Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Boxing Thread

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh brother.

Silver lining for me is I feel like no matter what the result, it should (definitely not saying will but should) end whatever limited path there is to Jake Paul becoming a legitimate boxing contender.

Or maybe he pulls off the upset (is he the underdog, gambling nerds?) and sleazy boxing promoters decide to put him against a current boxing contender and he finally gets murked?

This definitely raises my interest in the fight, even if it’s taking it from like a 2 to a 4.
It pains me to say this, but Tyson feels like the underdog to me. I could see Jake Paul using his height and speed and age to outpoint him after Mike gasses early. Hopefully, Mike lands the kill shot, and knocks him out. Tyson is a guy that I think if he lands the right punch, could still knock people out at nearly 60. But, I figure Jake Paul dances and out paces Mike to a decision after Tyson gasses while trying to land that big punch.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd laugh and laugh (internally. I'm not a sociopath) if Tyson got injured during training camp and fight got called off. Knowing those sleaze bags though, they'd probably just get James Toney or Hasim Rahman to be the Human Whack A Gator for Jake Paul.

I almost said Holyfield but I think/HOPE that the Vitor Belfort fight was the last time anyone notable would put him in the ring.
Francois Botha can do it. Bring him out from the shadows.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I think Tyson is the favorite. But the last time he fought a legitimate fight he injured his leg in the first round, got knocked out by a journeyman and really did not want to be there in the first place. And that was a generation ago. People are constantly looking at an idealized image of Tyson that hasn't existed since 1989. And to 909's point, there's also a farcical element to these fights that precludes what people want to see, a brutal Tyson knockout. The chance for disappointment on this one is there.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's great for the many people into the celebrity thing, though. These people aren't tuning in for a classic knockout. The same people were more focused on Knots Landing in Tyson's heyday and reality tv when Silva and Sonnen had their actual mma matches.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And how did I just now see Jake Paul is fighting Mike Perry in July lol. Perry is a piece of shit, but this is probably a more dangerous fight than most of the MMA guys he's faced because Perry still seems physically sharp.

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll say this. If Jake beats Mike Perry he would have murdered Tyson. Nobody in their right mind would think Tyson could beat Perry.

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan Garcia is a piece of shit. Why couldn't he have killed himself

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

First, days before the bout, he will ingest a drug derived from the poison of the Sonoran Desert toad-known as 5-MeO-DMT or simply "the Toad"-for what he calls a one-way trip to meet God. He's done the psychedelic close to a hundred times now, but he doesn't know what he'll talk to God about this time. He only knows it'll be deep.

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll say this. If Jake beats Mike Perry he would have murdered Tyson. Nobody in their right mind would think Tyson could beat Perry.
Yeah if you think Tyson would win you drank too much bad koolaid

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Mike Perry got fucking killed. How the hell did this guy beat MVP in BKFC? MVP must have really bad hands, or bad defence himself. I can understand Perry beating the other mma guys because they all looked washed. Maybe there’s something about bkfc that levels the playing field.

He looked like he had no defence in there. With that being said, there was a sizeable weight advantage for Paul.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Madrimov deserves way better than +450 odds, and the fight is close enough in my eyes that it’s worth betting on. honestly, I think he’ll beat Crawford.