Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in June 2024: For a door that’s forbidden, they sure do open it a lot.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
See @BruiserBrody in the rasslin business, the idea is to make money.

I know that wasn’t a capability for your beloved Verne but see this admittedly poorly designed and executed shirt (like all AEW shirts) is intended to capitalize on the popularity of this female wrestler, who got out of the kitchen, I’m sorry to tell you, by utilizing her catchphrase.

Let us know if you see any new Bobby Duncum figures at the flea market.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I heard they might say the sh-word on Chicago Hope next week.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

I didn't realize this was 9 months old of a saying.

I'm no prude, but isn't using "tits" as part of a wrestling catchphrase a bit spicy for *ahem* mainstream television? Maybe I am just stuck on the Carlin routine and think it's worse than it actually is ( "shit", "piss", "fuck", "cunt", "cocksucker", "motherfucker", and "tits" are the 7 words you can't say on TV according to a classic bit)
-----

When nobody that interacts with the outside world watches you’re product you can get away with anything.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That person has never left their home.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's no way she's not referencing AbFab but I don't think the sophisticated AEW fans know any media that isn't wrestling

From that thread, love this poster dumping on "sophisticated AEW fans" not knowing any media that isn't wrestling while at the same time not understanding the gimmick is based on old Hollywood, primarily Sunset Boulevard.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Those TCM vignettes are really hard to understand.

Valeyard

Reaction score
How many think TK owns literal jaguars?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dubbalos is a terrible nickname for a fanbase, Laz. TNA is pretty much the only promotion whose acronym that doesn’t feature a W.

(which is why we love it!)

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Her gimmick is great and lots of fun. With that said, that shirt is the type of thing only the scummiest people of Walmart would wear.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did Brody just disassociate during the Attitude Era and/or is he just fixated on George Carlin’s “Seven Dirty Words” bit? Tits” is like a 3/10 level shocking word on basic cable.

In fact, I am pretty sure Carlin removed and replaced it during one of the updates of the Seven Dirty Words?

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
most of her promos are done with smeared makeup suggesting she just finished giving someone a blowie
What? Any promo not following a match or physical confrontation has her in makeup that is perfectly applied, not smeared. She does reference a ton of...extracurricular activities...in her promos, but none suggest she just finished giving someone a bj.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Jeff Hardy is a free agent as of today. He would have fared better and become a singles star if he had just kept out of trouble.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Fuck Jeff. Good riddance, long overdue

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He is 1993 JYD levels washed except washed JYD knew his limitations (and was never an aerial artist to begin with). Jeff was definitely AEW’s worst signing thus far.

Anyone except the most delusional Hardyz Stan could tell you that signing was a horrible idea but Tony did it anyways.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how Jeff Hardy was worse than Ric Flair or Jimmy Havoc etc. Jeff was washed but even with him fucking up again he still had several entertaining matches during his run with guys like Darby. It wasn't a needed signing by any means but I wouldn't put him in the bottom 10 signings at all.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He's definitely bottom ten. Flair didn't work and was paying to be there to work with Sting, and succeeded in the role. Jeff hasn't succeeded at anything other than look broken and take up TV time from people infinitely more deserving. He should've been fired a long time ago.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think all of these people are at least in the argument for worse hires than Jeff. All of them either contributed little/nothing, had behavior issues, should never have been hired, are Chuck Taylor, or a combo.

Jimmy Havoc
Bobby Fish
Kevin Kelly
Chavo Guerrero Jr
Mark Henry
Big Show
Matt Hardy
Joey Janela
Jimmy Havoc
Marko Stunt
BJ Whitmer
Big Swole
CHUCK TAYLOR
Miro
Andrade
Paige Van Zant
Ric Flair

Valeyard

Reaction score
No way is Matt a worse signing than Jeff. He sucked but at least had a purpose or intended direction a lot of the time, and tried to get guys over.

Anyone WWE guy hired for an announcing role was a total waste of money. I'm not counting Nigel.

PVZ had a purpose but they never used her. That's a failing on them more than anything.

Andrade and Miro weren't worth it.

Janela I can justify for the early days when they needed any kind of star power, such as he is. He at least got a main event with Mox.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff's matches with Darby were better than any singles match I can think of from Matt. The Texas Chain Saw match with Jeff Jarrett was also hilarious goofy shit. I remember the matches with Swerve and Moxley being good too. Jeff lost to all of those guys.

Matt might have had more direction but his angles were terrible IMO and I think he looked far more broken down in the ring. When Jeff was actually around he still could go. Jeff's biggest problem (on tv) was being linked with Matt again and doing shit like "The Firm Deletion".

It's a matter of preference though and I don't think either of them had a great run.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jeff also had an easily top 5 AEW moment when he debuted and danced while his brother desperately needed help from getting attacked.