Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Best Casting Decisions Ever

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
BlackFlagg said:
Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan

Quoted for the truth. He just so perfectly captures the detachment and honest confusion in regards to societal acts with his body language and facial expressions. I also really love his voice... neutral but with a hint of something dark in it.

mw679

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How about Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man? I remember some people questioning this decision but it worked out perfectly in the end.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
mw679 said:
How about Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man? I remember some people questioning this decision but it worked out perfectly in the end.

I don't think that ranks as one of the best casting desicions ever. I mean Maguire worked and everything, but their are alot of other actors who could've done the same job, maybe even better.

I'm also not a big fan of the Spiderman franchise, but it has nothing to do with Maguires performance.

mw679

Integral Poster
Reaction score
EHME said:
mw679 said:

I don't think that ranks as one of the best casting desicions ever. I mean Maguire worked and everything, but their are alot of other actors who could've done the same job, maybe even better.

I'm also not a big fan of the Spiderman franchise, but it has nothing to do with Maguires performance.

Curious as to who you would put in there besides Maguire? I think he really nailed it myself, although I'm sure there are others that people would've liked in the role more. Also, I have to add Bruce Willis as John McClane and Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
mw679 said:
EHME said:
mw679 said:

Curious as to who you would put in there besides Maguire? I think he really nailed it myself, although I'm sure there are others that people would've liked in the role more. Also, I have to add Bruce Willis as John McClane and Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber.

I remember when they were casting Peter Parker, Wes Bentley got a lot of consideration. Kinda would've liked to see how he would've done in the role.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
mw679 said:
EHME said:
mw679 said:

Rickman's performance as Gruber has been ripped off by half the action movies released ever since. That was one notable performance.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Michael Madsen as Mr. Blonde
Al Pacino as Carlito Brigante
Don Cheadle as Maurice Miller (Out of Sight)
Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
EHME said:
I remember when they were casting Peter Parker, Wes Bentley got a lot of consideration. Kinda would've liked to see how he would've done in the role.

I think what made Maguire's performance stand out was that he was able to be both Peter Parker and Spiderman. I look at Wes Bentley and I could buy him as Spiderman but I'm not sure he could've pulled off the geek/nerdish Peter Parker as well as Maguire did.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Yes to Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins in SHAWSHANK. Also, Kevin Spacey as Verbal Kint in THE USUAL SUSPECTS. The whole cast was perfect as a mater of fact. Edward Norton in AMERICAN HISTORY X.

As far as TV goes, one that wasn't mentioned, Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why do you always type titles of movies in all caps?

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
EHME said:
Why do you always type titles of movies in all caps?

It's a force of habit. I post on another board and we always post movie titles in caps. Plus from interning for Fangoria magazine, that's how movie titles were typed.

chuck415

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not the best but some good ones....
Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction
Gary Cole in Office Space
Michael Clark Duncan in The Green Mile

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
chuck415 said:

I agree with this. One of the few movies that made me cry, wish he would've won an Oscar.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
EHME said:
chuck415 said:

I agree with this. One of the few movies that made me cry, wish he would've won an Oscar.

I agree with everything stated here. He was AMAZING in that part. I don't care what crap he dos for the rest of his career, I will always be a fan of his from this movie and THE WHOLE NINE YARDS.

OG

OG
Reaction score
Vin Diesel in Fast and the Furious. Say what you will about him but that role was perfect for him.

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
BlackFlagg said:
John C. McGinley as Dr. Cox and for that matter Neil Flynn as The Janitor and Ken Jenkins as Dr. Kelso

The entire cast of Scrubs is perfect, even the smaller character characters.

This casting decision is the only reason I never really got into Scrubs. I can't stand McGinley.

John C McGinley as Dr Cox is my hero. Well, without the alcoholism and crazy non-relationship with Jordan.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
just noticed Harrison Ford mentioned for Indy, but also gotta put him down for Han Solo, like Ed O'Neil for MWC this was another case of lucking into the right guy.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Kevin Bacon in MURDER IN THE FIRST. He was robbed of an Oscar because the movie company decided to move the film from a December opening to a January opening. He was amazing in that role.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Canadian Destroyer213 said:
Kevin Bacon in MURDER IN THE FIRST. He was robbed of an Oscar because the movie company decided to move the film from a December opening to a January opening. He was amazing in that role.

Yeah he was great. Also Sean Penn in Dead Man Walking.