a bigger player.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
RedJed said:
Say what you will about Salina, but she absolutely oozes charisma and IMO is the most prolific valet since who knows when. If she wasnt under a contract I have no question that HHH would grab her for NXT. Always been curious how her ringwork is though as I know she had a history in the indies before under a different name.

I hear you on Hughes, just a prototypical big dude. Acey Baby is so much better in terms of a big man who can actually work.

That was awesome last episode when Warner did the oldschool trick of coming out of a big gift box. Haven't seen that in rasslin for awhile!

MLW seems a bit in a transitional phase somewhat since I think Fenix and Pentagon must be gone now. Pentagon handily jobbed to LA Park this past episode which seems to signify that.

That said, the talent here is still ripe for exposure and upward mobility. The key with MLW is that Konnan seems to be playing upon the strengths of the talents better than most wrestling companies, and then you continue to have a direct intention of making this vibe every episode similar to 90s ECW it feels. All in all, I'm still a dedicated fan of the product at this point.

Seeing how ROH has not used Rush very well so far, its a fucking shame he wasn't allowed to stay here. I would imagine he'd be in line for a title run if he was.

That was a great moment. My wife thought it was going to be Sami, as they were doing the story of him looking for Salina the whole show, so to have old Mancer pop out was a great moment.

They just signed the Von Erichs for the tag division, which is a great signing, and apparently they are working on a contract with another big name, multiple time champion.

Regarding Salina, I'm not sure of her ring work, but she mentioned on Twitter today that she's tired of fans asking her about getting back in the ring. Apparently she had some serious injury, and that's why she's in the role she is instead of wrestling. She said that her doctors haven't cleared her, and they probably won't ever.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I wonder who this big name is they are negotiating with on a deal? I can't think of anyone particular that has been not courted by another company at this point, etc. Has anything leaked as possibilties?

Good on them on signing the Von Erichs, the buzz is back with them after the Vice piece. And I think MLW does good on nostalgic throwback stuff, so this is a good fit.

I'm a bit surprised Callihan is taking a more face direction, but it's different and in this environment it actually works.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I think the best thing about Sami being a face here is that it actually makes sense. He was a heel, but got screwed over by Salina so now he's looking for revenge. It's not just some random turn for the hell of it.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
All he needs to do now is to learn when to play to the crowd and when to just go. It's actually very common with CZW alumni from the Zandig/Hyde transition period, now that I think about it.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Teddy Hart vs Jimmy Havoc was just announced for their 6/1 show. This has to be one of Havoc's last MLW matches since he's signed to AEW.

Looking forward to checking that one out.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Looks like Alex Hammerstone vs Brian Pillman for the new Openweight title. I actually want Hammerstone to take this one. Hart Foundation have most of the belts anyway and Pillman is still really green.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.sescoops.com/sami-callihan-done-with-mlw-court-bauer-comments/

Sami Callihan is done with the company after causing extensive damage to the venue. Dude really lives the gimmick.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
On the one hand, he shouldn't have been a dick and fucked up a venue that a well-off businessman has rented and is paying him to perform in. On the other, I heard he spit in Corny's face and dared him to fight, so I still love him.

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cornette mentioned a Tom Lawler/Von Erichs vs COBRA match that was supposed to be good. Is it online anywhere

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’ll be available on YouTube on the MLW page fairly soon, I think the schedule for that is always a week after the tv airings.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
On the one hand, he shouldn't have been a dick and fucked up a venue that a well-off businessman has rented and is paying him to perform in. On the other, I heard he spit in Corny's face and dared him to fight, so I still love him.

So good...

https://twitter.com/Jocay19/status/1140768668361641986

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I can't stand Callihan but that should happen way more often.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Sami needs to stop forcing shitty catchphrases, but I'm in full agreement with heels being heels. It's one of the reasons I've liked Sami for so long.