Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Boxing Thread

Staff member
Reaction score
He's not really going to be challenged until he hits 126-130-135.

Staff member
Reaction score
idk what it's like, what it takes to be in a fight like that. The amount of times they were just swinging and I would say oh my god, shit I musta said that like ten times. Sometimes you watch fighters who make you remember what it's like to love something. This was one of those times.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
It is gonna be one sided, and Fury is staying heavy to make another point about the “fat man” against the Adonis type.

I’m just worried that if the Usyk fight is indeed happening, that he won’t be in shape for it. But I wouldn’t mind because the rematch would potentially be one of the biggest boxing fights of the past couple of decades.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
PBC has reached a deal with Amazon Prime, should be good for the sport overall. I think this will help them reach a wider audience.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the fights yesterday? Curious as to how Joseph Parker managed to get the nod over Wilder. Sounds like it was a boring fight though.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the fights yesterday? Curious as to how Joseph Parker managed to get the nod over Wilder. Sounds like it was a boring fight though.
I didn't watch either (this card seemed underwhelming to me despite the big names), but sounds like his team had a horrible game plan. The score cards were pretty lopsided.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Tyson vs Paul will be a sanctioned, record-kept fight. It will also break the age disparity record set when Archie Moore clobbered Iron Mike DiBiase, the Million Dollar Man's dad.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh brother.

Silver lining for me is I feel like no matter what the result, it should (definitely not saying will but should) end whatever limited path there is to Jake Paul becoming a legitimate boxing contender.

Or maybe he pulls off the upset (is he the underdog, gambling nerds?) and sleazy boxing promoters decide to put him against a current boxing contender and he finally gets murked?

This definitely raises my interest in the fight, even if it’s taking it from like a 2 to a 4.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Usyk has GOAT credentials now imo. People will make excuses about Fury but he was still undefeated and for Usyk to dominate his weight class and step up and take out two great heavyweights makes for an insane resume.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good, close fight that thankfully ended with the right decision. I was up and yelling for Usyk to finish him at the end of Round 9

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Usyk has GOAT credentials now imo. People will make excuses about Fury but he was still undefeated and for Usyk to dominate his weight class and step up and take out two great heavyweights makes for an insane resume.
He's catching up to Holyfield in that pasture.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Usyk is probably top 20-25 among heavyweights all time, though he would be really difficult to rank if he retired today. Usyk has fought six times in the last five years. How do you rate someone like that? I do find it interesting that even as a cruiserweight rising to heavyweight, he still weighed more at his smallest than Floyd Patterson or Rocky Marciano.

Re: Tyson/Paul. The last time Tyson won a competitive fight was 21 years ago. I've been burned by Tyson shitting the bed before and I'd never rule out him suffering a leg injury or something like that that takes him completely out of a fight.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd laugh and laugh (internally. I'm not a sociopath) if Tyson got injured during training camp and fight got called off. Knowing those sleaze bags though, they'd probably just get James Toney or Hasim Rahman to be the Human Whack A Gator for Jake Paul.

I almost said Holyfield but I think/HOPE that the Vitor Belfort fight was the last time anyone notable would put him in the ring.

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing about these fights is that it’s highly questionable if they’re even real. Like even if they ‘are,’ these guys carry each other for rounds at a time for entertainment purposes, so they’re really not.