Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

OAO Black Sabbath/Ozzy Thread

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
That's crazy. Total disconnect for me, having Sabbath in a video game (pre-Guitar Hero, etc).

I could put this somewhere else but it counts.

dotelboner.jgp

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Frank Zappa seems out of place on that cover. But then again, I feel like metal dudes always had an odd respect for him since he was such a weirdo. Ah, where have you gone, Agent of Oblivion?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Zappa could and did do everything. Everyone has a respect for Zappa. Even Lou Reed came around.

Valeyard

Reaction score

And also.

Edit: found a better version

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
Finally got to listen to Ordinary Man in full. Best he's done in at least 20 years, but depressing as fuck. It's got the typical Ozzy stuff ("Straight To Hell," "Scary Little Green Men") but there's so much heavy introspective, honest stuff that it's hard to listen to. It seems like he's aware of how close the end is and it's a little jarring for me hearing him sound genuinely vulnerable. "Under The Graveyard" is the best thing he's done in god knows how long, and being back to back with "Ordinary Man" is the bleakest Ozzy I've ever heard.

The Post Malone shit is fun but way out of place on this album. Does fit the overall theme, I guess, but it just doesn't flow very well and being the last track is bullshit.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Ozzy credited as writing that while Lemmy wrote "Mama I'm Coming Home" is so cool. Until the last album I seriously don't think Ozzy ever knew how many songs he recorded were written about him.

Great video, too. Ozzy's sad at some realization, Lemmy's relieved and going to beat the shit out of someone.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rivers Cuomo just revealed in an interview to promote the new Weezer album that he originally wrote "Hash Pipe" for Ozzy's Down to Earth but it got rejected.

I never thought of it ...damn...."Hash Pipe" WOULD probably work a solo Ozzy song IMO!

Valeyard

Reaction score
That would've been interesting. I can see him doing it live in my head.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Revisited “Born Again” when I came home from work (by that, I mean after a shower, dinner and playing with the dog) and yeah, its still an underrated album. “Zero the Hero” and (especially) “Disturbing the Priest” are still great and I can’t imagine somebody not enjoying “Trashed” or “Digital Bitch”

Valeyard

Reaction score

"Clearly, they just ported over Lemmy’s vocal tracks from the Motörhead version of the song — listen to them side-by-side, the delivery is identical — but this is still rad. No longer need we suffer through we awkward edits and amateur attempts to remix music so it doesn’t sound like two completely separate recordings fused together. This is consistently the Ozzy version of the song, only now half the vocals are by Lemmy."

I haven't listened to it yet but that just sounds really lame.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It sucks he just will never be able to tour with it.

Ozzy records will never really stop, like Tupac.

Gary

Darker Handcraft
Reaction score
Bumped because I revisited "Mob Rules" last week and God damn that album rules. Also, since he was in Sabbath, would Dio (especially Rainbow, but also the Sabbath albums he did) count? Because I think it should.

Also, meant to post this two days ago, but here's the greatest photo ever taken
XSkWwoJ.jpg

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Just wait until you get with the odd trend of preferring the Tony Martin era, which is one of the weirdest hipster trends in metal.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I went through a well documented Ian Gillian/Glenn Hughes era phase. I get it.

Born Again has got to be the winner for "Best Comically Poorly Mixed Hard Rock/Metal Album" or at least tied with KISS Hotter Than Hell. It sounds so horrible that it almost becomes part of the charm.