Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

30 for 30/Sports Documentaries Discussion

Cheech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In the pre-salary cap era draft picks were passed around more than a hooker at a bachelor party. It wasn't uncommon for picks to be traded two, three or for times years before the draft even occurred.

Staff member
Reaction score
Muhammad and Larry was my second favorite. Really sad stuff that unfortunately is swept under the rug when people speak about the legacy of Ali.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anybody watch tonight's episode? I thought it was one of the strongest yet even if the last 10 minutes felt incredibly rushed. Why not just use up the whole ninety minutes and talk more about the '99 Eastern Conference Finals? All around though, I liked it a lot. I thought there was no way you could make those Pacers-Knicks series' as interesting as they did.

Oddly, they don't begin airing more episodes until April for some reason. Next batch is The Trial of Allen Iverson doc by the director of Hoops Dreams (should be really good), the documentary on the creation of rotisserie leagues, the Ricky Williams documentary (also really looking forward to that), Morgran Freeman's doc on the South African rugby team, and Ice Cube's documentary on The Raiders (aw shit) .

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I watched the first half, and it brought back a lot of fond memories, but made me so angry. I forgot how much I despised Reggie Miller and John Starks.

darthtiki

$100 Bills hangin' out of my pocket
Reaction score
So far my favorite was The U. I just hope the 4-letter releases these on disc, because there are several I want.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They are releasing it, not sure as a set though, but there were commercials promoting the sales of the ones already aired.

What was with the Spike Lee racist comment?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spike Lee was talking about going to Indiana for the '94 Eastern Conference Finals and the hostility that he received there and joked about how they probably would have lynched him if they could have. He also pointed out that The Ku Klux Klan (well to be technical, the second, modern iteration of the group born after Birth of A Nation) was founded there. Cowboy Numbers is from Indiana and hence doesn't like being called a racist.

Reaction score
Kung Kamala said:
Spike Lee was talking about going to Indiana for the '94 Eastern Conference Finals and the hostility that he received there and joked about how they probably would have lynched him if they could have. He also pointed out that The Ku Klux Klan (well to be technical, the second, modern iteration of the group born after Birth of A Nation) was founded there. Cowboy Numbers is from Indiana and hence doesn't like being called a racist.

This is true.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That shot of two Pacers fans wearing upside down pennants on their head so they sort of looked like Klan hoods didn't really hurt Spike's argument.

Another valuable lesson I learned from the doc: Indianapolis=Nap City.

Reaction score
Kung Kamala said:
That shot of two Pacers fans wearing upside down pennants on their head so they sort of looked like Klan hoods didn't really hurt Spike's argument.

Another valuable lesson I learned from the doc: Indianapolis=Nap City.

Eh.

and it's usually referred to as "Naptown" but I like to call it the "Circle City"

Kurt Angle Mark

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kung Kamala said:
Anybody watch tonight's episode? I thought it was one of the strongest yet even if the last 10 minutes felt incredibly rushed. Why not just use up the whole ninety minutes and talk more about the '99 Eastern Conference Finals?

Because then they would have had to brought up the Pacers beating the Knicks in '98 and 2000. The Larry Johnson thing was added on at the end because the director is a Knick fan.

The film was about the two spectacular moments Reggie Miller had against the Knicks.

Since Reggie Miller was my favorite player I loved the film. I went to the local mini mall and bought my Reggie jersey as soon as the final horn went off in the "8 points in 8 seconds" game.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Iverson ep was good. I have a feeling at 40 for 40 time, Iverson from 96 on will make for must see viewing too.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Any reaction to The 16th Man? I had heard it was supposed to be way better than Invictus, although that wouldn't be saying a lot.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was the exact same thing as Invictus. I don't even know why they bothered

Red Baron

I have a new hat.
Reaction score
Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela is a good choice, but the rugby story wasn't that great.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
Youth N Asia said:
wnyxmcneal said:
It was the exact same thing as Invictus. I don't even know why they bothered

Which felt like a pointless movie to begin with.

You take that back!

After watching the movie I though, ok, this is a true story, it did happen...but did it really need to be a movie. Fine acting all around, but if you've seen the trailer you've pretty much seen the movie.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just like it because it was about rugby....that's really it.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There should've been a warning before the Raiders doc about looking at Al Davis

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Al%20Davis.png

Al%20Davis.png

Al%20Davis.png

Al%20Davis.png

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He really looks more and more like The Cryptkeeper every passing year.

I liked The Raiders documentary well enough but I couldn't help but get the feeling that it would have been a lot better if it were done by an actual director and/or someone who was a bit more objective about the topic.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
But then how else could we have heard what Chris Reid from Kid 'n' Play thought about the Raiders?

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
Uhhh, Ice Cube is an actual director.

Missed the doc the first time around, but for some reason I'm not that interested. The Los Angeles Raiders are still a sore spot in my sports pysche.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chris Reid looked old.

It's pretty good so far, but Snoop Dogg and Ice Cube casually talking about the Raiders in LA Coliseum was hilarious.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
OK, I looked at his IMDb page and was reminded that Ice Cube did direct beloved classic Players Club. They tried to tackle too much (no pun intended?) for a one hour documentary. The bits about the formation of the history of NWA was too long. It's not like there isn't other documentaries on them out there.