Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

21st Century Fantasy Wrestling Draft

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Is it allowed to draft a tag team in one pick if you forego the second round, particularly if drafted/booked AS A TEAM, or is the 2-for-1 only good after round 20?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2967241873_a8c2b66744_b.jpg

All State Arena at the Rosemont Horizon

My selection will be one of the most versatile performers of this century, a man who has worn many hats and been a top star attraction for three major companies. I will lock in on what I felt was his overall creative and quality peak as a performer and that from his proclaimed “Best in the world at what it is he does” era and that’s is...

chris-jericho-suit.jpg

CHRIS JERICHO

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
That guy was totally on my list, and that same era, no less. Great pick, Hawk.

For my venue, I'm going with somewhere that was home to my one of my favorite wrestling moments of all-time (Cruiserweight Battle Royal, WCW SlamBoree 1998), one where I saw my first concert, attended a SmackDown taping, a TNA house show, and used to regularly attend the Rock n' Shock convention. It's located in the heart of Worcester, down the street from the dilapidated Palladium, and just blocks away from the death trap that is Kelley Square. Where better to host my card filled with grit? I'm talking, of course, about the DCU Center in Worcester, MA.
dcu-center-worcester___31152137133.jpg

As for my first pick, I'm nabbing one of the biggest stars of the last 20 years, a man who put on a few classics in the first few fleeting years of his professional wrestling career, whose return has seen mixed results, but whose legitimate credentials cannot be questioned. I'm talking about the NEXT BIG THING...
170px-Brock_Lesnar_-_WWE_Champion.jpg

...BROCK LESNAR (circa 2003)

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
We setting up shop on the site of the largest wrestling attendance site of all-time - AT&T Stadium in Dallas, TX

images

Who will it take to fill that building? How about THE ROCK

9c15b-15378366552361-500.jpg

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My work computer is old and janky so I'll have to add in a picture later.

Seems like we have an East Coast (or Far East Coast in CWM and Tekcop's case) bias for most of the picks. I'm gonna take my show to the West and to the entertainment capital of the US. This venue has hosted its fair share of wrestling events in the '90s but has recently become AEW's Perhaps more notably, it was home to a lot of great boxing matches since the '90s, which will lend a big fight feel to the main event of my show!

The MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada

I'm pleasantly surprised that this guy fell to me. He wasn't on my draft board cause I assumed he'd be a Top 5 pick but excited that everyone ahead of me passed him up. I think he was the most exciting thing to happen so far this century in pro wrestling. One of the best promos of all time and excellent as a heel and face as well as a hell of a worker.

With my first selection, I'm proud to select...

https://youtu.be/wroqcQVcoIg
CM Punk ( Summer 2011 era)

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought about what I would do with these picks for a little while, and everyone who I thought would be gone is gone. This is still not easy, but...

maxresdefault.jpg

Shawn Michaels (2005 era HBK is the best one)

maxresdefault.jpg

Rey Mysterio Jr. (in his prime of course)

And for a venue I'll go with Metlife Stadium.

ml2_1850.jpg

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This was coin flip pick for me but ultimately, I went with the bigger star over the guy who could probably have the ***** classic with Punk. This might be a somewhat controversial pick because of era. But I want a guy who isn't gonna put up with CM Punk being a wiseass and will be able to put him in his place and fight from underneath to draw some great babyface sympathy. I could also have them flip places and have Punk being the obnoxious heel and this pick be the tough old gunslinger babyface. I also want someone who has legit credibility to add the big fight feel I'm going for.

These guys did feud IRL and had a match that was probably the last great match of both guys career (well, after this weekend, I should preface that with arguably, last great match). But I think this feud/match would even be better.

https://youtu.be/wGrdVh8pbpY
"Big Red Evil" The Undertaker

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Great call there. If the Taker/Punk match had more intrigue around it, as if there were a chance Punk could've actually won? We'd be talking about it in the same scope as the matches with HBK.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Dang. I had a reach pick I was thinking I was going to do but how often can you get a FRANCHISE in the second round?

78d369439edfcdde65c1c451d7fe6cb1--jersey-john-cena.jpg

big match JOHN CENA

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was mildly surprised that Cena fell almost to the middle of the 2nd round but then I remembered we're all jaded, cynical thirtysomethings and are target demographic Cena haters...

