Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Chips: Your favorite brand/flavor ever?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
0003800084753_500X500.jpg

Don't know if these are new but saw them/ate them for the first time today. Taste like those god damn Andy Capp Hot Fries. We'll see if it has the same effect on my gastrointestinal system.

Incidentally, Walgreen's I bought these at were also selling huge bulk sized bags of Andy Capp Hot Fries for 2 for 4 (or $2.50 for one). I did not get any.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Taste like those god damn Andy Capp Hot Fries. We'll see if it has the same effect on my gastrointestinal system.

Incidentally, Walgreen's I bought these at were also selling huge bulk sized bags of Andy Capp Hot Fries for 2 for 4 (or $2.50 for one). I did not get any.
I don't think I've seen Andy Capp hot fries in Canada.

It also begs the question as to why the fuck they have Andy Capp-branded merch in the US. I have nothing against Andy Capp - I enjoyed the comic strip when I was younger - but he's rather definitively British, and since he's in a newspaper strip it's unlikely to resonate with kids who would presumably be picking up these Hot Fries.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Capp%27s_fries

On the back of some packages, Zesty Ranch was listed as one of the flavors, but it was never produced

huh

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Andy Capp is still featured in newspaper cartoon strips in the States. I know that kids don't read them but there's still plenty of Garfield and Peanuts branded stuff in the USA too. Although those have TV shows that I'm sure (I hope...) kids still watch.

Also if you let your kids eat Andy Capp Hot Fries, you're a horrible parent. I think I'd rather give an eight year old a beer than a bag of those....

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder if you can still get them from ice cream trucks. That's the only place I ever saw them growing up.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's funny you mention that. Until I saw them in Walgreen's, only place I'd ever seen Andy Capp Hot Fries was at independent convenience stores/gas stations in out of the way locations. Can't remember seeing them a single time at a grocery store or 7-Eleven.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Scarily enough, I only knew of Andy Capp fries from the section of the school cafeteria that sold chips and candy and shit.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is great, I just bought 2 bags of Andy Capp branded fries (one cheddar, one hot) while getting BBQ sauce for my pulled chicken sandwiches and come on here to see you all discussing the merits of this wondrous snack. Haven't had any in a while.

Also, as far as cartoons go, I only buy the canned spinach that has Popeye on the label.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
CookieMueller said:
Scarily enough, I only knew of Andy Capp fries from the section of the school cafeteria that sold chips and candy and shit.

Same here. They sold them in my cafeteria in middle school. People used to stock up on them and sneak bites during class.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Andy Capp's Hot Fries are some of my favorite chips ever produced. They're available basically everywhere here.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wasabi Ginger won! You know it's legit when America's bacon obsession actually failed to win.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
I preferred the bacon mac and cheese but it was way too similar to cheesy garlic bread so I'm OK with that. Anything but the fuck cappuccino ones!

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
52402-potato-chips-south-african-seasoning-di.png

Got these for the Hell in a Cell Party tonight on a whim. Yes, two people there made "Don't want no EBOLA CHIPS" joke already so no need for that. They were pretty good. Like a BBQ chip except it tasted sort of like legit BBQ meat. Not just the sauce. No idea if it actually tastes like South African BBQ. God damn Trader Joe's. Good chip though. 8 out of 10.

Hope I don't get EBOLA now.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
OK so those Sriracha chips.

First off, despite what it says on the packaging, it's not hot. Maybe a little spicy, but definitely not at the level one would expect from a chip with the flavour of a hot sauce.

Apart from the heat, I think they got the taste right. I was worried that this might taste too much like ketchup chips (which I don't believe you have in the States) but thankfully they managed to stay away from that. So basically it's a neutered Sriracha, which, if this was actually hot sauce, would not be good, but since it's a chip it's a letdown but not bad.

I'll call this one about 8/10, even with the lack of heat.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
There are new Cheez-It Grooves which are kind of a cross between regular Cheez-Its and Triscuits. The cheddar ranch ones are tremendous.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This year's Lay's Pick Your Flavor batches are by far the best and I haven't even had all four. Southern Biscuits & Gravy and Greektown Gyro are somewhat shockingly pretty damn good. West Coast Truffle Fries are also tasty but taste too much like just a regular Sour Cream & Onion/Cheddar & Sour Cream type chip. New York Reuben is the one I haven't tried but it's the second most promising one on paper.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Just had a bag of the Reuben ones and they was amazeballs, as close to tasting like an actual reuben as possible.

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
Just opening the Reuben bag was an experience unto itself. It smelled like a whole deli. I'd have to pick that one. The biscuits and gravy is almost as good, but the pepper is a bit too strong. Truffle Fries were better than I thought but there's no way I'd eat a whole bag - too rich for my blood. It'd be good to have a handful of, but no more.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
These are the Canadian flavours:

image.jpg

BBQ Baked Beans, Butter Chicken, Montreal Smoked Meat, and PEI Scalloped Potatoes.

The very idea of baked beans (one of my least favourite popular food items ever) as chips disgusts me.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Butter chicken poutine disgusts me, can't see it making a delicious transition to chip form. The smoked meat one might be decent if it tasted like the pickling spice they use on the brisket but artificial meat flavours.....no thanks.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I got a few bags off both countries' during the long weekend.

The Reuben were fantastic, but with a bit of a pickle taste (which was unexpected, but still delicious). I bought a bag of the Gyro as well but didn't get a chance to try them.

Picked up the Montreal Smoked Meat and Butter Chicken the next day when I got back to Canada. The butter chicken were okay, almost a little too sweet. The Montreal were terrific, although with a taste of mustard almost more predominant than the smoked meat. Still terrific though.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't imagine what they'd taste like. And I'm quite familiar with the taste of scalloped potatoes. Onion and cream?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I've never gotten any of the flavor contest chips. A couple weekends ago I was making burgers and ended up grabbing a bag of Biscuits and Gravy, as the store had all but the Gyro ones, which were the main ones I wanted. Surprisingly enjoyable but it weirded me out how much they tasted like sausage gravy.

Last night I found the Gyro ones when running errands, bought a bag to try at some point, probably this weekend.

Went to Subway for lunch today and they had the single bags of gravy and truffle fries. Got the truffle fries. Don't know if they didn't mesh with my sub but they were bland to me. Then again, we know what happens to people who enjoy things from Subway...

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Alright, the gyro ones were solid but pretty overpowering. Based on my total lack of interest in Reuben, I'd have to say Biscuits and Gravy gets my vote this year because it seemed like the least greasy out of all of them. Maybe it is because I barely ever eat chips but these all seemed super greasy. Even the one I vote for, I probably wouldn't seek out again.