Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in June 2024: For a door that’s forbidden, they sure do open it a lot.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Danielson can’t retire until he finally gets his blow off against Shane.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Shane to AEW is one of those scenarios where nothing good can come out of it besides attention. but AEW would have to go for if scenario presented itself, if that makes sense.

It would have the wow factor for casual fans that no AEW signing has gotten except for Punk’s.

And, yeah, Shane Vs Darby could be a fun trainwreck.

I doubt this is anything more serious than Shane being curious what his going rate would be though.

Staff member
Reaction score
No, they don't have to go for it and they shouldn't. Same thing as Jinder, but in this case if you bring in Shane you invite questions about Vince and what he knew about Vince's behavior, so no, you shouldn't do that. Stay the course, keep putting out good wrestling product, and keep focus on the feuds that you have going. Do not get sucked into looking for attention.

Like imagine last night if you put Shane on a show where you told that many good stories through ring work, where your two guys with the biggest potential had a great promo battle to build their match, where you had three girls in there putting a new spin on a stale format (contract signing) segment. It doesn't fit.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean Shane’s last time in the ring was getting horribly injured barely doing anything in the ring so I suppose it would go against AEW’s workrate first mindset too.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
…well that’s a bit harsh on David Benoit. That dude did nothing wrong and was not involved with his dad’s crimes whatsoever. His worst offence is not being able to process an awful family tragedy.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It's an optics thing. There's a reason no one has hired Benoit's kid, just like there's a reason AEW wouldn't hire Shane (assuming him being completely useless is not enough of a reason).

God even the notion of a Shane/MJF segment makes me shudder.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's an optics thing. There's a reason no one has hired Benoit's kid
Yeah, his only involvement in the wrestling business and hanging around shows and talking about how he wants to become a wrestler. He has had little training if any.

Granted, neither has Shane but at least, Shane has had memorable matches.

Goldberg is probably a better comparison for Shane.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Whose lives did Goldberg's dad destroy?

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know we are supposed to look past ratings now, but Dynamite on Wednesday apparently did 502,000, which is the lowest number for a non-pre-empted episode ever. It's really unfortunate because that was one of the best shows they've done in a long time.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I know we are supposed to look past ratings now, but Dynamite on Wednesday apparently did 502,000, which is the lowest number for a non-pre-empted episode ever. It's really unfortunate because that was one of the best shows they've done in a long time.
The people who want to look past ratings are also the people that don't understand more viewers = better $$$ from the TV rights = the product stays on the air longer.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like ratings discussion is way less frequent in the WWE thread but discussion overall is way less frequent in WWE thread, despite it being exponentially more popular IRL.

I read that Joe Hendry’s NXT guest shot got more views on social media than Okada, Mercedes Mone and another big, semi recent AEW debut that I can’t recall COMBINED.

Imagine how insufferable fans would be if Joe Hendry was in AEW. Oof!

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think ratings matter that much, but this is obviously an exception because of how low they were. There were no segments advertised with a former WWE draw in them. Some former WWE draws appeared anyway but I will guess that you never see them do that again. So Jericho ain't going away.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was third for the night like always. It is a bad rating but it isn't like it suddenly fell behind a bunch of other shows. WWE's ratings were in freefall for 20 years and the only thing that happened was their tv rights increased exponentially. All of the reports from Meltzer and Fightful etc are that AEW is going to get a big increase in their tv rights as well.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wednesday was also Juneteenth and Kendrick's concert. I'm sure that played a part, yeah?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like ratings discussion is way less frequent in the WWE thread but discussion overall is way less frequent in WWE thread, despite it being exponentially more popular IRL.

I read that Joe Hendry’s NXT guest shot got more views on social media than Okada, Mercedes Mone and another big, semi recent AEW debut that I can’t recall COMBINED.

Imagine how insufferable fans would be if Joe Hendry was in AEW. Oof!
He literally begs people to inflate his numbers. I don't see Hendry as anything more that Wrestling's "Morbin Time". He'd burn out fast with regular exposure in a real company.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
It was third for the night like always. It is a bad rating but it isn't like it suddenly fell behind a bunch of other shows. WWE's ratings were in freefall for 20 years and the only thing that happened was their tv rights increased exponentially. All of the reports from Meltzer and Fightful etc are that AEW is going to get a big increase in their tv rights as well.

This is my take. While the ratings aren't great, AEW programming is regularly the top watched programs of the network (just like how Raw was consistently the top watched show on USA when their ratings were dog shit). I'd say that means more than a few hundred thousand viewers. Once it starts getting lower ratings than Friends repeats then we should be worried.