Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Best Casting Decisions Ever

chuck415

Integral Poster
Reaction score
14awz95.jpg

Matthew McConaughey as David Wooderson. Even though he makes shitty chick flicks, McConaughey gets a pass from most guys because of this one role.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
The goodwill from that role has pretty much run out. He needs a good movie, not another crappy romantic comedy

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking at this thread, surprised not really any mention of Denzel and some of his roles, aside from me mentioning Malcolm X. A role in which he was robbed because of fucking Pacino in Scent of a Woman. What a fucking disgrace.

Regardless Denzel was flawless as Alonzo Harris, Steve Biko, Bleek Gilliam, Pvt. Silas Trip, Jake Shuttlesworth, Easy Rawlins, Dr. Jerome Davenport, Melvin B. Tolson, Rubin Carter, Coach Herman Boone, and Joe Miller...

Also Don Cheadle was amazing as Mouse Alexander in Devil in a Blue Dress.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden was a pretty good casting decision. Television wise, can you imagine anyone other than David Cross playing Tobias Funke?

tominator89

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi. The studios were against casting him cause they thought no one would take him seriously but he ended up giving the performance of his career.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Michael Douglas as Gordon Gekko... I heard they were gonna cast Warren Beauty, or Richard Gere as Gekko. Neither would hold a candle to Douglas's performance.

chuck415

Integral Poster
Reaction score
EHME said:
Looking at this thread, surprised not really any mention of Denzel and some of his roles, aside from me mentioning Malcolm X. A role in which he was robbed because of fucking Pacino in Scent of a Woman. What a fucking disgrace.

Regardless Denzel was flawless as Alonzo Harris, Steve Biko, Bleek Gilliam, Pvt. Silas Trip, Jake Shuttlesworth, Easy Rawlins, Dr. Jerome Davenport, Melvin B. Tolson, Rubin Carter, Coach Herman Boone, and Joe Miller...

Denzel pretty much owns any movie he is in. I watch John Q the other night and he made me believe he would actually off himself to save a kid. IMO he is the best actor of our generation, Denzel could play Hitler and I would buy it.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
chuck415 said:
EHME said:

Denzel pretty much owns any movie he is in. I watch John Q the other night and he made me believe he would actually off himself to save a kid. IMO he is the best actor of our generation, Denzel could play Hitler and I would buy it.
I actually want to see that, now...

muzzington

Donald Dump or whatever
Reaction score
Since I watched it again the other day, John Turturro and Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show.

atticus Chaos

(atticus Chaos) drag racing with Vince
Reaction score
Michael J. Fox in Back to the future. Any other actor and the character may have come off as another obnoxious movie teen, but his performance just holds that movie together. Otherwise it would have likely been regarded as an okay time travel comedy that nobody remebered.

I tend to think of really great casting, not as "who was good in that movie" but when you can actually attribute the success of the movie/tv show to them.

muzzington

Donald Dump or whatever
Reaction score
atticus Chaos said:
Michael J. Fox in Back to the future. Any other actor and the character may have come off as another obnoxious movie teen, but his performance just holds that movie together. Otherwise it would have likely been regarded as an okay time travel comedy that nobody remebered.

I tend to think of really great casting, not as "who was good in that movie" but when you can actually attribute the success of the movie/tv show to them.

If that's so, I'd throw up Tobin Bell as Jigsaw.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Same then goes for Brad Dourif as the voice for Chucky in the Child's Play series. He somehow managed to make a freakin' doll sound sinister and terrifying.

D

Dr. Zaius

atticus Chaos said:

Did you know almost the entire movie was originally filmed with Eric Stoltz playing Marty McFly?

atticus Chaos

Reaction score
Dr. Zaius said:
atticus Chaos said:

Did you know almost the entire movie was originally filmed with Eric Stoltz playing Marty McFly?
It wasn't the entire movie, but it was a few scenes. He was too serious, or something like that.

Did you know Kevin Costner turned down the role of Andy in The Shawshank Redemption? And Rob Reiner wanted to direct it, and put Tom Cruise in the lead. I don't totally hate either of them as actors, but, wow, that would have been bad.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
muzz said:
Since I watched it again the other day, John Turturro and Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show.
Herb Stemple is my step-grandfather (after the death of his wife and my grandmother's divorce, they got married). John Turturro was spot on. It was a great movie, even if the movie took many liberties wity the story.

dr. zoidberg

To Hell with your spoiled baby, I need those shoes
Reaction score
Since I've been on a Wes Anderson kick of late:

Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman in The Darjeeling Limited

Everyone in The Royal Tenenbaums

Bill Murray, Willem Dafoe, and Jeff Goldblum in The Life Aquatic

Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman in Rushmore

The Brothers Wilson in Bottle Rocket.

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
Smartly Pretty said:
Television wise, can you imagine anyone other than David Cross playing Tobias Funke?

Not just Funke, but the entire cast is awesome, from Ron Howard to Alia Shawkat and everyone in between.

evilhomer

Active Poster
Reaction score
Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels in Dumb and Dumber.

The Hanson Brothers in Slap Shot. Using actors with talent or intelligence would have ruined this role.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump. With a different actor this part could have come off downright laughable.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
atticus Chaos said:

I liked Fox, but personally I always thought that it was Christopher Lloyd who made the film what it is. Doc Brown is certainly easily the most recognizable character in the film.

atticus Chaos

Reaction score
Lloyd is great as well, but I think the Marty character had to be played just right. Anyone else and he could have been annoying and is written that way a bit (he basically causes most of the problems that occur in the first two movies) but Fox is so likable in the movie, it's almost impossible not to root for him.

I don't think people would still be talking about Back to the Future, if it had Eric Stoltz in the lead instead. You could say the same about Doc, but I think he was meant to be the eccentric outsider rather than the guy the audience can relate to and empathise with.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Andre Braugher as Det. Frank Pembleton.
Delroy Lindo as Rodney Little

foleyfanforever88

Integral Poster
Reaction score
chuck415 said:

I have to agree. Denzel is the only actor that can get me interested in a movie no matter what it's about. I can't remember the last Denzel movie that I didn't atleast consider going to see.

OldSchoolWrestling

Integral Poster
Reaction score
foleyfanforever88 said:
chuck415 said:

I have to agree. Denzel is the only actor that can get me interested in a movie no matter what it's about. I can't remember the last Denzel movie that I didn't atleast consider going to see.
How close is he, if not already there in some minds, to being a true legend ala Pacino, Deniro, Eastwood, etc?

The Coat Is My Father

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He'll probably be considered in the same category as them within ten years.

Kinetic and I were in the same play! Eerie.