Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in June 2024: For a door that’s forbidden, they sure do open it a lot.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I'm sure Kamala will say something about me being horny and moaning because they signed Alicia Atout. But it is funny that MJF got his girlfriend a job. It's not like she hasn't been on their radar for the last five years, and they didn't need a new interviewer, but she's with Max so she works there now. All Friends Wrestling forever.

Staff member
Reaction score
I pointed it out elsewhere but one consequence of nepotism like that is that people are far less likely to act like idiots when someone’s spouse or girlfriend is there. It’s a natural drama diffuser unless both people in that couple are completely insane.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nepotism as one of many reasons for a person getting a job usually works out fine for the above, and other, reasons. It's the whole some folks being given everything no matter what situations that don't seem to turn out so well.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some details from Wrestlenomics regarding AEW/ROH summer residency in Arlington.

-Collision will be time shifted on 8/3 due to SummerSlam
-The company has received a 50% discount on the building
-they discussed using the venue for CMLL and NJPW tapings as well
-capacity will be scaled at 1290 for all shows

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I'd genuinely like to hang out with RJ City. He used to bug the shit outta me but I've gotten to like him a lot. As well, the people watching would be hilarious because poor Harley.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm pretty split on the shows lately. I truly enjoy basically everything that isn't Jericho, MJF, or Bucks, but those are kind of key elements now.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm pretty split on the shows lately. I truly enjoy basically everything that isn't Jericho, MJF, or Bucks, but those are kind of key elements now.
So you just like the tits portion of the show?

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jury’s out on MJF for me until they give him a more clear direction. I would assume he’ll have a match with Rush at Forbidden Door, but that seems like something to fill time until he can get into an extended program.

I know the Jericho stuff is purposefully obnoxious, but holy shit, it is bad. (Bryan Keith telling Angelo Parker “that baby better respect Chris Jericho!” did pop me, though).

They keep teasing that Swerve wants to join in the fight to defend AEW’s honor. I guess he gets added to the face team in a Blood and Guts match vs the Elite? I’m good with that.

The Bucks stuff is probably my biggest pet peeve right now, though. On-screen authority figures are arguably the most played-out trope in wrestling, and now we have them AND Christopher Daniels doing it. And now that Tony Khan has been established as being back, why are these guys getting to continue running things? This is the exact shit that made me start looking for alternatives to WWE.

Staff member
Reaction score
It's just Jericho that's bothering me, but he's tail end of five or six segments on every Dynamite now. I don't need this.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the jericho stuff is unwatchable trash. The Bucks stuff isn't amazing but it's fine. When Okada is on it's great (like when they gave him the new car and his reaction to it). MJF has been ok so far to me but it's only been two segments so it's too soon to tell. Anything with Swerve or Toni Storm is A+. All of the BCC is great. OC/Trent/Willow/Stat shit isn't working for me but it's not like it's terrible and I'm still feeling the buzz of no chuck. I'm liking what Roddy has been doing lately. Ospreay is on an amazing run.

Really AEW is hitting pretty well right now overall. Nigel is also the best colour guy in decades. I'm not sure who the last commentator was who I actively looked forward to hearing what they'd say every week. He has at least a dozen hilarious lines every show and he does it without taking away from the action.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Any truth to the rumors of WWE (and maybe HHH himself?) leaking fake AEW ratings news to "wrestling influencers"(another term I hate myself for typing) to try and tarnish their image? Meltzer was going off about it. It wouldn't surprise me if they were that petty but I need a little more proof of that.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The Jericho shit is awful. At its best it feels like a retread. It's at least funny that ten year vet Cass is still booked like an aimless rookie, for some reason.

The whole Bucks shtick just doesn't do it for me and feels so forced. It's already the exact sort of story people wanted an alternative to, but it really just seems like it's too late for it to work like it could. Okada is wonderful though and I think that the best aspect of it is that it's letting him get acclimated to sports entertainment booking. I just both can't suspend disbelief and feel like I've seen this done better before. The Daniels shit doesn't do it for me, either, and is wholly unnecessary, but it's a good apology for the Punk stuff I suppose.

MJF just is no longer a guy I want to see. That title run killed him and he's gotta get big rehabbed before I care again. It doesn't feel like there's a firm plan for him yet, which is a shame. Also, the HHH shit is lame and the kind of thing I just find cringe worthy. It's the same tier as those My Buddy Nick promos. Dude's one of the best promos to come along in 20 years and has grown into a really good worker, he doesn't need that stuff.

Toni and Swerve are the best. Toni has knocked it so far out of the park it's funny. Swerve feels more and more special every week since getting the belt. I don't care about the Statlander stuff but I really like everyone involved, which is frustrating. Strong is the fucking man and I love him doing well. I don't mind Joe and Hook together, either. And Forbidden Door is going to be the show of the year.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I feel like she's getting more comfortable in every non-speaking aspect. She just is not a talker.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
FTR Bald has been working with injuries and is super fucked up and has been pulled off and FTR will be on the shelf for the time being.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Glacier just randomly being in AEW backstage now is the most TK shit ever.

The coke is hitting good