Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

OAO Black Sabbath/Ozzy Thread

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
I went through a well documented Ian Gillian/Glenn Hughes era phase. I get it.

Born Again has got to be the winner for "Best Comically Poorly Mixed Hard Rock/Metal Album" or at least tied with KISS Hotter Than Hell. It sounds so horrible that it almost becomes part of the charm.
I actually don't mind the way "Born Again" is mixed. If you want to talk about oddly/poorly mixed metal albums, White Zombies "Make Them Die Slowly" is a great example-with better production, it could've been really good or even great IMO.

Re: the Tony Curtis era-"Headless Cross" has it's moments, but otherwise that era is a big "no thanks" for me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: the Tony Curtis era
I AM IRON MAN SPARTACUS!

I've only listened to a few Tony Martin era songs and it seems like it's a bad combination of retreading same waters and following trends. God, '86 to '91 is such a bad period for mainstream rock music.

I'm curious why they went back to Tony Martin after the first Dio reunion fell through in the mid '90s. I always feel like Sabbath should have been able to do cool stuff during the grunge era but I guess not. We did get a collaboration with Ice T out of the second Tony Martin era, at least.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good news for all of you Cozy Powell fans.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He has to be supremely fucked up.

I don't know if he can mentally handle never touring now. The shows have been the only consistent part of his life.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I can’t imagine Ozzy being the type to enjoy retirement. Hopefully, technology has improved enough in last three years he can do some sort of virtual concert that is reasonable simulacrum of live shows.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He could make bank on Cameo

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
BlackSabbath-1578347766.jpg

53 years old today

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Listened to "Technical Ecstasy" and "Never Say Die" this morning to see if they are as bad as I remember. Of the two, I'd say TE is better. Granted, I could do without "Gypsy" or "It's Alright", and it's undeniably weaker than the prior albums. That being said, there's a bit more inspiration to it (the riffs are still solid and Ozzy sounds good), I like the funk influence in "All Moving Parts (Still Stand)" and at the end of the day, it's largely an enjoyable if not somewhat slight affair.

NSD though, still doesn't do it for me. "Johnny Blade" isn't too bad, but it doesn't need to be as long as it is, I like the title track and "Air Dance" had fun Jazz Fusion vibe. However, the rest of it just sounds uninspired, as you can tell the band is phoning it in (especially Iommi), Ozzy's voice is weaker and Bill Ward's drumming is pretty bad. Worst of all, it feels a dated. A big part of that is the fact it was released the same year as Van Halen's debut, plus Judas Priest was running circles around them (revisited "Sad Wings of Destiny" a not too long ago and Goddamn that's a great album) and the New Wave of British Heavy Metal was taking shape. In hindsight, it's living proof that Ozzy embarking on a solo career and Dio replacing him as Sabbath's frontman was for the best.

Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Never Say Die has the only Sabbath song that Bill Ward sang. I think TE wins based just on that.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Never Say Die has the only Sabbath song that Bill Ward sang. I think TE wins based just on that.
Ward sings on TE's "It's Alright", which has a fun Beatles flair but at the end of the day, he has a weak singing voice. Also, "Dirty Woman" on that album is better than everything on NSD. It's the one song from them that sounds like vintage Sabbath.

Last edited:

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

This song kicks ass. "She's Gone" is good too but I understand why a real Sabbath bro might not like it. I don't like any tracks on Never Say Die.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of the biggest stunners in CXF that BUTT posted about that album without mentioning that GNR covered “It’s Alright”.

Last edited:

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Other thoughts: "Back Street Kids", "Gypsy" and "Rock n Roll Doctor" kinda make me think of KISS, though at the very least they are Sabbath trying to do something resembling pop. I'm not a KISS fan (sorry Kamala), but I actually don't mind "Back Street Kids" or "Doctor" (especially the use of cowbell in the latter), though I've already expressed my opinion on "Gypsy".

Back to the song "Air Dance": One of the reasons I like it is that it's the most Prog Rock leaning songs from the two albums, though it's worth noting that the albums "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" (especially that one) and "Sabotage" owe a huge debt to that genre, and "Supernaut" is their first time dipping their toes into it (that and "Laguna Suprise".) Come to think of it, "Vol VI" is the first album where they used mellotron.

This song kicks ass. "She's Gone" is good too but I understand why a real Sabbath bro might not like it. I don't like any tracks on Never Say Die.
"She's Gone" I like, as it feels like a natural follow up to "Changes"

Oh, and "Born Again" turned 40 on the 7th. I'm 40. I feel old.

Last edited: