Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in November 2023: Another day, another Tony Khan announcement.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
If it weren't for using Dalton Castle, I'd think TK actually skims the board.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The more it goes the more I hope MJF's redemption is falling in love with Bowens and becoming a babyface power couple.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that would be a pretty fun story tbh but I'm sure some people would be offended since MJF is straight (as far as we know). Telling that kind of positive story in wrestling would be pretty cool though.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think that would be a pretty fun story tbh but I'm sure some people would be offended since MJF is straight (as far as we know). Telling that kind of positive story in wrestling would be pretty cool though.
No one seems to be bothered that Caster, who isn’t publically out as a queer identifying individual is doing this comedy angle.

Having Bowens in proximity of it certainly helps it for sure.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wyoming is so forgettable you forgot to include them when they have less recorded shows than those states.

In fact, the final state in Ricky Morton’s career was Wyoming and they had to go out of their way just to pull it off.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wyoming is so forgettable you forgot to include them when they have less recorded shows than those states.

In fact, the final state in Ricky Morton’s career was Wyoming and they had to go out of their way just to pull it off.
Wyoming did host at least one maybe two Nitros the Monday after Road Wild.

Montana also hosted a Nitro and Thunder loop in the Summer of ‘00 randomly. Nothing might be preferable to peak Vince Russo in WCW though.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Portland is basically ruled by Prestige, who get a good amount of AEW and TNA names. If they were better at announcing lineups I'd go all the time. Running Moda Center is big though however no one I know went or was really interested and those that were sounded just annoyed with wanting to see and support certain people who come to town for Prestige for that much in a less intimate venue.

Any word on Flair and Arn crossing paths again?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Oh I didn't know he left with the kid. Makes sense. Probably a big part of why Flair was an option suddenly.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh I didn't know he left with the kid. Makes sense. Probably a big part of why Flair was an option suddenly.
I believe I read from @Holiday Piss Jug Connor weekly flair update is that after someone else died, the two of them mended fences but I could be conflating that with someone else Flair decided he held a grudge against because they had the audacity to ask for their money back.

Ps: Flair has heat with Heyman now, just to update you.

Valeyard

Reaction score
What are Flair's thoughts on Israel?

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Really good Dynamite last night. Something I keep thinking about, though, is that I think MJF really is out the door on January 1.

- If you look on the events page on the AEW website, he’s not advertised for any shows after the end of December.

- They’re already ramping up his feud with the devil before the blowoff with Jay White even happens.

- They gave away a PPV main event-level match with Kenny Omega on free TV, and had it go 30+ minutes with a clean finish. Not to mention that after spending most of his AEW tenure going weeks (if not months) at a time not wrestling on free TV, they’re suddenly booking him with as many guys as they can.

Maybe I’m jumping the gun. (I hope I’m jumping the gun!) But it just seems like a lot of things that would point toward him giving notice to AEW and the company trying to do as much as they can with him before he leaves.

Valeyard

Reaction score
How different would that be if Cole wasn't hurt though? I see a lot of lowkey panic booking in there too because plans changed. Maybe they had to rework the devil stuff as a result. Maybe Flair is back to be the devil.

I'd be fine without MJF for a couple years at this point but I'm a minority.

Staff member
Reaction score
They wouldn't have given MJF the title in the first place without a new contract. There would only be one other thing worse that could happen to AEW than him leaving right after being the champion.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They wouldn't have given MJF the title in the first place without a new contract. There would only be one other thing worse that could happen to AEW than him leaving right after being the champion.
Cody was the TNT champion and working on a handshake deal at the end. It’s not the world title obviously, but there’s at least a precedent for Tony having a title on a top guy whose contract status was uncertain.

I can absolutely see a scenario in which he put the title on Max over a year ago banking on being able to get him to re-sign and then failing to do so.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Word would be out if he was legit leaving. They aren't right lipped. And he would've lost to Omega. TNT title was originally the Codyverse vanity belt, remember. It didn't mean anything until he left.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
I'd be fine without MJF for a couple years at this point but I'm a minority.
I have honestly hated his entire face turn and championship run outside of the Danielson feud. The shit with Cole made no sense to me and still doesn't. AEW was appointment TV for me before but really isn't anymore. Their ratings and attendance have been shit yet I haven't seen one person suggest it's because of what's on top right now.

Valeyard

Reaction score
To be fair MJF hasn't felt like the top guy in a long time. He just happened to have the belt and is part of an ensemble that collectively isn't working like it should. I think he's doing amazing work as a face but it was done in such a way to make me not care in the slightest about anything he does. If his whole arc was building up to him winning the title, I'd be much more receptive, but doing it while he is the champion is just not at all what I want and there is nowhere to go. I'm just extremely tired of him and need him to go away for a while.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have honestly hated his entire face turn and championship run outside of the Danielson feud. The shit with Cole made no sense to me and still doesn't. AEW was appointment TV for me before but really isn't anymore. Their ratings and attendance have been shit yet I haven't seen one person suggest it's because of what's on top right now.
Dynamite's 10 week average rating is 840k which is pretty much where it has always been, in the 800 to low 900k range. Sometimes it dips to the 700k's a couple times it's gone higher. Collision's averaging 450k in one of the worst timeslots they could have over the same span. Everyone knew they'd get slaughtered but that's a much smaller drop than was expected.

If anything Collision since Punk was taken off and MJF and other workers started appearing on it has done better in the ratings more consistently.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I don't like how Ruby is just embodying being an objectively less sexy Mami.