Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Best Casting Decisions Ever

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Angus Scrimm as The Tall Man in PHANTASM. Kane Hodder as Jason. Angela Bettis as May. Robert Englund as Mayor Buckman. Cary Elways (sp? I can't check since I'm on my phone and IMDb is a bitch to bring up) as Robin Hood in MEN IN TIGHTS.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
few Deadwoods
-Keith Carradine as Wild Bill Hickok
-Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran
-Powers Boothe as Cy Tolliver

Emilio Estevez as Billy the Kid in the Young Guns movies. Young Guns is my favorite movie ever

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Buffy Nominations...
- Anthony Stewart Head as Rupert Giles. Has a great "old librarian" look but can easily transition into a believable bad ass.
- Alyson Hannigan as Willow Rosenberg. I totally love Aly but she really cemented herself in "Doppelgangland" by being able to play 4 variations of the same character with subtle different traits in each of them.
- Juliet Landau as Drusilla. Just had the look and a smoldering chemistry with James. Underutilized but I sometimes found her stealing the scene from Angelus and Spike at times in S2.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy. Just watch Season 6 for subtle perfection. Really underrated at small subtle physical motions/expressions in scenes compared to stuff where she had to be emotional or hard.

atticus Chaos

(atticus Chaos) drag racing with Vince
Reaction score
Sarah Michelle Gellar always came off as flat to me. She wasn't bad, exactly, but she was merely adequate. Certainly, it might have been Whedon's writing that ever made her come off as any good in the first place. Most of the movies she's starred in, she hasn't been very good in at all.

I remember in a review, someone noted she had a very boring on screen presence. Which I think is true. She's not wooden, and her delivery is usually fine, but she's just very dull.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd agree that Gellar has ranged from mediocre to awful in every movie I've ever seen her do. Which makes how good she often was on Buffy all the more amazing.

Someone mentioned Deadwood, but hell, really you could mention that entire fucking cast. Ian McShane is the obvious standout, but there's plenty of great work there. I finally got around to watching that show recently, and it's pretty awesome.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Movies first...
Kurt Russell as Jack Burton
Sylvester Stallone as Rocky
Carl Weathers as Apollo Creed
Mr. T as Clubber Lang
Bob Hoskins as Bart in Danny the Dog
William Forsythe as Sheriff John Quincy Wydell

Lost...
Jorge Garcia as Hurley
Josh Holloway as Sawyer
Terry O'Quinn as Locke
Michael Emerson as Ben Linus
Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Mr. Eko
Ken Leung as Miles Straume

atticus Chaos

(atticus Chaos) drag racing with Vince
Reaction score
Jingus said:
I'd agree that Gellar has ranged from mediocre to awful in every movie I've ever seen her do. Which makes how good she often was on Buffy all the more amazing.

I just remembered Katie Holmes was originally offered the role of Buffy, but she turned it down. So, yeah, maybe Gellar wasn't so bad, after all.

Gellar does have talent, but I don't know if she just makes the wrong movie choices or what. I've never seen her be flat out embaressing in an acting role, but she's never been terrific in anything either. Even in Buffy, I think it was the supporting characters that made it so great, rather than Buffy.

I think she's one of these actresses that gets by mainly on her looks, but she does have a limited amount of talent to back it up.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
She was awesome in Southland Tales... though I might be the only person who likes that film.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Southland Tales would be much much better with a road map and not so many obscenely well known stars. It takes you out of the scene when you look and say "damn, a blonde Jon Lovitz just fucked those two up"

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
But Stiffler was the second coming of Christ, him and The Rock made African-American person jokes, and Timberlake Milli Vanillia'd that Killers song. It don't get much better than that.

D

Dr. Zaius

Sean William Scott and Alyson Hannigan were perfect for/the best thing about the American Pie movies.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
oh, Stifler rocking the n word in the Rock's face to try and play racist cop was awesome. And the chick from USIdent screaming that she wanted to suck the Rock's cock on the beach was *****.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
I am glad someone else gets why this movie was so awesome. I forgot all about the chubby chick and her only goal in life at that point was to suck The Rock's dick.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KOAB said:
Sylvester Stallone as Rocky
Carl Weathers as Apollo Creed
Mr. T as Clubber Lang

You mention these but don't mention:

Burt Young as Paulie
Burgess Meredith as Mickey
and Dolph Lundgren as Ivan Drago?

You suck!

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
Most of the cast in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. In particular, Ian Holm, Andy Serkis, Sean Astin, and Ian McKellan stand out as fantastic casting jobs.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
KOAB said:
Lost...
Jorge Garcia as Hurley
Josh Holloway as Sawyer
Terry O'Quinn as Locke
Michael Emerson as Ben Linus
Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Mr. Eko
Ken Leung as Miles Straume

The first four there are pretty untouchable (particularly Michael Emerson), but Elizabeth Mitchell's Juliet is so stoic that she comes off as indifferent a lot of the time. I would have preferred someone with a little more range in that role. I agree that Triple A was great as Mr. Eko. Ken Leung is just kind of there a lot of the time, although that probably has more to do with his character than his acting.

I think both Desmond and Christian were extremely well-cast. They could have done better with Kate. Maybe the worst casting decision on the show was the very hot but extraordinarily irritating Michelle Rodriguez as Ana-Lucia.

Seinfeld was awfully well-cast, wouldn't you say? Hard to imagine anyone playing those characters any better. Jerry, in particular.

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kinetic said:
Seinfeld was awfully well-cast, wouldn't you say? Hard to imagine anyone playing those characters any better. Jerry, in particular.

Alot of it had to do with the writing of both Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
Yeah, the Jerry thing was a joke. But still, definitely great casting on that show, right down to the recurring secondary characters like Newman, George and Jerry's respective parents, etc.

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
Also, me as the mayor of a remote Mexican town in my middle school's production of A Sombrero For Santa.

sombrero.gif

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score
I mouthed along to their lines, and then threw a chair through a wall backstage after a couple of the kids forgot the words to "Senor Santa."

EHME

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Christopher McDonald as Shooter McGavin... He was perfect in his dickhead villian role. Hell alot of the secondary characters like Carl Weathers, Joe Flaherty, and Ben Stiller made that movie awesome as well.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Kinetic said:
Elizabeth Mitchell's Juliet is so stoic that she comes off as indifferent a lot of the time.

I guess I just have a thing for her and that smirk she does...