Being said, I think he is worthy of being a top pick and it obviously ran across my mind to pick him with my 2nd pick (although he is not the guy I did a coin flip over Vs Taker with my last pick) since he is a natural rival of Punk. History will look back mostly fondly on Cena, unlike some of his '00s WWE contemporaries.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I need to get somebody who can go 1-on-1 with peak Lesnar and not only be a believable threat, in terms of both ability and presence, but also be willing to work with him on every conceivable level. He'll make Brock look great and, at the same time, make himself look great by giving as much as he can take. Ladies and gentlemen. Please say hello to the Samoan Submission Machine...

img-img-1977465.jpg

SAMOA JOE

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And laz turns it back on me taking the target I had in mind. 04 Joe against 08 Jericho was the plan. Back to the board.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I need someone that is just a great face that can be a workhorse and when he gets to be his authentic self, he oozes coolness and the audience loves him for it and that’s what I’m going to utilize here with my second selection that I feel can be a great adversary for Chris Jericho.

ITS ROMAN REIGNS, Y’ALL!

fa039008a52d27924cc3c6509964460c_crop_north.jpg

OG

OG
Reaction score
The key for me is versatility. Need a guy who can be a heel or a face, either draw on top against Austin or have a show stealing match in the midcard. This may be a reach but there aren't a lot of guys that fit that criteria.

Edge_Raises_WWE_Title.jpg

Edge (Rated R Superstar era, circe 2007)

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm building a card I want to watch and a show with Minoru Suzuki will always be a card I want to watch. A bad man who does bad things. 2004 version specifically.

V_Lk4TFzcIK1gEw2eL8E0J-XCuB6ZhyLwh7shzp3Q1EbXypplA4Wh9QW8nL-HQGk8Gu34Wi6D-6h6dRa293mZGLPMuYbYoocxhKfCbE_x9tmX1shsKTkidIBnqcp6j42EwJTp2347YWayIg2FkRQzIJRzA2ZhzXdJgOie3g0qOZcpQ7dEg

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bernie Bro Kamala said:
I was mildly surprised that Cena fell almost to the middle of the 2nd round but then I remembered we're all jaded, cynical thirtysomethings and are target demographic Cena haters...

Being said, I think he is worthy of being a top pick and it obviously ran across my mind to pick him with my 2nd pick (although he is not the guy I did a coin flip over Vs Taker with my last pick) since he is a natural rival of Punk. History will look back mostly fondly on Cena, unlike some of his '00s WWE contemporaries.

If I was picking around 5 or 6 I would've taken Cena. I just wanted to snag Danielson whenever I could. He's Big Match Jahn and people here should Never Give Up.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've already got one of the greatest champions ever, now I'm going to take another:

latest

Kenta Kobashi specifically from his legendary 2003-05 GHC reign.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was gonna go with a grittier card with hard hitting matches, but I didn't think this guy would still be around. One of the best big match main event workers of the last twenty years. I choose

Hiroshi_Tanahashi.JPG

Hiroshi Tanahashi (Circa 2012 Main Event Ace Champion)

Reaction score
Joyful & Soyful said:
Bernie Bro Kamala said:

If I was picking around 5 or 6 I would've taken Cena. I just wanted to snag Danielson whenever I could. He's Big Match Jahn and people here should Never Give Up.

Was going to take Cena but last sec took AJ cause we didn’t see that match, I don’t think (Eddie/AJ)

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
May not be the best game plan but I’m working with most interesting names first and then figuring out what version of the wrestler and I’m using and what matches.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Interesting to see that puroresu has gotten a lot more popular since our last draft.

I was reading the 2012 draft here out of boredom and I just picked a bunch of puro guys mostly cause they were available and p much had no idea what to do with any of them. I had Tana work a sleazy but pre dickflip, TNA lower mid carder era Joey Ryan :eek: :eek: :eek: :(

Edit---wait a second, Joey Ryan is a lower midcarder in TNA/Impact now too. But it's post dickflip era I guess.

Edit edit---sorry if anyone is mad cause they're planning on picking Joey Ryan next.